So many ovary questions today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So many ovary questions today So many ovary questions today

Unread 01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
So many ovary questions today

Wow!! there are a lot of us wondering if we should have kept our ovaries.
My doc just said that keeping them would ease me into menopause and that it was always better to keep healthy organs if possible.

Now...I'm worried. Are there tests we should have to check them? What would symptoms be if something goes wrong with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005, 10:07 AM

I don't know if there are any tests......I only had one ovary going into my hyst - my right ovary was removed in 1990 when a tumor attached to it (big as a football) flipped over and crushed it.

I was worried about keeping my left ovary because I would hate to get a huge tumor again and have to go through surgery AGAIN.

Anyway, the doc said it was perfectly healthy and I came home with my ovary intact.

You have me thinking.....I will definitely ask my doctor if there are any tests to make sure my ovary is normal in the future...
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Annual pelvic exam! Same as before. Get your mammogram, get your pelvic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005, 01:35 PM

My Dr. was very clear with me at my 1 week follow-up that the one ovary that they left appeared to be in good working order and that we would keep track of it through typical yearly evals and ultrasounds. He did say that if it a problem develops in the future with that ovary it could very likely be dealt with laprascopically.
Best of luck,
Colleen
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, sisters, but now I'm wondering if I will have to have an ultrasound to make sure they are okay in the future. Because with the yearly exam they swab the cervix and feel the uterus through the abdomin, but the ovaries are in there where they can't take a sample.

I just got out my medical book which states that there is no simple screening test for ovarian cancer. I guess I better talk to my doc again.

I still wonder what the symptoms would be with ovarian cysts?
Unread 01-29-2005, 04:56 PM

Let me know what you find out, 5152 - I go to the doc on Feb. 7th and I will ask, too. I am concerned about this issue also.....
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:12 PM

I had frequent ovarian cysts before my hyst. I kept both of my ovaries because of my age and they were both "normal". Any time I've had a cyst, it's been VERY painful...similar to PMS cramping but much much worse. The pain can also come at times other than when your nomal period would be.
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM

Sisters,

There is a new screening blood test for ovarian cancer.....actually I think it measures some type of tumor marker so I could be helpful for other organs.

It is called CA125. It is the best test available at the present time. However, it is not always sensitive enough to alert women of early stage ovarian cancer.....like stage I. And that of course is the biggest problem with this type of cancer.....symptoms don't usually appear before it's in an more advanced stage.

I think it's likely that they will be able to see your ovary after removing your uterus, with a vaginal ultrasound. It's at least worth a try each year.

It's a bummer having all these important organs inside....UNLIKE men who have it much easier with this area of health.

Unread 01-29-2005, 05:37 PM

I had a CA125 done as part of my testing. If you do a google search for it "CA 125" you will get information on it.

There are several things that will raise the antibody this test measures besides cancer. My Ca125 was 200 and elevated levels are considered to be over 35

Other things that can raise CA125 levels include
endometriosis
uterine fibroids
diverticulitis
other I can't remember off the top of my head

I was cancer free but did have endo and fibroids which raised my level.

MAry BEth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register