2 weeks post-op now, anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post-op now, anyone else? 2 weeks post-op now, anyone else?

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:00 AM
2 weeks post-op now, anyone else?

Hello all,
I am 2 wks. p/o today. My Mom left this morning and I am alone for the first time (for any significant time).
I am curious to see how it goes the next couple of days with getting back into my normal routine -three kids to drive to/from school at two different schools, extra curricular stuff we can't miss, etc... plus having to fix meals again LOL

Physically I am feeling pretty good. I can actually stand up straight now and sneezing doesn't put me through the roof - tho' it is an activity I try to avoid

Emotionally I seem to be holding steady since starting the Estradiol. Hot Flashes are almost non-existent now (with the meds) and I am MUCH less teary.

I am still confused over all the HRT stuff and all the potential side effects(HRT). If I think too much about it it an get me depressed, also all the menopause stuff is just so disheartening.

I think I would opt for having a period over all of this (my surgery wasn't voluntary)!

Just wanted to check in and see if there were others on my same timeline, etc and see how others were doing.

I think this place is great!

MAry Beth

Surgery: 1/13/05
TAH due to endo, ovarian cyst, uterine fibroids
currently taking Estradiol 2mg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:14 AM

mary beth,
I had a lavh and a lso on the 13th also. In many ways I feel pertty
good.I have had my kids on and off for almost a week now.They go bettween here and my mom and dads. I have been very lucky to have there help.I however really feel for you because it would be really hard for me to run them all over at this piont. I started the patch yesterday I had not been sleeping and I was crying all of the time.I already notice a difference. I hope things keep getting better for you, Try to rest as much as you can.
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:19 AM

Hi,

I was 2 wks yesterday. I am also starting the old routines. One thing I find is that the littlest things make me tired. Yesterday all I did was drive my son to pick up his check from work and it felt weird driving again.
I am also walking better although after I have been sitting for awhile I still get up feeling stiff. Sleep seems to be getting better also. I only woke up once last night to change position.
The only thing that is still driving me crazy is the pressure when I am urinating. The first few days home when I felt kind of yucky was the only time I questioned having the surgery and thinking having a period wasn't all that bad. However I realize that it was something that was necessary since my paps were getting worse and then found out I had endometriosis and didn't even knew I had it. I am glad it is over and done with.
It is getting better everyday, and talking to such great people on this site has been a great help. Before this I thought I was the only one going through this situation and now I know we are all going through the same things.

Good luck.

Eleanor

TAH, lt ovary removed due to cyst- cervical dysplasia,dysfunctional bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:23 AM

christine,
Glad to hear from you. Iam glad for you that you havefamily close by who are willing and able to help.
My Mom lives 11hrs from me.
Luckily my Bunco group has really come through for me providing meals and kid transportation if ineed it for school.

I was terribly weepy and on the edge of despair that first week and was very resentful of the other meno symptoms (hot flashes etc). So my MD started the Estrogen, and it had an immediate effect on my depression.
I am a little concerned since I had endometriosis, so the estrogen shouldn't really start for awhile. I am gongi to see MD tomorrow and will ask some questions then.

I was diagnosed with the cyst and into surgery in 2 weeks so I feel I little overwhelmed by it all. I had no classic endo symptoms so I was surprised by that finding during my surgery.

Good Luck to you, I hope the patch helps to even you out

Mary Beth
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:30 AM

eleanor,
I didn't know I had the endo wither!
I knew going into the surgery that a TAH was possible but I really hadn't dealt with it OR had more trouble dealing with the reality of it.

Once I started the estradiol I started sleeping better.
Also, I bought a body pillow to sleep with and it seemes to help.

I am a stomach sleeper normally and I just COULD NOT fall asleep on my back and my shoulder and hip were sore from sleeping on my side. The body pillow gives me a few more comfortable sleeping positions.

Mary Beth
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:36 AM

Hi,

I had my surgery on Jan 14th (TAH/BSO and App). I wasn't supposed to drive for two weeks but my helper couldn't make it over for the past two days so I have been driving my son to the bus stop. I won't venture further than that. I have been recovering quickly and feel ready to resume more duties. My first check-up is at 6 weeks. No sex until then, no laundry lifting, grocery cart pushing, vacuuming. bed making....

I have terrible insomnia and might start the hrt patch very soon if this doesn't pass. Bathroom issues are getting better, although last night's BM was a killer....the Dr put me on iron pills for anemia and I think it is gumming up the works. I am drinking cranberry juice for my kidneys and bladder and it seems to be helping with that pain.

