irritating leg compression thingys | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

irritating leg compression thingys irritating leg compression thingys

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:34 AM
irritating leg compression thingys

Hi again sisters!

Did anyone else find those inflating leg compression things irritating?

I'll be honest, the first day being on so much pain medicine they didn't really bother me, but come around midnight their constant inflating and deflating and the noise made by the machine just started getting on my nerves, and I really wanted them off! I was so glad the next morning when the nurse finally took them off!

THey made it kind of difficult to move my legs around in the bed, too, and the tubes would get kinked and start making even weirder noises.

But I guess when it comes right down to it I'd rather listen to that irritating PFFFT PFFFT PFFFT PFFFT than have a blood clot.

--QB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:53 AM

Hi,
I found them irritating also, but understood why they use them and was happy to have had them. My thing was the next day, I was up and around and they still had them on me, but not hooked up. When I asked the nurse, they said I had to leave them on, but the <oops> nurse never hooked them back up. Eventually I took them off. I had a couple of nurse trainees that made me a very cranky patient at times! I could of dropped dead from a blood clot and they probably would not have realized it.
Debbie
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:25 AM

i did not have the boots but had stockings. My calves are small but I have large thighs so they were very tight in the thigh area. I now have red raised itchy rings around each thigh where they started to roll down.

I also had a shot of blood thinner in my arm 2 hours before surgery and it left a huge nasty black and blue bruise, anyone else have this?

I had to have all of this because I have leiden factor 5, it's a genetic blood clotting disorder. I have never had a blood clot but dang sure wanted to prevent one. If you get a blood clot during surgery would you know it right away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 10:12 AM

Hi. I did not have those things for my surgery. Maybe we don't know about them up here in Canada! I did get a shot of blood thinner b4 surgery and every 12 hours after. As soon as you were up and walking around they stopped the shots. SO the thought of one less needle really got me up and about in a hurry.
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by millet4261
Hi,
I found them irritating also, but understood why they use them and was happy to have had them. My thing was the next day, I was up and around and they still had them on me, but not hooked up. When I asked the nurse, they said I had to leave them on, but the <oops> nurse never hooked them back up. Eventually I took them off. I had a couple of nurse trainees that made me a very cranky patient at times! I could of dropped dead from a blood clot and they probably would not have realized it.
Debbie
Your experience sounds just like mine. I would have them disconnected to get up for the bathroom and then I'd ring to have them reconnected and they'd ignore me for hours. Then they'd show up and say how important it was to have them on. I wanted to clobber someone! But my device was a newer one that compressed a part of your feet. Supposedly they are just as good. I got to walking right away frequently so they'd disconnect them because I didn't like the sound either.
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:42 AM

I had the compression boots also. The part the bugged me was they were so itchy. I started getting a rash around my knees and upper calves. I think they were made of out of some kind of plastic. They had to put towels on my legs so I wouldn't itch. That made me hot and sweaty. Needless to say I was a happy camper when I finally got rid of them.
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Hi, I think I'm the minority because I liked them! lol, would have taken them home with me if I could. LOL

Belle
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM

I had an epidural in from Monday untill Wednesday afternoon, so I had the inflatable boots on for three days. I got used to the noise, but I use an air filter in my bedroom and didn't pay much attention to them I guess.

I would like to have brought them home too. They would be great for my legs after being on them all day at work. Usually the only time I sit down during the day is lunchtime.

Martha

TAH/BSO/Appendectomy for large fibroid and cystic ovaries
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:48 AM

Yes...we do have them in Canada (BB2)...at least in Calgary. I had them on for two days until I could get out of bed and start walking around. The first day I didn't really care that they were on because I also had a catheter and couldn't care a less what was happening to me...high on morphine I guess. But at the end of the second day when the nurses were encouraging me to walk around more, they came off. I am glad that I had them because I sure wouldn't want any blood clots happening!! Happy recuperating everyone....every day does get a little better...day 17 and counting.
Sherry
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Repressed memories of leg compression thingies - was I in denial?

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about those leg compression thingies. They drove me nuts. They would feel okay but then would get really tight, and I begged the night nurse to adjust them, but she didn't want to be bothered. Still, my neighbor got a blood clot after surgery (didn't have the thingies) so I am glad that we all put up with them.

It's so funny that I totally blocked that memory out until I read your thread!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register