Desperate! need help!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Desperate! need help!! Desperate! need help!!

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Desperate! need help!!

My parents bought me a "neck wrap" for Christmas, but gave it to me early so I could have it after surgery. It's a cloth "natural aromatherapy herb pack", filled with yummy smelling herbs. You can pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes to heat it, or you can freeze it. It is heavenly. My DH and I take turns with it.

http://www.naturecreation.com/index2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Desperate! need help!!

Hi auntem

I am almost 3 years TAH/BSO, I also went through a battery of tests. MRI, EMG for pain in my neck and numbness in arms and fingers. Turns out I have degerating c7...any way...I stopped my premarin after the 1st year. No real reason I just wanted to see if I felt a difference. I didn't and I not taking hormones now, but I can relate to how you feel, I was depressed, I take 50mg of zoloft at night and and 150mg Wellbutrin in the am.
Sound like a lot right? It's not. Depression is not a bad word, you have to except that it is what it is. All I wanted to do was close the curtains, pull up the covers and stay there for a really really long time. My best friend took me to my primary after having enough of my pity parties. I've been taking them for over 1 year and I feel wonderful. I do Feel. Some people say that you will not have any feelings or emotions...when you take these.
WRONG...also the great thing about Wellbutrin is that is curbs your appetitie!! So you may shed a pound or two that alone is enough to make you smile.
But auntem....you will be fine, you are alive...even without a few extra parts.
You took the first step at helping yourself....coming to visit Hystersisters....
Good luck
Donna
Unread 01-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Desperate! need help!!

Hi Auntem,
Good morning to you. How are things going today? I would like to respond to your post here. Maybe if I share my experience it could possibly help a little. I too had it all removed. ( my choice)
I was immediately put on .1mg vivelle dot. When I went back to work 8-16-2004 after my 6 weeks. I too suffered from headaches. I kept calling my OB/surgeon's nurse. She kept telling me to hang in there, that it took a while for the patch to adjust. My surgery was 7-6-2004. So far, so good. Except until recently. I started having headaches again. Too make a long story short. I went to a new medical doctor. ( oh yeah, also I am on lexapro for depression) I have been for a long time, even before surgery. This new doctor talked to me and said well, the headaches and stress and anxiety and stuff could be inter-related. So, since Dec.2004. I went from lexapro to effexor to wellbutrin. I put MYSELF back on lexapro. My depression issues were not giving me the problems anyway. I think the new doctor was trying to address my anxiety issues by changing my depression meds. So, back to square one. THe effexor and wellbutrin DID NOT WORK FOR ME AT ALL. ( I know we are all different) Then I went back to this doctor and he suggested putting me from vivelle dot .1mg to premarin pills. Mind you, I feel my hormones are in tact. Dummy me went and got the premarin filled. After sleeping on it. I decided oops. Maybe I SHOULD have called my OB/ surgeon. I did. They pitched a fit and said. WE put you on vivelle dot.1mg. You have been fine on it for 6 months. Why change it? So, back to square one again. ( sorry so lengthy) Meanwhile, I went to a GNC store and bought a jar of progesterone cream. Just to see what happens. MORAL TO MY STORY---- I stayed on vivelle dot.1mg. I stayed on lexapro for depression. Since I have started the progesterone cream a week ago. My neck/back/knees/ total body. IS NOT HURTING... Oh yeah, I left out one very important thing. I have had back surgery 2001. I have been going to my chiropractor for 25 years. When I came out of surgery. My neck, shoulders,back and all was hurting really bad. I had to go for several adjustments. I know this is long and confusing. What I am trying to tell you is. Upping the dosage on your vivelle dot to possibly .1mg ma help you. I know lexapro is not for every one but it has been a friendly anti depressant for me. No side effects. Getting chiropractic adjusments can help you tremendously. Also, I am sticking with my old doctor and not doctor hopping any more, looking for the famous fix. I hope this helps.
Can you tell I am just on my first cup of coffe and having an extremely hard time expressing myself? Hee Hee.
Cheers to ya. I hope life improves 100% for ya.
Sunshine 48 (Today life is good** no headaches or body aches today!!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Hello Again

I just wanted to give an update,
Thank you for your responses. What would I do withou you all here for me. Every since I knew I was getting surgery I have been posting when I need help and there has always been wonderfull support here.

1st of all I did call the gyn and we increased the vivelle dot patch to .0375 ( I think that is is) I was on a lower dose before. I have not noticed any difference in the headaches since I started the new patch on saturday but I will give it time. I know I must be crazy taking a higher dose since I have so much breast cancer in my family and probably should not take it all to be honest.

I will let you know if this makes a difference. Responding to a post: I have though of checking into the progesterone creme but have been told estrogen with progesterone combined has been proven to increase the breast cancer chance. Estrogen alone has not. Also responding to post: My regular doctor has perscribed me zoloft as she thinks from the surger and all I have went through I am depressed. I don't feel depressed and my husband agrees. I did not take them yet as a little scared. Don't want to screw myself up too much with drugs. I am having trouble enough adjusting to the one I take.

