Stockings/Compression Boots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stockings/Compression Boots Stockings/Compression Boots

Unread 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Stockings/Compression Boots

When I had my LAVH I did not have any kind of compression garments/stockings used. Nor did I receive any pharmacological treatments to prevent embolism or related complications.

Now many months post-operatively I have severe pain in both legs. It keeps me from being able to sleep at night and wakes me if I do drift off. Electrolyte imbalance, and muscle pain have been ruled out. Venous insufficiency has been suggested? I also had to have an embolization procedure performed for varicosities forming on the vaginal vault. In addition I had a vault hematoma and bleeding complications.

It would seem that having had some form of compression garment/stocking may have helped in my case. I am a very small frame, and my legs are so swollen now that they do not at all correlate to the rest of my body. The pain is suggested to be venous related, blood flow reflux or claudication.

Wondering if you were all given a compression stocking of some sort in the OR or in the days that followed? What were the indications for use? Perspectives? I understand they are often not the most favored form of preventative medical treatment, but they seem very beneficial.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 01:56 PM

i wore mine(stockings) for 3 days while i was in the hospital........i finally took them off when i got home.

Tess
Unread 01-26-2005, 02:05 PM

I was given a pair of "boots" to put on before I went into the OR. The were turning them on while they were putting me under. A machine pumped air into them to make them feel like a massage. I had to wear them for the first 24 hours while I was in bed, could take them off to go for walks. The second day they had me wear them just at night. They said I was active enough during the day so I didn't have to wear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 05:08 PM

I was not given any, at all during or after surgery, what I got instead where painful blood thinning injections 3times per day, each shot left a welt and a bruise, took nearly three months for all the brusing and pain to go away.
Unread 01-26-2005, 05:21 PM

I had those annoying things on my legs too, that came off and on, squeezing the life out of my legs. They were intended to prevent embolism. However, I too had the leg pains and restlessness other ladies complain of weeks after surgery. It kept me up at night. Glad that's over, and hopefully it will end for you too. I don't think there's any correlation between that leg pain and not having the stockings, though.
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Thank you.

Thank you so much for your insightful experiences. I am sure that the complications that I have had do not relate entirely to not having had the compression garments or such measures. I do think given my history of cardiac conditions, venous insufficiency in addition to hypervascularization, it may have been a good choice. Whether it would have made that much of a difference, that is only hindsight and we won't ever know for sure. It is just so interesting the different precautions that are taken and the impact that may or may not have on one's recovery. I value your perspective and your stories.
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Hi,

I had the teds (stockings) and the machine put on me before surgery. Both stayed on me until I left the hospital 44 hours later. I had a TAB/BSO. I also had an elevated blood clotting factor but I believe this would have been the standard procedure anyway, at least for the first 24 hours. One LVN left the machine off and I called her back because I wanted it on. It didn't bother me at all.

Both are the only preventative that I know of, except of course the obvious...WALKING. If you have a blood clotting problem your blood my be thinned, but not until after the operation usually. We are encouraged to get up and out of the hospital as soon as possible so that our chances of clots are decreased.

The purpose is to keep the lower extremities well circulated for any lower abdominal surgery....especially an abdominal hysterectomy. Embolism is the number one cause of death for a hysterectomy.

I don't know the standardization policy for your type of surgery.
Then too, each hopsital might have their own policy standards.
Sounds like you're in a bit of trouble. I sure hope your doctors can get to the bottom of it. Contact your hopsital's legal department for a copy of their policy regarding their practice on this.
Best wishes,
Maralyn

Unread 01-26-2005, 07:17 PM

The massaging feeling was great, but those leg machines made my legs hot, sweaty, and itchy! Had to wear them for two days, but as soon as I was able, I'd strip them off every chance I got.

You get so used to the sound: Brrrrrp (inflating).....Sssshhhhh (deflating).....24/7. The lady in the bed next to me had them too.
Unread 01-26-2005, 08:26 PM

I had them on for surgery and then untill they took the cath out about 10 hrs later. They wanted me to get up and walk. kept the stockings on until I left the hospital the next day.

Sirap

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register