Returning to a physically demanding job | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to a physically demanding job Returning to a physically demanding job

Unread 01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Returning to a physically demanding job

Hi there,
Tomorrow begins the 5th week of my recovery and I'm a little nervous about returning to work. My job is very physical and requires me to do heavy lifting (50 lbs). I work the first 5 hours of my shift with no break whatsoever and am on my feet my entire 8-hour shift. I have gradually increased the distance I walk to build my stamina, but it's a far cry from standing for 8 hours. My DR has limited my lifting to no more than 15 lbs (it should be interesting going from 15 to 50 lbs!)
Advise, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 12:36 AM
OH NO !!

Scairdy Kat

Oh No , Did Your Doctor Release you to Lift that Much at 5 weeks ? Get a Note From Your Doctor To Restrict Your lifting to 15 lbs .
That way If You Do Screw Up Your Insides You Can Get Workmens Comp. so you can re heal , I Know We Think We Feel Good But We Have a Large amount Of In Side Stitch That we Can't see To Heal Up Too. WE ONLY HAVE THIS ONE TIME TO HEAL RIGHT .
Thats a Lot Of Wt. To Lift Before about 6 MONTHS. I ve heard Of Women That have Screwed Up Stitchs and Un healed In sides at even 10 weeks Be Careful at least . Keep Us Up Dated . We Care .

Hessicia/Cathie
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:42 AM

Hessicia is right, there is no way you should be returning to work at 5 weeks if that is the amount of lifting you will have to do.
Is there someone who you can talk to at work and explaine that you cannot/should not lift these kinds of wieghts at the moment?

I have a desk job, but when I go back to work next week at 10 wks P/O I will have to see HR as they want to make sure I'm fit enough to do the job (some of my work involves crawling around under desks repairing phone systems) I have been told by my Dr that I can't do that yet for about a month and thats easy stuff by comparison.

Do contact your Dr and ask for advice in this instance, before you do yourself permanant some damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 04:00 AM

I agree, get that note from the doctor. It is the only way you can keep from having to lift that amount of weight.
You don't want to un-do this whole recovery time
good luck,
let us know,

Stephanie
Unread 01-26-2005, 05:29 AM

I too had this concern as I lift 65 lb machines. My boss called and wanted to know if I would come back early to help out with paperwork. So at 7 1/2 weeks I went back and did lots of filing. Tugging, bending, up&down from a chair had me very sore and swollen. My next 2 weeks have involved more sitting putting together charts. I was having continued sore spots so my light duty was extended til after my Dr appt Feb 1. My boss isn't really happy as he said he only had 2 weeks of paperwork. Now if I have to go back out, I think I will have to restart my disability. The biggest concern is herniating post op. If your innards aren't healed you could develop a hernia and that would mean more surgery. My advice is to not go back to work until your Dr releases you to do that amt of lifting or get light duty restrictions. Don't feel pressured to go back too soon. I am only working part time and that is enough for me right now.
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:10 AM

Please don't lift 50lbs without a doc's note to release you to do that much and I doubt he will do that at 6 weeks. Work will get along just fine without you...you should never feel pressured to return to work early and never return to work without a doc's note releasing you to do just that.
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:32 AM

I to had a very physically demanding job that I returned to in 8 weeks, and believe me when I say I could not do it. I tryed for 2 weeks, and decided it wasnt worth the crappy feelings I experienced when I got home, I went and talked to my boss about the options, and they told me after 14 years of service for the company, there were no options- I thought*do I need to continue to work for a company that treats me this way* so I quit- Best thing I ever did. I now have another job that is not so demanding, and the co-workers and management are great.
Please be careful, as a few of the ladies have said, you only get one chance to heal right...
Blessings and hugs
snickers
Unread 01-26-2005, 08:05 AM

Dear Scaredy,
I work at a greenhouse and have always worked on farms as well. When I asked my doc about lifting 70-100 lb. bags and bales of hay etc. he gave me the weirdest look. He said never in my life should I have lifted that much and he actually would advise me to stay at around 25 lbs. 40 at the very most. He asked me to make a lifetime commitment to myself to do this especially because the lifting contributed to my prolapses.

I want ALL sisters to please be careful with lifting too much!!!
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:53 AM

I too have a physically demanding job. I train and board horses. At 2 weeks, my doctor said I could ease back into my normal routine, just not lifting hay bales. He also said I could start riding when I felt up to it, it's been so cold here that I haven't tried yet. I also went back to work 1/24 at Schwann's, doing alot of bending and loading trucks, felt pretty tired yesterday, but today is better. I was in really good shape before my surgery, so he said my body should adjust back faster.
Unread 01-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Thank you all for your words of advice. I guess I didn't make it clear that I haven't returned to work YET. I am 5 weeks P/O today and I have no intentions of going back to work until I have been released by my doctor (the tentative date is Valentines Day)
Thank you so much.....you're the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register