How bad is this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How bad is this? How bad is this?

Unread 01-25-2005, 05:17 AM
How bad is this?

Is this the longest wait for a post-op appointment in the world?

Surgery on 23rd of Nov 04
Post-op appointment ... 21st March 05 !!!
Thats over 16 weeks since I had the surgery.

I know the NHS is a bit slow, but this is ridiculous. I also know its because they forgot to book the appointment when I was in the Hosp, not because of any other reason (I was told by the Dr's Sec that I had been over looked in the bookings)

Oh well ....

Anyone else had a silly wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 05:25 AM
How bad is this?

Tanis - I thought mine was a long wait, and it was only 8 weeks! Mine wasn't lost in the paperwork, though. (first. last & only - fortunately no complications)

16 weeks is a little much, I think!
Hope all is OK.

joano
Unread 01-25-2005, 03:59 PM
How bad is this?

I agree, so I rang back after lunch.
The Sec agreed that I should be seen sooner, so she is going to try and get me squeezed in before that.
Said she would have a word with the Dr and as soon as she knew anything she would let me know.

Still waiting

Mind you I think 8 weeks is a bit of a wait too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 02:09 PM
no post op appointment

When I left the hospital I asked the nurse about the follow up appointment at 6 weeks. She went and asked the doctor on duty and said no you dont have one.

I only had an appointment this week coz I had to go back in with a bad infection which I had for the first 4 weeks when I came out of hospital and I had to be readmitted.

It isnt a foregone conclusion that you get a 6 week post op check up.

Apparently they dont do them anymore

hope everything is going well

Take care.
Unread 01-26-2005, 04:12 PM
How bad is this?

I had my op on 24.11.04 and my post op is on 29.04,05!!!!i went back in to be restitched but had to nip back to have them checked so i think my wait is slightly longer than yours tanis.when i got my appointment card i was like omg what!!!
Unread 01-26-2005, 04:22 PM
How bad is this?

Tanis---I hope you have heard from the doc's office and got another appointment.

Candy----that is waayyyy too long! I would call the office back and demand to be seen at 6 weeks.

Welsh----It is a very good idea to be seen by the doc around the 6 week mark so that you can make sure everything is okay and if you work, you will need to be "released" by the doc with a note. Even though I also had an infection and was seen at week1 and 2, i still had my 6 week appt.

Candy, I am still in shock over your appt being in April...wow..that is just insane!
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:06 PM
How bad is this?

Candypops, thats a over a month longer than me! (about 6 weeks longer in fact That is way to long, but I didn't have to have a re-stitch thankfully. That may be why the delay, as that is classed as an ongoing issue from the surgery and puts you back down the list .

welshlady, you still should have a check up at some point post op, just in case you still have any q's or issues relating to surgery, or incase you need to be refered on. Also they are supose to give you information on the pathology of your surgery at this appointment.
I would check that point out, I know the NHS can be bad at times but not that lax.

marian, we UK sisters have a lot of trouble with appointments ect here in the UK and are at the mercy of the system
We can't demand to be seen, we can ask to be put on the cancelation list for a short notice appointment, but that is the best we can hope for.
That is the big disadvantage with the NHS system :cry:
I rang the Dr's Sec again today and she said I would have to wait untill the date given as my Dr isn't free before that.

Thanks for the replies though.
Unread 01-27-2005, 01:24 AM
How bad is this?

Nooo tnais the appontment was scheduled when i was released the first time!!so it had nothing to do with the restitching!!ive been seen at 3 weeks though so am using this next appointment to blag them with all my questions about my endo!!
Unread 01-27-2005, 02:38 AM
How bad is this?

thats still ridiculous Candy, I think our appointment system is one of the worst in world, once you get through the system, I can't fault the care 99% of the staff give us.

Thats why I wanted to get to my appointment, you realy have to hit them hard to get a straight answer out of them, and find out the results and findings of what happened.
As they seem to delight in telling you their findings while you are still under the influence of heavy drugs (how do they expect you to remember anything when you stoned on morphine I don't know)

As I still have issues around the Endo thing and my R/Ovary I have a nice long list of Q's to give them.
I think if my appointment was that far off I would be likely to forget it!
Unread 01-27-2005, 04:19 AM
How bad is this?

Tanis - I had my op on Dec 1st and my follow up appointment is April 17. I thought it would be a long wait as I know the consultant has a VERY busy surgery, partly because he spends time with his patients, partly because it is a major city centre hopsital so I have used my GP for 3 week and 7 week check up, she was very happy to do it.

I will keep my April appointment for now but I may not need it. Just today I received a copy of the path lab report (fortunately no nasty surprises).
Best of luck with your journey through the NHS!
Ps you already guessed I am UK based.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register