Questions for TVH sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for TVH sisters Questions for TVH sisters

Unread 01-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Questions for TVH sisters

During my third week, my GYNO did an internal exam. Then he told me that unless I have problems, I didn't have to see him again. However, I see othe sisters talking about multiple exams as the weeks go by. Is that just the TAH sisters?

My Gyno considers this no big deal. He's terrific BEFORE surgery, but afterward he blows me off. He just doesn't have time for me. Can't be bothered by me.

Most of the time I'm okay. Sometimes I feel like I'm having a period, cramping and lower back pain. That's it. Pain management is fine. I normally don't use pain medicine. I hate taking the stuff anyway. Maybe I don't need to see him.

It would lik to know what other TVH sisters think. My Gyno is really busy with other patients, with women who are having babies. I understand that, but I can't help feeling neglected. Are my hormones and emotions just messing with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 01:16 AM

(((Kindred))), I think... yes, your hormones and emotions are messing with you... but also yes, you have a right to feel neglected.

I don't see how a DR can be certain without doing a pelvic exam that it's ok for you to go ahead and have intercourse, that you're healed enough, especially after vaginal surgery. Most of our DRs do a pelvic at around six to eight weeks post op (mine was at six; I also had another one at three weeks but that's because I was having problems). At my six week checkup, my DR was able to see that there were no more stitches hanging about in there, that the cuff was healing nicely and everything looked OK.

If your DR won't see you at six to eight weeks, I'd suggest that you make an appointment with your family DR or internist/GP and ask him or her to check to make sure you are healed well enough to resume sexual activity. It's really the responsibility of the DR who performed the surgery to do that, but if the surgeon is 'too busy' with his pregnant patients (as many OB/GYNs are, unfortunately), you must look elsewhere for support.

And, how about those hormones, anyway? Who is going to work with you to make sure you're on an even keel hormonally speaking? Who will be responsible for making sure you get regular pap smears, mammograms and bone (DEXA) scans? I'd suggest that you choose a DR you feel comfortable with, rather than the one who did your surgery... choose someone you feel listens to you and tries to help when something is not quite right.

If you don't have a DR like that, and want to find one, one way to do it is to ask a compounding pharmacist in your area which DRs prescribe HRT's through them. You don't necessarily have to use compounded HRT's, it's just a way to find a DR who is familiar with hormones, HRT's and women's health matters. To find a compounding pharmacist near you, you can go to www.iacprx.org and use their pharmacy locator. We've had many ladies here who have used this method to find a new DR when their surgeon suddenly 'lost interest' after the initial recovery period was over.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-25-2005, 01:27 AM

1) What are HRT's?
2) I kept my ovaries, do I still need HRT's?

See, I know nothing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 02:46 AM
T V H Sister

Kindred
Greeting's

I Too Had a T V H With A & P Repair , Rectum Repair, Kept Ovarys on Jan 3
.52 hrs in hospital , 48 hrs with Catheter, First Meal 4 hrs after went in for Surgery. Pain Pump 24 hrs And Off Pain Pill 7 days then just motrin .
I Just Went For My 2 ish Week Check Up , Next Appt in 4 weeks For My 6 week ,with Pelvic Exam To see if Stiches are Healing Right And That My Vagial Cuff Is Ok And Healing Normally , And If It Is Then I Can Have Sex ,if I feel iam ready. E Mail Me Any time We Can compair Surgerys and recovery
Hessicia/Cathie
Southern Calif
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:50 AM
H R T

Oh Sorry

H Hormone

R Replacment

T Therapy

If You Kept Your Ovary You Should Be Ok , Unless Your Ovary Go Into Shock And Quit Produing Hormones

Cathie/Hessicia
Unread 01-25-2005, 06:33 AM

my gyn did an internal exam at 3 6 and 9 weeks before he finally released me for intercourse and regular exercise, I apparently wasn't healing as quickly as I should have and he didn't want me to take any unnessassary risks.
Unread 01-25-2005, 03:39 PM

I was released at 2 weeks but told no intercourse until 6 weeks. Trust your doctor. Not every doctor wants to see you at 6 weeks. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you're not feeling well or have questions, call your doc.

Love and blessings,
Angie K.
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure why your dr. would only want to see you for a 3 wk follow up but I can tell you what my schedule was. I had a TVH on Sept. 28, 2004. I was seen at 1 wk, 3wks & 6wks. My dr. also plans on seeing me every 3 months for the 1st year and then every 6 months and if all still is ok I will go to yearly visits. I only recently had a complication that required an additional visit. My suggestion is that if YOU are at all uncomfortable with the schedule your dr. plans... call the office and ask to speak with the nurse or dr. to voice your concerns. It seems to me that if the dr. is truely commited to making you feel ok, he/she would be more than willing to have you come in again for a 6 wk check up if only to ease your mind. Hope everything works out for you!
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:34 PM

Hi, I also had a doc that did the same as yours. He saw me at I cant remember if it was 2 or 3 wks and then said I didnt need to come back. He didnt want to have to "POKE ME AGAIN". Those were his exact words. Real nice huh.
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:20 PM

There is a lot I don't know about. Questions pop into my mind. I get info here, but I think my doctor should have told me this stuff. I don't even know when or if I need to see him yearly or every three years or never again! As I said before, I know nothing!

My Gyno ignored me like this before. When I had my endo. ablation I had to wait till he came back from vacation to see him. My inside my abdomin hurt, but I hung on till I could see him. The day I went in, he was running around trying to catch up. He ran into the exam room, talked to be very briefly, said that he didn't need to see me till the next year, then he ran out. I sat there with my mouth open. I was so hurt that he blew me off like that. I just swallowed it and went home. The pain got worse. The following week I went to my GP and he freaked. I had an infection inside. A year later I saw my Gyno and he was surprised by what I said. I wanted to slap him.

I want to make an appt., get my list of questions together, ask him my questions, then tell him that I don't appreciate the way he treats me after surgery. I may not be pregnant, I can never carry a child, but I'm just as much one of his patient as they are. I pay my copayment, my insurance company pays him for his time, I deserve equal treatment. If he gets POd at me, fine. I let him get away with too much too long. I deserve better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register