Rare for vaginal cuff stitches not to heal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rare for vaginal cuff stitches not to heal? Rare for vaginal cuff stitches not to heal?

Unread 01-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Rare for vaginal cuff stitches not to heal?

I have searched and searched and searched, but I cannot find any info regarding what to do when the vaginal cuff stitches fail to seal off the cuff. Has anyone had to have their vaginal cuff resewn? Or does it really heal on its own?

I am not referring to "prolapse"... nothing is falling through the opening or pressing against it.

The surgery report says my vaginal cuff was "oversewn with the Endo-stitch surgical suturing device using #0 Polysorb suture" with a "double layer closure".

But instead of holding the edges together and healing correctly, the edges have pulled apart, against the stitches. The cuff is open at the top, by about a half inch or so. It has been 6 weeks since surgery. The surgeon wants to see me in another month (10 weeks after surgery). He is hoping it will heal all by itself.

I am wondering why he doesn't just go in vaginally and re-sew it closed. Wouldn't that make a stronger seam, able to withstand sex? How is a half inch opening going to heal itself shut strong enough to withstand that? Wouldn't that put me at greater risk for prolapse or tearing?

The pain from this isn't unbearable... only a 1 to 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. The only restrictions I was given were no sex, no going back to work, no heavy weightlifting, and no situps or crunches. There is quite a bit of pink, brown and yellow drainage.

I am going to call on Monday to ask the surgeon these questions. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, knows anything about it, or could refer me to a website that discusses it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Ravenna3.....What timing this is....Yesterday morning I had my vaginal cuff clipped where the granulation was. The DR tried to cauterize about three weeks ago....It didn't seem to work. So yesterday he numbed me up, then clipped, then stitched. I'll keep you up to date. I'm feeling ok today. I was just looking to see if anyone else had had this experience. HUGS YOUR WAY...Susuhall
Unread 01-30-2005, 01:17 PM

Ravenna3,
Oh Dear! How do you know the cuff is open? Did you have a vaginal exame at the Dr's office? I went to the Dr 2 weeks post and he gently checked inside, said it was good. Then at 5 weeks, I went to have the stent removed from my bladder by the urologist- he used a tube with an optic inside and a TV, and I got to see the new ureter opening and the incision line. Some swelling around the new opening still causing stinging when I pee, but much better without that stent!!! Anyway---I asked him to check inside my vagina and he showed me the cuff (healing well) and the stitches that are holding the walls tight, and I wondered just how many sisters got to actually see the cuff and the healing. I do not think I would have gotten to see this if I were not at the ur office!
The cuff closes off your body from the vaginal area, how can you leave it open to heal on it's own? Please write back and let us know what your DR says about this.
Love, Ladybug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2005, 03:29 PM

I have had three internal exams...

* 2 weeks - looked good, but nonstop drainage.

* 3 1/2 weeks - 1/4 inch hole at top, stitches pulling apart, nonstop drainage and some heavy bleeding.

* 6 weeks - 1/2 inch hole at top, stitches gone and flesh pulling apart, nonstop drainage.

My preference would be for the doc to go in and re-sew it.
Unread 01-30-2005, 03:41 PM

So is that where the drainage is coming from---inside the body through the vagina?
I think your Dr would know best, but you could insist on being re-stitched. Sounds darn reasonable to me. This is one message I would really like to see how things are handled. Please keep posting. Thanks, Ladybug
Unread 01-31-2005, 07:49 AM

Ravenna,
This sounds very serious!
It seems to me that you could prolapse and I agree that it seems far fetched for a half inch opening to want to grow together. If I were you, I would really get agressive with your doc or see some one else.

Please! be careful.

Hugs-Melissa
Unread 01-31-2005, 06:29 PM

Hi, Ravenna. My stitches pulled apart at the cuff, too, but mine has healed. At my 2 week checkup after surgery, the cuff was healing just fine. At my 4 week checkup, the stitches had pulled apart and the edges of the cuff were completely apart. My doc told me to take it easy (her words: no bouncing) and it would heal on its own. Since I had already experienced an abdominal incision (6" long) that had had to be packed and healed without stitches (different surgery with infection last year), I knew it was very possible that the vaginal cuff could heal on its own without stitches, too, so didn't worry about it. Went back for my 7 week checkup last week and everything has healed completely.

Sometime in my 3rd week after LAVH, I had 2 days of bleeding (hadn't bled at all before or after that). We think that the bleeding was due to me ripping my stitches out somehow, probably rough-housing with my dogs.

So, yes it's possible that the cuff will heal on its own without more stitches. But the hole in your cuff seems to be getting larger instead of closing up, so I think it would be reasonable to ask your doc to re-stitch.

Chris
Unread 01-31-2005, 07:31 PM

I went to the surgeon's office today to drop off my disability extension papers. (They charged me $50 to fill out the form!!!) He wasn't available for me to ask my questions, so the office assistant had me put them down in writing for him. He has not called me, yet.

Since Susuhall got resewn right in the doc's office, I don't see why that can't be done for me. I even put in the note that I would be willing to have another laparoscopy.

I am flying to New Orleans tomorrow for a week of vacation. I will try to get a hold of him while I am there.
Unread 01-31-2005, 08:07 PM

Hi Ravenna,

Try not to worry too much. Like Chris said, it is possible for the open area to granulate in (fill in) and heal on it's own. Hopefully yours will do just that and you'll get better news at your next visit.

Best wishes,
Beth
Unread 01-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Take it easy

Please be very careful during this time while you're waiting to heal. I guess this is a problem I had too but because doc didn't do a pelvic at my 2 week post op we didn't know. Now 6 weeks later I have a raging infection caused by intercourse before I was healed. I felt AWESOME for 6 weeks and now I feel horrible. So please, please take care of yourself.

Love and blessings,
Angie K.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register