Labial Adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Labial Adhesions Labial Adhesions

Unread 01-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Labial Adhesions

Has anyone here had this problem? What seems to have happened (now I'm just self-diagnosing here) is that a band of tissue has grown across the anal side of my vagina. It makes it very painful to have intercourse, and it seems to be getting larger(?). It appears to be labial adhesions.

Apparently, it is not too uncommon in pre-menopausal girls, and I have seen a mention or two for post-menopausal women. Frequently the treatment for girls is vaginally applied estrogen cream.

I have a call into my doc - we've been playing telephone tag for a couple of weeks. I hope to hear back from him today - I am staying home.

This band is also making it uncomfortable to sit (just when I thought I had my sitting problems licked with Myofascial Release!).

Esme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Labial Adhesions

Esme:

You poor dear! I sure know about pain with intercourse and what a drag that can be.

I had some problems with my episiotomy not healing well and used premarin cream. That really helped quickly. Do you feel a band in there or is it possible it is a dryness issue? Like a dry patch? Premarin will help vaginal dryness, too. Could be really worth asking about.

Good for you in calling your doctor. Hope you are able to get him on the phone.
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Labial Adhesions

Well, I intially thought it was just dryness and that the lubrication I was using just wasn't cutting it. I actually took a look at it today for the first time. If I pull my outer labia apart, I can see a very thin membrane of tissue that covers part of my vagina that wasn't there before surgery. It's kind of like the webbing between your index finger and thumb, but thinner. No wonder it hurts!!

I was prescribed vaginal cream (at the time, this was a little irritation and the cream was supposed to be more for the vaginal tissues), and I used it for a few weeks, but it is so messy, and it really puts a damper on the sex life when you're always leaking this stuff, and I'm sure it's not healthy for the tissues down there to be moist all the time.

HOWEVER, if my skin gradually fuses shut (as it apparently can), then sex will be impossible!

Oh dear, I don't know what to do, and now I'm SO depressed. I want to talk to my doctor NOW.

How do other women deal with the mess of vaginal creams?? I mean I've always been OK with them for infections short-term. But, the thought of dealing with them long-term . . . And my DBF is queasy about stuff like that (having it come out on him). Last time we made love a couple of weeks ago, he stopped because he knew he was hurting me and we haven't been intimate since. I feel like I'll ever enjoy sex again! Okay, now I'm just venting.

Esme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Labial Adhesions

Vent all you want, Esme. That's why we're here.

From what you describe, that tissue sounds like it would be possibly removed/clipped with local anesthetic in the office.

Have you read up on vaginal dialators? That might be something that will be proposed as a way of slowly stretching your tissue back out.

I feel certain that this is an issue that can be resolved one way or another. I do hope your calls back soon!
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Labial Adhesions

Vent all you want, Esme. That's why we're here.

From what you describe, that tissue sounds like it would be possibly removed/clipped with local anesthetic in the office.

Have you read up on vaginal dialators? That might be something that will be proposed as a way of slowly stretching your tissue back out.

I feel certain that this is an issue that can be resolved one way or another. I do hope your calls back soon!
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Labial Adhesions

Esme,

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. I agree with Michelle, it sounds like it could be snipped in the doc's office, but I really think he needs to know what is going on with it. I know all about the sex thing. Dh and I haven't had sex since August cause of the pain. And no matter what, I refuse to have sex, cause myself pain just to satisfy him. His needs are met every once in a while (not as much as he would like..LOL) but I also wonder will I ever have an enjoyable sex life again. I could live without it ( I did for years) but I feel sorry for my DH (sometimes). But sex is the last thing on my mind about my health. But for you, this is the only thing that is hindering you at this time and i wish I could give you some secret remedy, but I believe this one needs to be seen by the doc. Please let us know what he says.
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Labial Adhesions

I've never got the labial adhesions but hopefully they can do something about it. And sex, whats that? LOL It's been so long for me. I'm scared to death. I'm divorced and hide out at home mostly because I'm so fatigued but the whole dating thing scared me to death. I would be so scared to have sex because I'm so dry. It feels like diaper rash. I can't imagine a new man in my life dealing with it. I have memories of great sex but at 50 years old I had hoped to still be having it, not just thinking about my memories. These Hysterectomy's the Dr's are so happy to do just have to many long term complications. I still have regrets everyday about the surgery because it wasn't medically necessary but wishin I hadn't done it doesn't help. I know I need to be more positive. It's just hard when I feel so darn horrible.
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Labial Adhesions

Linda - I'm so sorry you are having so many problems. I dread the thought that my SO and I might split and then I have to deal with dating and having sex with a new guy - UGH, so I know what you mean.

BUT, you know what? There ARE kind, sensitive men out there who are NOT put off by a scar or an inconvenience or two. I had kidney surgery at 17 and have a scar going about a third of the way around my waist, and I wasn't aware of any man being put off by it! Of course, my hysterectomy scar is more obvious and uglier, but oh well.

A couple of suggestions:

1. I LOVE astroglide!! Make sure you buy the liquid, not the gel. The gel is like KY, which gets all gooey and dry after a little while. Astroglide liquid feels more like natural lubricant, and it lasts much longer, especially if you are using it inside and not outside

2. I think in all of our cases, if you don't use it, you lose it. At least that's what I've heard, and perhaps might be part of what I'm experiencing. I've seen recommendations that we either have sex everyday, or use a dildo everyday for 5 minutes minimum - just inserting it in and holding it in there - it keeps the blood flowing to those tissues and helps to keep them healthy.

3. I hear ya on the diaper rash thing - and I think that also might be contributing to what I've got going on. Topical estrogen (which basically stays in the vaginal tissues) is supposed to help. I think I am going to start using this again, along with putting it outside daily.

But, the main thing is that if we don't take care of our vaginal tissues and vulva now, it will get harder to get them healthy later.

This latest problem has motivated me to start doing my PT work again, and take better care of myself. I'm doing pelvic floor exercises as well so I don't end up with a prolapse.

I can't think like I did in my 20's that if I get out of shape, it will just require more work later. This time there might not be getting back into better shape if I don't do it now!

So please keep your chin up, and maybe explore your "new" body so that you'll know what feels good when the time does come. I know how frustrating it is to not feel the same way, either (parts of me have even shrunk!). I am hoping once I get past this pain with intercourse thing, I might actually enjoy it again.

Also, if it wasn't medically necessary, can you look into some HRT? That might help with the dryness and the fatigue.

Esme

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register