9 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 weeks post op 9 weeks post op

Unread 01-26-2005, 02:06 PM
9 weeks post op

Hi all!

At nine weeks, I am out and about. Back on my walking program. Most chores have been delegated back to me. Feeling like I am a part of life as opposed to life passing me by.

Still feel the odd pang and twinge here and there. Especially with doing the "power" part of my walking. I imagine with time and care, that will ease off.

Not doing any heavy vacuuming or mopping yet. Also careful when bending. Doing those things slowly and gently. Not sure when I will feel totally safe with those activities.

Haven't done the "deed" yet. Too scared and quite frankly not interested. I may be milking that one for a while. Fear gets the best of me with regards to sex. Hopefully I get past that and reconnect at some point.

Just wondering how the other 9 weekers are doing? Feeling like "normal" is achievable now?

Happy healing,

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 03:40 PM
9 weeks post op

Hippi,

I have been watching your posts from the beginning, one because our dates were so close but most importantly, you asked all of the questions I had. You described my skin sensitivity to a tee as well as my energy level. I have been back at work for a week and a half. My energy seems to be better and my mood is good. Still coming home everyday rushing to put on my pjs and lay back. My biggest complaint is this belly and how sensitive it is. I still can't button my pants!!!!! I am down to 120 lbs. and am used to my belly being enlarged due to the 8 lb. growth they took out, but the sensitivity is another huge issue. I just want it to go away!!!!
The deed has been nice, but ohhh my stomach muscles were so sore the next few days, I guess from my participation.

"Normal" is coming. Whenever I get down about my progress, I think of where I was a few weeks ago. I just offered to iron for my DSO, and as I carried the ironing board up the stairs, I caught myself with the thought of my, that was so simple, I sure would not have touched that last week.

We are getting there, slowly but surely.
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Hallo!

I am 12 weeks out tomorrow and saw you had no replies yet so hope ya don't mind me replying. Nice to 'meet' another walker. Consistent walking and any exercise stabilizes our moods and lessons hot flashes/night sweats among many other benefits. I also do what I refer to as 'warp speed' walking (you had said you power walk). I am not in a relationship so I have not done 'that' yet but wonder what it would be like to not have pain during it.
I was given the go on everything at 6 weeks except lifting over 10 lbs, said I could do that Febuary 4th so I haven't really been lifting if I can avoid it. I just started shovelling snow this week, I actually LIKE shovelling snow so was a treat (I know, I am weird) but I did not do it all day or anything. I am better than I was pre-op and is good to read about another positive experience. Hope your recovery continues to go well....
"from one hyster sister walker to another" (hee hee)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM
9 weeks post op

I was 9 weeks on Tuesday. I had the LAVH, so didn't have the abdominal cut you both have had. I had a little tet-a-tet with my gyn on Monday. I wanted to know why I still have pain and also to deal with the crying jags! At some point in the conversation I mentioned that I couldn't imagine trying to recover from the abdominal cut, and she said that maybe if I had had that, my recovery expectations wouldn't be so high, and I would be happier with my progress. I was expecting that after 3 weeks I would be back to normal. NOT!! I still need 9 hours of sleep. And just started exercising last weekend again - although very carefully. And due to my continued draining for 8 weeks, then application of a vaginal antibiotic (she said it wasn't uncommon to get bacteria growth with a vaginal), my poor DH is still waiting.
But he's afraid of hurting me, so he's being real patient.
In the past few weeks I have had 2 major crying breakdowns.
So now I'm on the estrogen cream. Was OK for 7 weeks, then wham! My coworkers insisted I seek help.
Was afraid to dance at our Holiday party last weekend.
But it seems like in the past just 2 days things are wonderfully better - no pain at all at last.
So I was expecting faster recovery, but hopefully it's getting better.
Unread 01-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Almost 9 weeks

Good to hear from all the 9 weekers. I'll be 9 weeks on Monday. I've been feeling really good. I have one problem though, and wonder if anyone else has anything similar. I took it real easy for 6 weeks and have been back to work for 2 1/2 weeks now. Yesterday my legs really started giving me trouble, aching a whole lot. I'm on my feet a lot, I teach special education and never get to sit for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Has anyone else started having problems with their legs this far after surgery? I'm just trying to find out if the legs problem is somehow related to the surgery or if it's something new.
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:48 PM
9 weeks post op

anneirt, we had the same surgery date so almost 9 weeks for me too.

I have been having a lot of leg pain since my op too. Maybe it's because we were stationary for so long and our legs have to get used to normal movement again. I had some leg pain before surgery, which I thought was nerve pain caused by my heavy uterus pressing on stuff, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm still getting very tired, but not needing to sleep during the day.

One thing I have noticed - just wondering if it is a common side efffect of surgery - I am losing a lot of hair! Not in clumps, but enough to have me a little worried. Anyone else experiencing this?

Apart from the fact that I'm so tired and just want to sleep when I get to bed, (I'm easily persuaded though!) sex is pretty much back to normal.

I feel as though the swelly-belly will be with me for life, so I'm trying to ignore it. Just trying to get motivated to start my walking again so I can tone up a bit before a wedding I am attending in 6 weeks for which I foolishly bought a figure-hugging dress in my pre-swelly belly days! What was I thinking?
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:52 PM
9 weeks post op

Correction - only FIVE weeks to the wedding. Yikes! Oh well, at least I found the perfect shoes to go with the dress today. Maybe everyone will look at the shoes, not the tummy!
Unread 01-27-2005, 02:19 AM
9 weeks post op

I am nine weeks post op today too. I am definitely better than I was for the first few weeks post op; but I don't know if I am better than I was before surgery.

I still seem exhausted and achey all the time. I was on HRT, but have chosen to come off it, and after a few weeks off, don't feel any different, so maybe I didn't need it.

I prob. have enough stored estrogen (body fat : ) to do me for a long time.

Wish I had more energy to get more done, and exercise more.

H
Unread 01-27-2005, 03:11 AM
9 weeks post op

I hopefully go back to work on the 3rd Feb (depends if the Dr in the HR dept clears me or not and I see them on the 2nd Feb)

I still have a very small wound on my scar, but its skin damage that is taking a long time to heal.

I'm walking better than I have in years, but still have problems with stairs on my right side (like a pulling, tugging feeling) So if the lifts go out in my tower where I live I'm in trouble as I live on the 16th floor.
The discomfort in the R Ovary area, is still bothering me on and off, so I will discuss that when I see my Dr.

I am now back on the Motor Bike with a lot more comfort than I have had in years.

It seems in the last week that I have improved from feeling 50% better to 90% better, amazing what a difference 1 week makes.
Unread 01-27-2005, 03:44 AM
9 weeks post op

definitely well on the way to 'normal' ~
it's a new normal, but a good one.

still some swellyB end of day, but I know it's from busy day - resumed work @ 6 wks & phased to a full schedule @8 wks. have had to modify a bit to lessen lifting, but it's all working out fine.
Most nights get VERY tired VERY suddenly around 8 - hits like a load of bricks!

fancyme - I'm with you.... thought I was the only one who LIKES shovelling snow! We've gotten quite a bit this week & it's the light, fluffy stuff...... felt GREAT to get out there in it! even helped w/a snowfort for the little guys in my daycare. Not my usual creation, but there's always next year for the big ones!

haven't tried skiing yet, but have been carefully resuming things at the gym & hoping to try some easy runs end of season.

hard to belive it's been 9+ weeks -
wishing you all well ~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register