Exercise Time Scale Advice Please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise Time Scale Advice Please Exercise Time Scale Advice Please

Unread 01-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Exercise Time Scale Advice Please

Hi Sisters

Following TAH on 5th November really need to try and get in shape - just tried to "skip" and it was sheer agony - bolts of pain shooting right across my abdomen - can anybody offer me their advice as to whether this is normal at this stage or could there be something wrong. I have been doing plenty of walking and pelvic floor exercises, but thought that by this stage I should try to incorporate some more exercises - am I pushing it too early! Can any of you ladies please offer me advice on how long it was after your ops before you could do more physical forms of exercise other than walking. When sleeping I can lay on my side, but boy oh boy if I turn on to my stomach during the night - the pain really kicks in. The hospital have done a scan and everything seems OK. Please give me your advice re exercise - it is so nice to hear how others have felt who have undergone same op as opposed to what the text book says we should all feel like. Hope to hear from you soon

Best wishes
Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 11:23 AM

Everyone recovers differently but me, I have been excersing 20 hours a week since 7 weeks post op wtih dr's permission. I run, hike, jump on trampoline, do up to 100 situps, weights up to 120 pounds and swim laps as well as walk. I have no pain, so each day I do more. I was sleeping on my tummy by about 3 weeks, little bits at a time because it did hurt. I used miricle oil on my incission everynight for the first 6 weeks,my scar is barely visable and my cats walk all over my tummy and I get no pains.The only thing I CANT do is ride bike, hurts to much and makes evreything go numb down there, than I get loads of pressure. I got very lucky with my surgery, the first ten days were hell, couldn't take pain meds, but by day 12 it was like I nevre had surgery.
I wish every once success,
Unread 01-29-2005, 07:37 PM

I am 10weeks on Monday and am yet to return to my regular exercise routine.

My doc restricted me from the gym for 12 weeks. And at my 8 week check was told only gentle exercise due to excessive swelling and distended bowels.

Everyone is different, your return to activities can only be determined by your healing and your doctors release. Walking is about the only thing that is safe to do until you are released by your doctor.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:04 PM

I'm three weeks post op. I know that I can't exercise yet, but do you think that walking at a not too fast pace on a threadmill is alright?
Unread 01-30-2005, 03:12 AM

Hi Ladies
When I spoke to my doctor about exercise - no advice was given or a "release". Just left wondering!!

Thanks for your advice - I will bide my time a bit longer. I guess i am taking longer to heal than I thought
Best wishes to you all
Rita
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:39 AM

Following my doctors orders: I could walk on treadmill at 2 weeks and resume swimming at 4 weeks. Before surgery I swam 1 mile (72 laps) 3 days, water aerobics 1 day, jog 3 miles 2 days, rest 1 day. I knew I couldn't just jump back into this and I listened to my body. I had always thought that swimming didn't really effect your abdomen because even though I have gone from size 18 to 8 in last 3 years and have fairly muscular arms/legs I am no where near having a 6-pack but that first swim made me realize you do use your abd to swim because boy did it pull and make my tummy burn. I started with 36 laps and added 6 every other day until I worked up to 72 and with each day it got a little better. Just listen to your body and don't overdo, when your body says stop, STOP!

I had SAH, kept ovaries, on 11-22-04 and tried hard to refrain from taking pain meds. I was prescribed 2 every 4 hours but took only 1 every 5-6 hours and then only for about a week. I am kind of weird and believe you have to fill the pain to lose the pain and that taking pain pills just delays the inevitable. Tomorrow I will be 10 weeks post and feel great and do anything I want. I haven't tried a bike yet but am thinking of training for a mini triathalon so maybe... You know I'll be 50 in just 2 short years and I'm thinking of the Senior Olympics.
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:07 AM

Hello!

Everyone's situation is different. We are not all hiking, swimming and doing stomach crunches yet. I am three months out and still feel sometimes like I just had surgery. I tried stomach crunches at one point, about four weeks ago, and paid for it for about two weeks. Take your time and only your body will be able to tell you what you can handle!!
Steff
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:30 AM

Hi There!

Like a majority of the sisters said, everyone is different. Listen to your body and don't overdo it - you'll pay for it later! I had a TAH on 10/19 - I started walking at 5 weeks and worked up to 4 miles a day by about 8 weeks. I'm now running 4 miles a day, and when I'm not running, I usually cycle about 20 miles a day. I've also been running stairs at work and am up to doing about 60 stories a day. My doctor said not to attempt stomach crunches until February - so I'll give it a try this week!

Take your time and don't push yourself too hard - remember, you're still healing internally!

Take care,

Osprey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register