Questions I should ask the oncologist | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions I should ask the oncologist Questions I should ask the oncologist

Unread 01-18-2001, 03:29 AM
Questions I should ask the oncologist

Hi there;

I just had a hysteroscopy and D&C done Tuesday 01/16/01 due to abnormal bleeding and an initial uterine biopsy which resulted in atypical complex hyperplasia cells.

My doctor called me Wednesday with the initial pathology report that stated the endometrium tissue showed a stage 1 carcinoma. I am scheduled for a hyst. on 02/01/01 and initially my doctor was thinking of doing a vaginal removing only the uterus. However, with this additional diagnosis, I am thinking that I should have a complete hyst removing the ovaries and cervix too.

I am scheduled to meet with an oncologist Monday that will assist my gynocologist with the surgery for consultation purposes during the procedure. Needless to say I am trying to gather as much information as possible so that I can ask some informed questions. Please offer suggestions to me...
I am trying to stay focused on the positives, but of course feel a bit "clouded" in my preparation for Mondays meeting. My husband is coming with me to see the oncologist because 2 heads are usually better than 1.

Please help me by sharing any important questions I should be asking and sharing your experiences with me. Thanks. I look forward to hearing back from you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2001, 06:07 AM
Similar story

Hi, I had the same tests as you. My 1st diagnosis was complex atypical hyperplasia. Though they wanted to do a hyst, I felt it was pre-cancer. Went for a second opinion and that path report said it was adenocarcinoma.
When it's cancer they can't do a vaginal hyst because they need to see what's going on. The laproscopically assisted vaginal hyst can be done. I went to a surgeon who specialized in gyn oncology. She said it was too risky to leave the ovaries and cervix. I wasn't looking to give up anything, but I trusted her judgement. So I had a LAVH/BSO.
My cancer ended up being Staged 1b as it had penetrated the uterine muscle. They didn't need to take lymph nodes as it was contained. She does suggest internal radiation (3 treatments) - insurance that it doesn't come back. She says not every place does that, but they recommend it. I'm seeing the radiation oncologist on the 23rd.
Make sure your surgeon is very skilled and comfortable with this procedure. Mine assured me that she wasn't married to the procedure and if there were any problem, she'd go into an abdominal. My surgery went very well and I'm very happy I was able to have it done LAVH.
Hope some of this helps. If you need to ask me anything, you can E-mail. [email protected]

SUSKI
LAVH/BSO Dec.21
Endometrial Cancer
Unread 01-18-2001, 06:15 AM
Similar story

Hi, Just deleted a duplicate. Hope it worked!

SUSKI
LAVH/BSO Dec.21
Endometrial Cancer
[Edited by SUSKI on 01-18-2001]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register