Sent home too early? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sent  home too early? Sent home too early?

Unread 01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Sent home too early?

Hello! I had my hysterectomy on friday, jan. 21st and was sent home on saturday. I am in a lot of pain and also very constipated and think i should of stayed in longer, has anyone else been sent home so soon? I had a abdominal hysterectomy. I am on vicodin for pain but that isn't helping very much! Thanks, Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Sent home too early?

Dee,

I too had a TAH. I was in for 3 days after the surgery. I was really in a lot of pain and used the Morphine up till the day before I went home.

Did they give you a reason for your discharge? Did your doctor feel comfortable letting you go? Sometimes insurance plays a big factor in the length of time we are allowed to stay.

When are you scheduled to see your Doctor again? What did they give you for constipation? Or did they OK using OTC meds to help with that?

This site has been a wealth of information for me. Keep checking and I am sure you will hear from others. This is just what came to mind reading your posts. If you are not comfortable being home already, maybe you could call your MD and see about getting a home nurse to check in with you. Just some ideas and thoughts.

Take care. Rest is the most important thing. Rest and water.

Andi
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Sent home too early?

Wow, that is an early release...

By the way, the pain meds WILL make you constipated, so be sure you're taking something else to help "move" things along. If you do a search here for constipation, you'll get all kinds of suggestions. I took percocet and 800mg Ibuprofen when I got home and it did seem to help with the pain. Are you taking ibuprofen at all? Maybe call Dr. and ask???

I hope you can get some relief soon,
Virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Sent home too early?

Hi,

Personally I think none of us stay long enough. My surgery was Friday 1:30 and I was released 44 hours later...sun 9:30. You hardly had time for anything to function. My only goal to meet was to start solid food, pee and have tummy sounds. I wanted to go home more than anything...had a terrible room mate and I wasn't getting any attention from my nurses.

I believe you when you say you hurt. Dee, I hope you have some help at home. Call the doctor on Monday AM and tell him you're still in alot of pain. My pain pills never took away the pain, it just eased up a bit, and if I'd laid really still I could manage. I also altered every 4 hours with 800 mg inbetween the pain pills. This helps to reduce the swelling inside. Don't do anything different without asking your doctor.

It was 6 days before my first real BM. It was awful...lots of swearing done in that little room! I took 2 stool softeners a day. The pain meds cause constipation big time. Try to drink as much water as you can. I finally had to take Milk of magnesia ...1/2 the dose to get results. I didn't want cramping but had just a little. Add cooked prunes and fresh fruit to your diet. I didn't feel like eating when I hurt so bad, so I understand you probably don't want to think about food.

Dee, I hurt really badly for the first 2-3 weeks. I cried here all the time!! It does get better....and you were released too soon as far as I'm concerned.

Maralyn
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Sent home too early?

The after effects of surgery hurt badly enough. It's like you were scraped out with a jagged blade, then set on fire, right? But the gas pains just add to it. I was so afraid to [email protected] because the vibration might hurt! But, I did it! You can't really let the gas go, lying on your behind, either. And, it hurts to move, I know. Maybe shift from one side to the other in the bed, changing positions slowly. I used Metamucil and it helped get things going. I use it every day, for years. It's not a habit forming thing. Just added bulky fiber and moisture. Don't strain on the toilet. You'll just cause stretching problems inside, if you sit for more than two minutes, they say.
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Sent home too early?

Here's some more info. that may help. Drink lots of water to get things going. Or hot tea. Liquids!

This is embarrassing, but when I couldn't go and after sugery hurt everywhere, even sitting on the toilet, if I could not poo, I'd lean to one side, then to the other on the toilet. At the same time, do a Kegel with your bum and your other, if you can. (Hey, I learned this from watching my constipated dog. He really knew how to work it! He got results for himself.) Anyway, I hope no one remembers me for this post and thinks of this! The first week or two after surgery is so so not fun. But at least it's over. Rest, rest rest.
Feel better!
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Rest As Much As You Can

Hi To All,

Just wanted to say that you sure were sent home to soon. It doesn't seem fair. I had my hysterectomy on a tuesday evening at 5:30 and was sent home at 7:30 on thursday morning. My roommate was there for 5 days. We did not have the same doctor. We both had the same medical plan. Her doctor told her not to worry about her length of stay. He always kept his patients four to six days. He said he takes the responsibility of answering to the insurance company. I felt like I was not ready to be sent home. If I were sent home as early as you, I probably would have ended up in the emergency room becauseof the pain.
Hope that you will have a complete recovery. It does get better as time goes on. Take care. We are here for you if you need to talk.

Hystersister,
Evelyn
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Sent home too early?

I really think each case is different. If I would have had any complications or if I hadn't had someone to help me during the first week, I would have been angry at being sent home after 1 day. As it was, I did not have complications and my DH is great.

Some on here have suggested that we loudly complain to whomever is responsible for our short stay.. whether that is the doctor or the insurance. Like I said, if I had complications I would most definitely complain LOUDLY!

PS My constipation was alleviated by lots of water, lots of prunes, and stool softeners. No pain. No swearing!
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Sent home too early?

omg that is way too early i had mt op on 24/11 and was released on 29/11 ansd wasnt ready to be at home even then.your sitaution is ridiculous, take care !!
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:43 AM
Sent home too early?

I had a TAH in May. My surgery was at 1:30 on a Fri. and I was released at 4:00 on Sunday. I know it was way too early for me. My incision was bleeding when I got home. I had to go in to my doctor's Mon. morning and have my staples removed. A hematoma had developed. I had alot of drainage all day Sun., but the nurse never notified my dr. about it. I am sure he would have kept me longer because of this.A 45 minute drive home was way too much for me and I know it wasn't good on my incision!
I am having posterior and maybe anterior repairs this Tuesday. My dr. told me 1-2 nights in the hospital. I told him I opt for the 2 nights. He said he will see. I can't see that long drive with the condition my hiney will be in.

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register