2 weeks post-op now, anyone else? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post-op now, anyone else? 2 weeks post-op now, anyone else?

Unread 01-27-2005, 11:15 AM
2 weeks post-op now, anyone else?

Hi sisters,
I really do notice how diffrent one doctor is to another now. I had a two week appt yesterday.Lot of others sisters have a 1 week or a four week most of us seem to all have the magic 6 week appt.
I suffered very badly from the not being able to sleep thing.I feel very much for anyone else that has to also.I had my fears about hrt but after a week of only three hours of sleep a night I was ready to throw that patch on when he offered it to me yesterday morning.
I have already noticed a diffrence and so far so good I have not had any side effects. I know there are lots of herbs to help with the hotflashes ect......... If you cant or dont want to go with hrt.
I would suggest that if you have a herbal remidy store in your area that you contact them.We have a place here and the girls that worked there were very helpful.I took some herbal things to try to help with my lack of sleep.They have not done much yet, but I think given more time they will most likely help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 11:29 AM

Hi Mary Beth,

I am also at the two week point and things are going pretty well. I was on Cipro for one week and that made my bowels very loose. Still not back to normal a week later. My daughter said Cipro kills all the bacteria in your gut so I am mixing my breakfast familia with organic yogurt. Glad to have missed the BM problems.

To some other sisters: there are pediatric sized suppositories available if you need something milder.

The incision has never hurt although there was oozing at the bottom end, lasting for about 10 days.

My DIL was home without a car so we let her use one of ours since I couldn't drive.

My biggest complaints are cabin fever and feeling cold all the time. As I type this my fingers actually hurt.

This recipe cheers me up:

Punctured Princess Punch
1 ice teaspoon of sherbert in a tall glass
Fill glass 1/3 with
gingerale
cranberry juice
orange juice

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery. Time for a nap with the

Susan
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:35 AM

justjanice,

I don't know the answer regarding onset of menopause symptoms post surgery, but I know there are threads out there about it.

According to what I have read surgical menopause symptoms can more severe in nature because of the abrupt change in hormone levels versus occuring naturally, where your body tapers off production.

I started having hot flashes and night sweats about 4-5 days post-op. The hot flashes weren't frequent or overly severe (compared to my Mom who is in natural menopause).
However I was terribly weepy and depressed. And sleeping was difficult due to positioning etc and needing to pee all the time.

I pretty much sleep through the night now and trips to pee are less frequent both during the day and night. I am not much of a day napper so I am up once I'm up kind of thing.

MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 11:36 AM

Toots1164,
Have you checked out the Hormone Jungle board?
There may be some answers there for you regarding HRT and nonHRT. I know there is a forum for those NOT taking HRT

It is all so overwhelming at times.

Glad to hear from you ladies

Mary BEth
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Feeling not too bad

It's great reading posts from other 2-weekers. I had a TAH and was able to keep my ovaries so I am fortunate that I am not having an menopausal symptoms. My DS is looking after me and doing a great job. I am usually great during the day...thinking I can do more and more each day, but then in the evenings I start feeling the pain around my incision. I guess I need to slow down...take it easy...and not do too much. I am only on Extra strength tylenol ...usually taking at night. I go to see my doctor for a two week check on Monday ( it will have been 17 days). I am very curious about what he found....I know there were multiple fibroids and one very large one. But he also told me in the hospital that I probably had Adenymyosis. I am so glad I won't have the pain and bleeding anymore. I had an endometrial ablation that was unsuccessful last year....and so had no choice but to have the hyst. But I am okay about it. this is such a terrific sight and I wish all my sisters well hoping for speedy recoveries.
Sherry
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Wow

You guys are doing great driving and cooking. I thought I was doing well at just getting myself around here. Have done no cooking or driving. Just went out of the house for the first time yesterday. Guess I better get moving eh.
My incision feels kinda pully and boy I can relate to the no sleep. My back gets so sore and I get so uncomfortable yet.
My surgery was Jan 13. I feel bad now maybe I am being too lazy.
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Wow it is great to hear that others feel the same things. I will be 2 weeks on Friday TAH/1 ovary. I have been very lucky to have my husband home for 2 weeks. I have 3 kids and they like him home too but can't wait til I am back at the helm. My Dr. gave me a sleeping pill to take so I get that oh so important night sleep. It has been working but I now have backed off and tired tylenol PM. So far so good. I also have that bladder and urinating thing going on too. Dr. tested for infection nothing but did give me Peridiem for a couple of days and the cranberry juice does seem to help. I look at the way I felt last week this time and know I getting better each day. Today was my best day so far. I really feel alot better, although I tire easily. I don't look forward to Monday when my husband goes back but I have to start somewhere. So happy I found this site.

Denise
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:41 PM

I to am at the 2 week mark. I have good days and bad days. I to am driving and trying to get into routine with the kids. My biggest complaint is being tired. I am on iron for anemia and lost a lot of blood in surgury. Grandmaangel14 you should not feel lazy at all. If I didn't have to get in with the swing I to wouldn't be pushing it.
Does anybody's incision kind of sweat and causes it to get irritated? It's kinda of embarassing to ask, but i know you guys have heard worst. Thanks everyone.
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:53 PM

Ally
My Dr. told me to keep the incision dry and clean. My sister works in a hopsital and brought me home abdomen badges. They look like little mini pads. You can buy them at your local CVS or drug store. I wear on just in the crease and they seem to help keep things clean and dry. I used this method when I had my 3 c-sections and it worked. NO INFECTIONS. Good luck .

Denise
Unread 01-27-2005, 01:09 PM

Deni45
Thamks I will try that tonight. I remember vaguely having the same problem with my middle child, but they gave me some amti fungal cream. I just want to avoid a trip to the dr as I don;t want to be around sick people. I guess I'm being a bit of a snop ehh!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register