Detrol ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Unhappy - Detrol ??? Detrol ???

I am taking Detrol for Bladder spasms. I was irritated in the area of my urethra. At night I couldn't sleep since I needed to urinate 3/4 times a night followed by spasms and pain in my urethra. The Detrol does seem to be helping. One thing I have notice is that I have a overwhelming fatigue and need to take a nap after work and go to bed early. I read on the Detrol flyer that it can cause this effect. I wonder if this side effect goes away after a while. I have been taking the drug for only one week. Does anyone a have experience using Detrol?
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Detrol ???

Hi Nancy
I took Detrol LA for a little while and my main complaint was "dry mouth" but, I did have the fatigue also and yes, it went away after a a few weeks. Always tell your doctor about any reaction you have to a medication. There may be another one that will work without the same affect. I hope the spasms go away. They're no fun

Unread 01-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Smile - Detrol ??? Detrol ???

Hi Nancy, I too suffer from the bladder spasms. My LAVH was about 10 weeks ago. Of course I thought I would be fine in 2 weeks, hah. Thank goodness for this site, I get so much validation for the things we go thru.

I was on Detrol for a while and the dry mouth was really awful. And, I really didnt feel like it helped. So my PCP prescribed urispas. That has helped some, but now after all this, even though I try to drink alot, I also have constipation. Both of these drugs have this as a side effect. So the straining is not good. My doc thinks I also might have IBS and stress has alot to do with that. Ok, this whole thing has been stressful! So no wonder.

My friend, who is a doctor, says, drink lots of water, and walk every day. Things will start to fall into place and work right.

Good luck with your spasms. If you check out how the uterus is removed and you see where your bladder wall is right there, it makes sense that the bladder would have a major adjustment. I don't know why they don't just prepare us for it and plan that in the meds and post op instructions.

Take care, I hope you get better very soon. C.Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Detrol ???

Hi. I am so glad that I read your post. I have exactly the same problem. Tha doctor put me on Oxybutynin. I think that we may have different names for drugs, or maybe use different things up here in Canada. I just started today. How long before you felt better? Did you have any problems before surgery? I was feeling so good up until a couple of days ago. Ugh. I am supposed to return to work on Monday. Take care. Thanks. It gives me great comfort to know that I am not alone.
Unread 01-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Detrol ???

I had a little stress incontinence before but only when I had a forceful cough or sudden sneeze. My urethra has been irritated due to to much intercourse ( can there be to much?) but never had spasms in the past. Since my surgery I haven't had any stress incontinence. I got a bad cold week 3 post op and no leaking! My " boogy" uterus was laying on top of my bladder.
Week 3.5 post op is when I started to have the spasms. They would make me get up many times a night to urinate and I had great diff. getting back to sleep due to the pain. Detrol started working for me after 2 doses. My doc prescribed 2 weeks of pills. I only have 2 left. Last night we went to dinner and I think I got food poisoning. I wasn't well enough to take any pills so I skipped it last night. This afternoon I am beginning to feel some spasms. I will report back if this continues and will call my doc for more Detrol. I hope this does go away. When I read my surgery report and they discribed how they moved my bladder I can understand how it would be irritated. I don't understand why it didn't start to bother me until 3.5 weeks post op.
Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register