any advances in prolapse surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any advances in prolapse surgery?? any advances in prolapse surgery??

Unread 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM
any advances in prolapse surgery??

I have been reading many posts on surgery for rectocele and cystocele. There seems to be many surgeries that fail (although I'm sure many are successful), but with all the advances in medicine, does anyone know how come this surgery isn't done laparasocopically (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Recover time would be so much shorter. How much research is really dedicated to this problem? I would bet if a man had pelvic problems, there would be many advances in the field - and fast! Does anyone know of any progress to make this an easier surgery for women and recovery time quicker - especially if it needs to be done more than once? I would love to find out what exactly is being done as far as trying to come up with more advanced methods for this. I read on a post that Oprah should do a show on this-that's so true. It would bring it out in the open. I really think it's something many women don't know about until it happens to them. I tell friends about this and so many have never heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 05:01 AM

I just had my prolapse surgery Tuesday and came home Wed.It was totally through the vagina. I am quite suprise that I do not have bad pain. He didn't have to do a episiotomy type of cut, which helps alot.I go back in 4 weeks for my post op visit. I will be off of work for a while after that. I can't take any chances of this failing.
I have read where the enterocele can be fixed by laproscope, but I don't know about the rectocele

Peggy
Unread 01-27-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi Peggy

Hi, it's been nine days since I had anterior and posterior repairs. I am doing fairly well. Just have some light bleeding that I was concerned about. Also, some aches vaginally with a "tight" feeling which I assume is swelling. I have been following your posts.... Did you just have the rectocele repaired or did you have a cystocele? I know you thought you may have to have a enterocele fixed. I had my doctor check for all prolapses and he said he didn't find any other than the cystocele and rectocele. Hope you are doing well.
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Hello barco, mtdewpeg and Annie 48!!!!!

We should form a special club - what should we call ourselves? The Repairsisters??? I'm scheduled for A&P repairs, reduction of the enterocele sac & right sacro spinious ligament suspension (don't really know what that last one is!) on 3/2/05. I spoke to my dr. briefly(going back for more talking on 2/8) about these procedures, after 2 failed pessary tries & I'm on bi-est & vagifem. He told me that he had a "salesman" show him how well the laprascope works with these types of surgeries, but his reply to the salesman was that he has a very high rate of sucess doing this surgery vaginally and he's going to stick with works best for his patients. (I love him! - wish he had done my hyster). I am thankful they are going to be done vaginally, because I don't want to develop adhesions that will give me problems. (I have insignificant adhesions). So barco, I guess it's either vaginal or laparascopical...sure beats abdominal! But, of course you are right ....look how quick doctors jumped on prostate problems that men have....everything was addressed, from how to avoid sexual dysfunction to doing the surgery in the least invasive way possible! Boy, do we women have alot of doors to bang on. Hopefully future generations will benefit from our pounding!!!
Take care of yourselves mtdewpeg & annie 48. Barco, have you seen a uro/gyn yet?
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:15 PM

Annie
I had a rectocele and enterocele repaired Tuesday. I do have a small cystocele, but my dr. didn't think it needed repaired. I hope it never does. I have absolutely no pain, but am still bleeding bright red blood.If it wasn't for being awake during my surgery(spinal) and the bleeding I wouldn't know I had surgery. I feel great. This scares me because I had lost sexual sensation in there quite a while bsck. I thought once I got it fixed I would be able to feel my vagina again. I am hoping this goes away. My dr. sent me home with percocets and 600mg ibuprofens and I haven't needed any yet. I read terrible stories about prolapse recovery and was prepared to deal with it. I can sit for hours, walk around easily, etc. I don't know if this is good or bad. I am afraid I am going to overdo it because I feel so good. I sure would hate to mess up my doctor's work.
I really am afraid I may have nerve damage in there. Why else would I not even feel a tingle, prick or some kind of sensation? I never thought I would ask to feel pain again.

Peggy
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:49 AM

Hi, mtdewpeg I have been thinking about you.So happy your doing so well so far Take care .
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Hi ((((barco)))) I'm always sorry to read about so many Hyster Sisters dealing with Prolapse issues after their hyst: I had my hyst due to a huge fibroid that was causing all of problems and to repair a Stage III rectocele and, so far, the repairs have been holding

I would think that, as new techniques develop and technology progresses, that there would be easier, more effective and less invasive methods for dealing with these prolapses, but we may to do a lot of canvassing to get there I do hope that all of you having recently had or about to have repair surgery will have success with it ... and that it will be your last surgery for a long, long time.

Here's a link to a website specializing in prolapse support and where new surgery options are discussed:
http://groups.msn.com/choiceforprola...pgmarket=en-au

Sending lots of s your way.
Unread 01-28-2005, 07:46 PM

it is day 3 post op and still no pain. I've been real good and following my doctors instructions as closely as I can. I do have to remind myself that I did just have surgery 3 days ago. I feel so good!!!!! I still haven't used any pain meds. I could have saved me some $ by not buying them!
I made a Urologist appt. for Feb. 8th to see what he has to say as far as me needing a sling procedure for my stress incontinence. My gyn wrote me off of work completely until March 23rd. He is real serious about me doing nothing much until then. I am taking it to .
I refuse to mess myself up this time. I hope to have everything repaired and be ready to resume my regular life by the end of March. I will then go on light duty for 90 days.
My dr. used graft material to reinforce my vaginal skin. He said it should never prolapse again as long as I follow his instructions in my recovery. This is the very most important part to a successful prolapse surgery.
All of you prolapse repair sisters , we need to stand firm with our families and treat ourselves like queens and do almost nothing until our doctors release us to do more. I finally got it through my thick head. I should have listened to my dr.
the first time during my recovery from my TAH in May. I was so stubborn. I am just glad he cared enough about me not to refuse to work on me this time. He has been a Godscend.
I wish all of you prolapse repair sisters the best with your recoveries!!

s
Peggy
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:48 PM

dany+ mtdeweg Both you-all are so cool makes me more comfortabal on making my decision on prolapes repair when i go back for my check up thankskeep in touch.
Unread 01-29-2005, 01:09 AM

YOU ARE WELCOME LEI-55

I POST ON THIS SUBJECT TO LET OTHER SISTERS KNOW IT ISN'T ALWAYS A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. I FEEL WONDERFUL CONSIDERING WHAT ALL MY DR. HAD TO DO DOWN THERE. IT TOOK 1 1/2 HOURS TO REPAIR THE TWO PROLAPSES. SO FAR, IT IS WELL WORTH IT

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register