I am not taking any pain meds...I have percocet but don't like how I feel on it...and cannot take ibuprofen as the Dr hit a vein during surgery and I lost a lot of blood and needed the vein repaired.

I love to cook so I have been preparing all of the dinners. My kids are grateful that I am able to do that as my DH is a terrible cook!

Day 10 post op seemed like a big corner for me. I am feeling very well overall.

All my best to the all my sisters!

Jennifer
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Jennifer,

I live with chronic constipation. Right now I am using stuff called FreeLAx which is magnesium hydroxide and equivelant to 500mg magnesium. I also take a fiber suppliment (Metamucil and the like)

Ask your MD about starting some magnesium to ease things along. Dulcoset and most of those things don't work for me. diet doesn't make a difference for me either.
Prune juice is supposed to work

I have also taken a tablespoon full of Karo syrup before to get things moving

Mary Beth

I can't believe the number of people who don't go for a post-op until 6wks or later. My MD scheduled me at 1 wk and at 2wks. I go tomorrow for my 2nd follow-up.
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:27 AM

2 weeks post op. Grateful to be able to sleep in bed but I can only sleep 1-2 hours at a time before waking to either pee or change positions...then I get hit with a big night sweat. Cripes. This is for the birds. Also discovered endo during my TAH/BSO. Dr. is wanting me to hold off on any HRT just in case any endo "slipped by"...comforting isn't it? I totally trust my doctor though and if he has the insight to say 'let's wait on the HRT', then I'll listen to him and wait. I asked how long? He said until you can't handle any symptoms that may occur. Everyone is different of course.

My symptoms so far have been the night sweats and headaches. About 1 a week enough to make me take to the couch for the entire day. It is winter so it could very well be sinus headaches, but I'm just not sure. Would rather take something for a migraine then to start HRT. It is confusing (HRT). Not sure what to do when.

What is anyone doing to aleviate these symptoms naturally?

Also, is it hard for any of you to get back on track eating right (heathly)?

Thanks and happy recovery!
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:05 AM

Mary Beth,
You read my mind. I came here today hoping to find other two weekers reporting where they were at in recovery so I could figure out how I am doing.

I had a TAHBSO with rectocele repair. I feel like I am doing really well. My only complaints are trouble sleeping and trouble with BMs.

The sleeping was a problem prior to surgery but is made worse now by the fact that I am normally a stomach sleeper. I got a sleeping compound from the health store and that is helping a bit. I fall asleep faster and instead of waking up every hour I can now get 2 - 3 hours of sleep in before I wake up.

The BM problem is something I'm still working on. It feels like things move along fine till they reach the rectum and then they just don't want to move anymore. I'm afraid to add to much "push" due to the rectocele repair. The only pain seems to be from my hemorrhoids. Doc has me using laxatives to try and establish some regulatity. I've been taking ducolax pills but I'm wondering it I'd be better off with a suppository since the stoppage seems to be at the end of the line. Anyway, This is the only thing I really have to worry about.

I haven't driven yet but Doc said it would be ok. I did go out to dinner the other night and that went well.

I had 2 docs. The one who did the hysterectomy saw me 11 days post-op to remove the last of the staples and told me I was doing well and didn't need to go see him again. I felt so abandoned! The next day I saw the rectocele doc. He was surprised I'd been let go so quickly by doc #1. Doc #2 is also a GYN and said he wouldn't abandon me. He checked the incision and discussed all the issues the first doc should have. I'll see him again at the 6 week point or sooner if I have any problems.

As far as my routine goes, I get up each morning and have breakfast. Then it's right back to bed for a short nap. After that I'm up till bed time. I'm taking 2 colace a day and a laxative as needed. Once in a while I take an ibuprofin for aches in my knees or back. I haven't really needed any pain med for the surgery since my second day home. I try to get out and walk as much as I am comfortable with.

Janice
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:09 AM

I forgot to ask.. I've been wondering about the menopause symptoms that many face.. hot flashes, etc. When do these usually show up? It sounds like people get them within a few days of surgery. Do they ever show up weeks later? Long before the surgery I was forming the opinion that my ovaries were shutting down and I was heading into menopause. Now I am wondering, in the absence of the symptoms, if my hormone levels were already so low that removing the ovaries didn't make enough of a difference to trigger any big adjustments. Anybody know more about how this works?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register