Terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Terrified

This will probably sound silly, but I'm scared to go to the doctors today. This is my post-op check and I still feel like I'm at 2 weeks.

I hurt. I don't know how else to say it. I don't want him *poking* around inside or outside. I don't like him.

So far this doctor has treated me like a pain med junkie, and I've only asked for pain meds once. He didn't want to give them to me (three weeks or so ago).. I believe the word his nurse used was "reluctant".

I've read on these forum threads that many have had pain meds in their 3 week + post op stages. I don't understand. I am using over the counter advil -- which honestly doesn't work, but I don't know what else to do. I have always had a high tolorence for pain.. I don't know why it all hurts so much.

I feel guilty for not being better yet. I cry a lot because of it, and cannot explain to my DH why.

My boss (female) wants me better (three weeks ago) and back full time. I can't explain it to her either, so I cry. I hate to cry. I hate feeling weak.

I know this is choppy, but I've got so much chaos in my head over this that I don't know exactly how to explain what I'm feeling. Maybe part of it is because I have not slept more than a two hour stretch in weeks.

Again, I don't know... Thanks for letting me whine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Terrified

Geri,

You are not whining! And don't feel bad about feeling bad. I went through that for a bit... and then I just decided that I am always worried about what everyone else is thinking and enough is enough. I need to not worry about what they are thinking. I needed to worry about getting better. Then things started to lighten up on me. I really do know how you feel.

As far as your doctor goes, you should tell him how you are concerned about your pain, as he seemed reluctant to give you more pain meds.... and that you feel he thinks your recovery should have been easier. Put it in his lap. Let him explain where the pain is coming from and why. Ya know? Let him explain it to you. Also, if you don't like your doctor, can you see someone else?? Just an idea.

As far as your boss goes, you need to take your time. See if you can get something in writing from your MD and give that to them.

I do wish you good luck at your apointment! Hang in there, it will get better!!

Andi
Unread 01-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Terrified

Please, please be assertive with your doctor and tell him how you feel. Take someone with you to be your advocate. I'm not sure what type of op you had, but if it was abdominal, it takes quite a while for you to feel better.
You shouldn't be suffering so, and you certainly shouldn't feel guilty. I took 8 weeks off work and it takes a good 3-6 months to feel 'normal'.
Tell your doctor you normally have a high pain threshold--women do!!
s
Gillian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Terrified

Just because you are still in pain does not mean you are abnormal. A lot of us who had minimal pain have had numerous previous surgeries, and our abdomens are permanently numb... we just don't feel it much anymore. So you shouldn't compare yourself to us!

I remember the first surgery I had at 16. They cut me across the bikini line, and it hurt sooooooo bad. I could barely get out of bed. They kept me in the hospital for a week. My parents even bought me a new mattress, because I couldn't get out of bed at home. I was in agony. So I can relate to how you are feeling.

Don't hesitate to ask for help. Some OTC pain meds work better than others. Over the years, my docs have always prescribed Tylenol 3, and then told me to take Tylenol. I don't know how that compares to Advil. Maybe you should try something different than what you are taking...
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Terrified

I hope all goes well for you today. You have to tell the Dr how you are and tell him your still in pain.
Im a week ahead of you and feel the last week I have gone backwards, so I know how your feeling.

Please let us know how you get on!
Good luck..

Love Tricia.x
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Terrified

Honestly, I've had my own share of operations. This one makes 7 through my belly button (adhesions, endometriosis and hysterectomy - kept ovaries). 1 abdominal surgery for a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst on my ovary (while pregnant). 1 C-section. Endometrial Ablation surgery a year ago. 5 colonoscopies (pre-colon cancer removed at age 23) -- I'm to the point I can't remember all that I've had done.

Right now I'm waiting for copies of my medical records so I know exactly what happened and what kind of surgery I had, and possibly why I had a secondary infection that landed me back in the castle four days post-op.

I'm grateful to all of you for your support. I've been watching the clock for hours now -- in my own little D-Day countdown of sorts just waiting to leave for this appt. My DH is armed and ready with both of our lists of questions. DH is already upset because the DR's only concern throughout this whole thing was (said numerous times) "Remember, NO intercourse"... DUH! Sex is the LAST thing on my mind! My DH has supported me 100%, and is NOT concerned with having sex until I am healed and ready.

I have an appt. with my GI doctor tomorrow morning to see if I have a surgical hernia and/or gallbladder issues. I just want it all to end now.

I'll come back and let you know how it went. Thank you again.

Geri
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Terrified

Good Luck Geri!!

Gillian :
Unread 01-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Terrified

I think I just had the worst internal of my life. My stitches are not ready to come out yet, but he insisted on trying anyway. No clipping, just a lot of yanking. Still no stitches came out.

Totally ignored my pain before and after. Told me to stay home another week, and to let them know if I had any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting.... I thought that's what I was doing.. telling him.

We were dismissed.

...."remember, no intercourse"

I'm going to the closet now.
Unread 01-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Terrified

It's obvious that you're not getting anywhere with the Gyn...call your PCP and let them know what is going on. They may be willing to help.

Colleen
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Terrified

You need a new doctor. There are no two ways about it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register