bladder question / ovaries questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bladder question / ovaries questions bladder question / ovaries questions

Unread 01-18-2001, 10:38 AM
bladder question / ovaries questions

I am scheduled for TAH on 2/23/01 - I am going to see the urologist this monday - my question is how do they determine if you need bladder repair?? I told my gyn that I feel wet a lot of the time(nothing like getting personal!) and I have to go to the bathroom quite often...I get up several times at night.

It just suddenly occurred to me, How do they check you at the urologist??

Question #2 - My gyn is planning on leaving my ovaries alone but I have read several places about your ovaries not working properly afterwards...is this common??? Just a little worried about that !

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2001, 11:35 AM

Hi, Terry, I'm sure that the urologist would most likely examine you to see what is going on re: the wetness. Then he'll likely get in touch with your GYN Dr. and tell him what may or may not need to be repaired. As for question #2, I've also heard that the ovaries may take a little time adjusting after your surgery. Just as it is a "shock" to your body, ie: the anesthesia, etc. The ovaries may need a little time to recover, from the manipulation during surgery. I can't speak from experience, since I've had both ovaries removed. The best source to answer this question, is your Dr. or Nurse Practioner. They will be able to answer you and tell you what to expect post-op. You may also want to post this on the post-op boards, to see if anyone else may have the answer you're looking for. Best of Luck to You, Roz
Unread 01-18-2001, 11:50 AM

I go in for my hysterectomy on the 22. I had a bladder test done yesterday. hysterectomy
The test was that the Dr. put a cathiter in and filled my bladder up till it was full with water. Then he a put a Q-tip in to the opening and had me cough and laugh( i could not laugh).
This was to see if my bladder leeked.
The test was not fun, but it was worth it my Dr. said my bladder shoiuld be fine whith just the hysterectomy.
He also said that if you tie up a bladder that did not need to be tied you would have problems going pee. Good luck to you MarciIngalls [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2001, 05:42 PM

Hey Terry.... I'm 6 weeks post op TODAY. I had bladder repair done during my TAH/BSO. Prior to surgery I visited the urologist. That first visit he took a look at my bladder (painless). I wasn't down there so I couldn't begin to tell you what he did. I heard some trickling water... guess that was me... and then we scheduled an outpatient bladder test. I think the outpatient proceedure is what Marci is talking about. It was not painful to me AT ALL. It basically was a test to see if I had "stress incontenance" since I had little bits of leakage when I would sneeze or cough heavily. I can give you more details about that test if you think you're going to have it. But, from what you describe it sounds like you may be a possible candidate for bladder repair.

This is not unusual. I think most gynocologists take this opportunity to "kill two birds with one stone" since most of us ladies end up with mild to severe incontenance as a result of birthin' our babies!

If you heard your ovaries may not work properly after surgery.... well... most everything down there has to come back to life. The ovaries tend to go on vacation along with everything else. But, no fears... they usually return without a problem.
Unread 01-18-2001, 09:22 PM

Funny you should ask! I'm scheduled for TAH 1/30 because of several large fibroids (one, the size of a "5-6 month pregnancy")and a host of other minor maladies. My last visit with my GYN, I mentioned that I had a little leakage when I cough or sneeze. I was assuming (because I've had no pregnancies,)that this would no longer be the case once I had these coupla footballs removed from my belly that are pressing on my bladder. Anyway, he sent me to the Urologist.

He asked my symptoms - leakage with coughing and sneezing, frequent urination (up 1-2 times a night), but no real "accidents" of not being able to get to the bathroom on time. He asked whe these symptoms started - about a year or two ago and getting progressivly worse. The exam started with a catheter and then I think, he was looking through some kind of scope that was interted into my bladder through the tube. Evidently, he could see the fibroids through whatever he was looking and gave out a little "whoa!". It was uncomfortable but not terribly
painful.

Anyway, the upshot is that I guess all these years of pressure and crowding of my bladder has weakened it somewhat. I will now have two surgeons working on me. After my GYN finishes his work, the Urologist will step in and do a "______ suspension" and finish closing. It was a specific name and I don't remember what he called it. He did say that I may have a bladder drain with some kind of valve that I "could" use manually if I found it difficult to urinate naturally for the first few days.

I hope I've helped you and not frightened you, but this is what I'll be having done. I know I'm not frightened at this point. I am just SO ready to be done with all this STUFF! It has been such a huge part of my life for over 20 years! I can't wait to be on the "other side"!
Unread 01-19-2001, 11:06 AM
New Rule! INCONTINENCE is NOT a bad word!

Hey KellsBells.... Been there! Done that! Got the T-Shirt! Wanna borrow it?

Sounds like you're going down the same road as I did. I had my OBGYN doing my hyst (took everything) and then the urologist stepped in, tacked up my bladder, and my OBGYN closed me up. They were all done in less then 2 hours.

Isn't it amazing how we adjust our hectic lives to accomodate some mild leakage, or more frequent visits to the "throne"? After being diagnosed with "stress incontenance" I did a lot of reading (this will help your sanity during the waiting period) and found that millions of women suffer in silence with incontenence of varying degrees. INCONTENANCE IS FAIRLY NORMAL!!! It's an age/ mommy thing! Just another one of those badges we earned in life. In other words... don't be afraid or ashamed of saying the word incontenance!!! My new rule!

The "bladder drain" your doc was mentioning is called a Suprapubic Catheter. Yep.... Superwoman must have named it! Basically, it's a flexible little tube that will be inserted through the top of your bladder, held in place by a "ballooning" affect on the inserted end, and then exits through a small incision below your belly button! They use this catheter to give your bladder time to adjust to the new positioning, and recover from the moving around during surgery. I know that sounds absolutly gross and not fun... but, it was a God send. No having to get up all hours of the night to shuffle to the cold toilet seat during early post op!

Your biggest concern about the catheter will be finding shoes to match your "day wear", and "evening wear" pee bag. As I was unable to.... I dressed my pee bag up with a huge crowned smiley face and we held a contest on hystersisters and named my new bed partner "Noah".

If anyone reading this thread has any questions about the Suprapubic Catheter, how it works, what additional things to purchase prior to surgery... just email me. There are several of us Princesses who have had this procedure and can tell you it's a piece of cake. Had you asked us prior to surgery we would have been too whigged out to answer!

Best of luck to you all.... and please don't fret. I guarantee you that you will have spent more time worrying pre op then you will recoverying, post op. Honest!
[Edited by PaTony on 01-19-2001]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register