can someone shed some light on this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can someone shed some light on this can someone shed some light on this

Unread 01-25-2005, 05:40 PM
can someone shed some light on this

I just got home from my surgery on the 20th. Why have I gained almost 7 pounds. I look 8 months pregnant, I'm so depressed. I am always hungry but as soon as I eat it taste like poison. Nothing tastes normal. So hardly no eating but gaining weight. I had a TAH/BSO cervix left in, removal of endo and fibroids. The only complaint I have is the lower left back side(Siatica) maybe I'm not sure but its killing me. Also insomminia my dr. dont want to give me hrt until Im moving around comfortably. Whats going on am I the only one to gain, I was reading that everyone was losing 7-10 pounds I was actually looking forward to it. Help...Thanks Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 05:51 PM

Grace,

I've gained a couple of pounds. My belly is very swollen. My doc says that the swellilng will last about 8 weeks or so. It's normal. I started HRT while in the recovery room. Don't know why your doc is waiting. Food tasted HORRID to me for the first few days. I still can't drink cranberry juice. I had to slowly get back into eating my normal diet. I'm doing just fine in that area...eating like I've never eaten before...

Heal well, Grace.

Jeanne
Unread 01-25-2005, 06:01 PM
swelly belly

My doctor told me this morning she wants me to wait for the hrt because I have been feeling very weak and she said some other stuff. I wasnt really hearing her because I was acutally almost fainting from the pain med. but it passed. I see her again next week on Thus, we will see then. I wonder if we will loose this weight....Were you told that you will gain weight on the hrt, im dreading it really. Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 06:12 PM

My Dr did not start me on a HRT until my 5 week post-op, he said he wanted my body to adjust and to make sure that I even needed one. Not sleeping is par for the course after surgery, there are many, many post pertaining to this. My sleep finally resumed after I started on my HRT. As of yet I have not noticed a change in appetite but I have heard it can go either way, weight loss or gain. Also, your enlarged belly is not from your weight, your belly swells (known here at hystersisters as "swelly belly" ) after surgery and from what I have read everyone is different so I don't know how long it will last. I am 6 weeks and have just gotten back into my jeans but after a long day my sweats still feel good.

You are very early post-op so don't be too hard on yourself. Let your body heal.
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:15 PM
thanks

thanks for the information. I will be waiting patientally for my body to heal..Grace
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Im six wks and foods are starting to taste good again. It's funny though because you know how most people crave choc. or something before their period? Well, I dont know if when I had my op that went with it or what because I dont crave choc at all anymore. When I do try some, it doesn't taste the same. I really dont have the taste for anything sweet. It just doesnt taste good. I am hungry alot though. I go to the doc on friday. I'm afraid to see how much i've agained.
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Hi ladies,

You are all still in the early recovery stages so at this point, swelly belly is quite common.

Still, you want to pay attention to the changes in your body because I see that most of you have had oophorectomies, which is much more involved than hysterectomy only. The ovaries are key endocrine organs and as such, DO contribute, significantly, to weight, appetite, digestive system, sleep, and so on. (So much more, but that is another subject.)

Most women who have oophorectomies do experience weight gain but there is hope if you can get a good handle on your bodies own, unique, hormone formula.

The reason some doctors wait for HRT is because women's bodies actually store hormones (mostly in tummy fat) and although most women run out rather quickly, it can take up to a year for some to use their stored supply. Therefore, putting a patch on too quickly (or too late) can complicate things. Each doctor has their own method so I suggest talking this over thoroughly with your doctors.

Have you visited the Hormone Jungle yet? There is information over there that you may find helpful.

I think the book, "Your Complete Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal & Hormone Replacement" by Dr. Elizabeth Plourde is very good for understanding all that is going on in your bodies now. It gives an easy to understand overview of the ovaries contribution to our endocrine system and overall health.

Sending good wishes your way and hoping you are all feeling better soon.
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:00 PM

thanks so much for explaining. I just pray that I won't be gaining any weight maybe I will be one of the more fortunate ones, yea right......Grace
Unread 01-25-2005, 11:26 PM

You might want to go to the doc sooner, to see if you have a kidney infection on that side, or whatever else could happen in there. Maybe something is causing you to keep fluids?
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:29 AM
kidney infection

thanks for your concern, it's not the kidney my Dr. checked it out. She says its the siatic nerve, but Im not so sure. I'' let you know the outcome. Thanks Grace

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register