any advances in prolapse surgery?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any advances in prolapse surgery?? any advances in prolapse surgery??

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:19 AM
any advances in prolapse surgery??

mtdeweg,How long were you in hospital?Did they put you out?Iam glad your doing well,I heard alot of women have prolapes's and dont really know it .a friend of mine dosent have a Tah and she splints so basically women really need a good fiber diet and like you said NO STRAINING! I take metamucil 2 capsules Daily Helps alot PRUNE juice helps me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Laparoscopic Surgery

Hi Barco,
Laparoscopic surgery is available...you just have to do a lot of research plus usually be willing to travel to find the right surgeon. In June of 2004, I had a TLH, BSO, bilateral ureterolysis, vaginal vault suspension, paravaginal repair, cystoscopy, posterior repair/rectocele repair and excision of endometriosis. All of this was done laparoscopically and took about 4 hours. I left the hospital within the first 24 hours (with no tubes) and minimal pain. I went back to work 6 weeks to the day of the surgery in a new position as a middle school teacher. I had taught preschoolers with special needs for 20 years (lots of lifting) which is what caused the problems...intrabdominal stress. I had to leave a job I loved because of the lifelong lifting restrictions. I have had a few minor problems along the way(swelly belly from over doing early on) but when I would checked this website, all seemed to be common. I think that because I felt so well, I lifted more than I should have (I am single-live alone) many times and the rectocele has bulged a bit but I am looking for any suggestions about helping strengthen that area. You can look up Chattanooga Women's Laser Center to find out more about the doctor. He has offices in New York and Chattanooga Tennessee. I hope this helps someone that might be seeking this info. ~Cadance
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Lei-55
My surgery was at 2:00 Tuesday and I went home 4:00 Wednesday. My dr. saw me at 9am Wed. He said I could stay another night if I wanted to. I felt very dehydrated and he said the IV would help me. Right after he left a nurse came in to give me phenegram for nausea. It stung my hand where the iv was so bad. In a few minutes my hand was swollen up like a club and it really hurted. The nurse removed the IV and didn't put it back in in another location. AT that point I decided I would go on home as soon as my Dh could get off of work and pick me up. There was no longer the benefit of rehydrating me through the IV. I knew I would sleep better at home anyway. My dr. had told me he had to fly out to Minnesota and wouldn't land back in Cinti. until 8:30 Thursday night. His co worker would have discharged me if I stayed until Thursday.
I elected to have a spinal. It has much less side effects than a general. I had no gas problems and a spinal is not constipating. That is something I did not need with this type of surgery. I was pretty much asleep the first half hour when they inserted the catheter and put my legs up into those high stirrups. I woke up to my dr. asking me what kind of music I wanted to listen to? He turned on the stereo. They were so nice to me the whole time. When I felt a little nauseous the anesthesiast gave me a little someting. It helped alot. I joked around with the anesthesiast and my dr. for the next hour. It was avery relaxed atmosphere. I would recommend it to anybody. I had a drape hanging inbetween me and my gyn. He was sitting on a chair while doing the repairs. I couldn't see him most of the time, but could still joke around with him.
The funny part was I could see my legs hanging there in a frog like position. They were on my side of the drape. I reached up and felt them. They felt so weird. I commented about it and my dr. did say they were mine. LOL
A woman doesn't have to had a hysterectomy to have prolapses. vaginal births cause alot of the rectoceles and cystoceles. I had all c sections, but years of constipation and heavy duty physical job seemed to cause mine.

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 10:24 AM

mtdewpeg, Thanks for answering my questions.Iam sure there will be alot of ladies reading this and hopefully it will help them like it did me i was so scared when this happen to me and this really gives me more understanding I too have had bad consitipation through my life and heavy lifting being a housekeeper for my profession VERY HARD WORK so LIVE AND LEARN and i have learned so much on this WEB site .SO keep in touch as you heal
Unread 01-29-2005, 12:40 PM

Lei 55-
I did housekeeping for 11 1/2 years at the mental institution I work in now. I transferred to the tpw position (like a aid) I have been doing there for the last 4 years. I think the heavy lifting and mopping took its tole on me.
My dr. is afraid to let me go back to my physical job too soon. He has written me off of all work duties for the next 8 weeks. He will then let me return on light duty for 90 days. He conti9nues to encourage me to get into nursing school. I think I will work toward that!!
Unread 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM

"WOW" MTDEWPEG,That is Hard DID you lift the mental people up ? Yes i would Do what your DR saids YOu dont need any more Prolapes, Ijust clean houses + hotle rooms and that i know took a tole on me ,Theres many details in that kind of work. i need to learn something new TOO Dont need to make my Prolapse worst.sticking to my metamucil and staying away from lifting!
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:17 AM

Lei-55- as a housekeeper I had to move those heavy wood beds with drawers under them, move the mattresses off every week to wash the beds and mattresses down, move couches, chairs, dining room tables and chairs, strip floors,buff floors using those heavy machines, mop using those industrial size mops and buckets. I worked very hard. At one time I worked up until I was nine months pregnant with my last baby.
As a TPW I have to help take patients down when they go off, break up fights, help put psychotic patients into restraints when needed, etc. I also have to be able to deffend myself when one decides to come after me. Thankfully, this isn't too often. It is hard work physically and mentally!
I AM READY FOR A CHANGE. I CAN'T IMAGINE DOING THIS FOR THE NEXT FIFTEEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!:burning:
I am thinking my prolapses will eventually come back if I have to continue doing this job

Peggy
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:49 AM

Mtdewpeg, Light DUTY Sister,I know what you Mean!Hang in there .
Unread 01-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks for all your replies on this post. I haven't seen my doctor yet, but I'm pretty sure what she will tell me. The only surgery I've had so far is a TVH back in June of 2003. Last June at my year check-up, the doctor told me I had slight vaginal prolapse. So with the feeling of having to pee, and when I try to insert my Estrace vaginal cream, it feels like something is there in the way, I kind of figure some kind of prolapse has happened. I have good days and bad days in feeling that familar falling-out, heavy kind of feeling. I haven't seen a urogyn yet, but if it gets to the point where I am really uncomfortable and decide to go the surgery route, I definitely will. I will put it off as long as possible - maybe by then more choices will be available. I don't go for my check up until June, so I will wait until then to see what the doctor says. I will keep reading and have lots of questions for her by then!
Unread 01-30-2005, 11:47 AM

Barco , SO you REALY Dont Know what kind of prolapse you have ,thats me iam trying to figure what kind of prolapes i have i think mine is rectocele . when i go back to dr. i will have so many questions i hope the dr can deal with them all My self iam not ready for more surgery at this time i belive iam still healing from TAH Iheard it takes 6-12mths to heal . GOOD LUCK ! I will need some GOOD LUCK MY self.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register