hormone issues even w/one ovary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hormone issues even w/one ovary? hormone issues even w/one ovary?

Unread 01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
hormone issues even w/one ovary?

I had a LAVH & RSO in September. I had severe hot flashes & headaches for a week following, and then moderate for about a month. The headaches are gone; I have occasional hot flashes, but not the gown-drenching sweats I had at first...just enough to be hot and uncomfortable for a few minutes, usually in the evening or bedtime, maybe once a week, if that often. It doesn't wake me up at night.
The doctor explained that the good ovary was in shock, and it would wake up and everything would be okay. And that sex should be the same as before since I still have one functioning ovary.

Well....sex is not the same. It is somewhat painful, needing a lot of lubrication. I keep thinking that I just need to keep practicing, and it will get better. But the orgasms are non-existent, and the libido has taken a dive.
My question is...even tho I have one ovary, could I still have a hormone imbalance that is causing the problems w/ resuming sex? I was cleared at six weeks (altho we didn't try until I was about 10 weeks post-op), and we've tried 3 or 4 times and each time it is worse than the time before and now I feel so discouraged and depressed.
I have an appt. w/my doctor (not the GYN who did the surgery, my PCP who is a woman and much easier to talk to and is more understanding) in a week or so, and I'm wondering if I should ask her about this...or just give it more time and practice.
Thanks,
Cath

LAVH, RSO, TVT - 9/13/04 (no HRT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 01:17 AM

Hi Cath I've moved your post over here to the Post Op forum since your surgery was fairly recent.

Yes, it is possible that with one ovary gone, the other one wouldn't be producing enough hormones for you to feel your best. It's also possible that your remaining ovary is still in shock.

I'd definitely ask the DR at your next appointment... they can order a FSH test to determine whether your remaining ovary is working or not.

Meanwhile, you might ask for some vaginal estrogen to help keep things moist 'down there'. Here is a link to an article about vaginal dryness and the solutions for treating it:

vaginal dryness

Let us know what the DR says, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-29-2005, 02:34 AM

hi cath, i have had a TAH with one ovary removed and have also been feeling very weird, moody and tearful.the sex things not an issue as im single at the mo, but i have had a blood test to check my hormones and am still awaiting the results!Go to your doc and demand a blood test to check your hormones!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:31 AM

Hello Cath,

Have them pull more than an FSH. You need all of your hormones checked.
I also have one ovary, and when I had hormones tested, all were awry. I was less symptomatic than you. They should check your thyroid, too.
All of the hormones as individuals can affect each other, it's quite a delicate balance.
Good luck, feel better, keep us posted.

Marcia
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:03 AM

thanks for the encouragement and information.
I just didn't realize until yesterday when reading through other posts that hormones could be the culprit, so now I will definitely talk to the doctor about it.
Cath
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:54 AM

Hi sisters,
I have one overy left. I am 2weeks two days post op. I was not sleeping, crying and VERY moody. Wendesday I saw the doc he said it must be my estergen level. He tested it .It took a fews days for the results to come back. By the time they did he already had me on a patch.I feel so much better now I am sleeping almost nine hours a night and it is great,
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:18 PM
If it helps - you're not alone!

Hi there,
I'm only 2 weeks post-op, but I've been cold/hot (mostly cold ) since 5 days after the surgery. I lost only 1 ovary I had been on BCP before, but my Dr thinks my left ovary should have woken up by now, but it appears that this is not the case

I have read (probably here, but I cannot remember for sure) that surgery in the abdomen can interfere with blood supply to the ovary and it can be permanently damaged. Hopefully, our ovaries will wake up, but if not, we may have had the Dr save an ovary for nothing. That's discouraging...
Unread 01-29-2005, 08:49 PM

Hi

You might want to reconsider asking to have your hormone levels tested. It's very expensive for one thing and doesn't tell you anything you don't already know if you are having symptoms of menopause. A simple FSH test will be a good indicator of how your ovary is doing and it's much less expensive. Bottom line is, if you are having symptoms of menopause it can be taken care of quite simply by prescribing a low dose of estrogen--something that can be done with or without sophisticated testing. It's largely a trial and error process even knowing what the numbers are. Generally starting on a low dose and working up gradually, giving each change time to register with your body, is the way to go.

By all means call your doctor if your symptoms are bothering you but in my opinion asking for full hormone level testing, especially early on in recovery, is a waste of money.

Best wishes to each of you!

Unread 01-30-2005, 08:32 PM
about my hormone tests

My Dr sent me for total estrogen plus FSH, but results aren't back yet - phooey! I should find out tomorrow. I had my post-op appt on Wed and told him about my cold chills & weepiness, and he sent me for the tests right from his office. The tests shouldn't be too expen$ive, since my $11,500 bill came from the hospital the other day - looks like I have met my deductible! LOL!

Unless he tells changes his mind from his perusal of the results, he had originally told me to resume taking my BCP, Estrostep FE, to suppress cyst development in the remaining ovary.

The hormone load of these pills is 20, 30 and 35 mcg estrogen. I am hopeful that getting back on them will eliminate the coldness.

Thanks all!

Angie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register