Thanks again for the responses.
Your the best.

Lisa
Unread 01-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Desperate! need help!!

Good luck to you Lisa. I truly wish you the best. Take care and please keep us posted. We are all in this together...
Sunshine 48
Unread 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Desperate! need help!!

Hi Lisa,

So happy that you are feeling better, a little peace of mind goes a very long way.

I have been taking zoloft for 2 1/2 years now, and when I first started taking it I was scared myself. But I had to do something, I was crying and just generally blue all of the time. Couldn't drag myself out of it. I have never taken anthing stronger than a Tylenol, so me having a morphine drip in the hospital, completely flipped me out.
When I started the Zoloft it was .25mg...and I remember waiting for a strange feeling or something weird. After about 2 weeks, my son said to me "mom you are smiling and laughing again..."
But always remember you have to do what feels best for you.
We are here to give you our personal accounts of what worked for us.
But you are on the right road, Lisa. Your DH sounds like a great guy, especially now. You are very lucky.

Just remember it gets better and better...

Take Care
Donna

TAH/BSO, june 12, 2002
Unread 01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Desperate! need help!!

Hi. You're doing the right thing by talking to the doc so frequently, and asking so many questions. I, too, am on the vivelle dot patch, and every time I change it, I have a whopper of a headache the next day. My hubby said I should call the doc, but I have not. I am new to this, so I will keep a chart, and see if it's truly related to the patch. I think it is. I have taken more tylenol on Weds., and Sundays!!!!!!!!!! It's not the same feeling as my migraines, just an intolerance of noise and people (not good for a teacher!) I was taking zoloft before surgery, and continued it the week after surgery. I don't know why the doc took me off for a week, but I didn't notice any difference. It does not make me whacky or anything, just more patient, and focused on what I should be focused on. Everyone is different, and you will definitely know if it's for you or not. If you don't like it, then stop. My family didn't know I was taking it, until I told them after a month. I DID tell my Mom, though, in case something weird happened to me, she would know why!
I hope you're feeling better! It's normal to cry, you don't feel well! Do you feel any better when you either have coffee or something with caffeine, like chocolate? Sometimes this helps take an edge off of my headache (not totally, but a little).
Good luck, know that I am thinking of you! Write and let us know how you're doing!
Unread 02-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Desperate! need help!!

I know that I'm a little late on this one, but I couldn't resist...

Zoloft is NOT a "happy drug". It does not give you a chemical high or a chemical "happy". It reduces the amount of "unhappy" chemicals your body absorbes. Your body produces "happy chemicals and unhappy chemicals... When they're in balance you are neither manic (hyper and unable to concentrate) due too an overbalance of happy chemicals, nor depressive (feelings of anxiety or fear, paranoia, self pity, pain... yes, physical pain can be caused by these chemicals) due to an overbalance of unhappy chemicals. All that Zoloft does is make sure that you're not having an overbalance of unhappy chemicals. It is one of the least invasive mood regulators (not really an anti-depressant) in use today.

What I'm saying is, please don't refuse to try Zoloft because you're afraid of a chemical high... it doesn't add anything into your system, just balances what's already there!
Unread 02-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Started new patch

Well , so far so good
I have not noticed a drastic change but the headaches have seemed a little better. Of course this week is the big test. I started patch in saturday and I came to work on monday and had to call off on tuesday due to a sick child. Stress seems to be a factor here and if the increase is truly making a difference I will find out by the end of this week being here at my stressfull job. Thank you sooooo much for the zoloft advice. I also have not taken much of any medication other then advil. I also was flippy about taking the morphine drip in the hospital and was worried. But boy did that stuff work great. I was upset when then said they had to take me off of it! heheh

I will post at the end of the week to let you guys know how this worked. If this does not work I may go ahead and try the zoloft. I am weird about trying it but having these headaches and muscle pain in the shoulders and neck be gone would be sooooo nice. Even people at work notice I am not as perky and happy since my surgery.

Thanks a bunch
Unread 02-04-2005, 07:35 AM
crossing my fingers

Well,
Today is friday and still no headaches. The muscle spasms in my shoulders are better also although they are not completely gone. There is still a dull ache there but nothing like it was. I am still just crossing my fingers here. I am not sure if I just had a good week and got lucky or if it is the increase in hormones. I am going to keep what I am doing and see what next week brings. My kids have been soo sick. My daughter missed the whole week of school with a head/ sinus cold and has had a fever. My son has a cold too. It figures my headaches are great but yesterday I noticed my throut being scratchy and yesterday and today I have felt very drained. Well I got rid of the headaches and may be catching a cold/flu. Well good trade to me as the cold/ flu will go away in a week. hehehe

Talk to you later,
Your the best!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Eagles!!!!
Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register