Acne?skin dryness? Anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Acne?skin dryness? Anyone? Acne?skin dryness? Anyone?

Unread 01-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Acne?skin dryness? Anyone?

I'm like 3 weeks post op LAVH ovaries and cervix OUT!!!!! I had very bad acne as a teenager and since I usually get acne around the time I start my period each month. WELL DON"T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PERIODS ANYMORE THANK YOU GOD!!!!! But since my surgery it seems my face is breaking out more than usual. My skin on my whole body is also very dry. Especially my face ankles and legs. I used cetaphil cream on my face and legs but I could still see all the dry flakes on my face And I itch also my anlkles and legs. I did put some aloe vera on my face and that felt good seemed to work better than the lotions or creams. Any advice??
Has anyone used proactive????? The commercials seem great but I'de rather hear from a real person if you know what I mean

Thanks for any help Kayline

P.s. I also drink alot of water all the time I do take hot showers I know that's not good for your skin but I just can't help it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Kayline,

Have you started on any estrogen replacement?

I also developed several breakouts of acne within the first 2 weeks after my hyster. I think it was do to "falling off the estrogen" cliff. Anytime there's a rapid hormone change I think people who are prone to acne get outbreaks.

The dry skin is likely from the lack of estrogen.

I am still trying to get my estrogen levels up and have had quite a bit of dry skin. Another possibility is if your thyroid has dropped to low. One indicator of hypothyroidism is dry skin especially around your elbows and knees.

Gina
Unread 01-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Hi sisters,
I have also been dealing with the very dry flakey skin.I started estrigen wednesday.As for proactive I have never used it but a friend of mine swears by it .She loves it she said it works better then any meds the doctor had put her on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 03:07 PM

I'm noticing the dry skin and break outs too...I'm guessing that once my ovaries "start to work" again it'll clear up.

I have used proactive and I LOVE it! I spent many $$$ on dermatologist prescriptions and none of them worked like the proactive did. I still use it and now my DH is hooked on it too! It's worth the purchase!
Unread 01-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Hi ladies - I noticed that for a few weeks post op my skin was dry, flaky and prone to breakouts - even my hair was dry and lifeless. I really believe that the anaesthetic is a huge culprit after surgery and it takes quite a few months to totally leave the system.

I am in the skincare business and I really think that following a STRICT skincare program twice a day is essential for great skin. Cleansing really well, using a scrub about 3 times a week, keeping skin moist and supple with an oil-free moisturiser does the trick.

Also DIET plays a huge part in good skin. I have been seeing a herbalist for nearly 6 months now for IBS and I have been told to eliminate all wheat and gluten products from my diet and what a difference that made. I have increased my protein intake as well as fruit and vegetables which are high in antioxidents.

So what I am trying to say is that no ONE product will keep your skin healthy and blemish free. Its really a combination of things.

Good luck ladies
Unread 01-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone I will be buying some proactive next week I almost got it last week but chickened out Didn't want another expensive disapointment. My problem with acne products is they make my skin red and really dry I went to dermatogist in HighSchool. and have used many many products nothing really worked well for me. And Yes I started with HRT day I was released from Hospital. Premarin .625mg I was getting hot flashes so dr told me to take 2 instead of 1 a day so far works great. have not had any hotflashes since. thanks again everyone I will look forward to more comments Kayline
Unread 01-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Oh gosh I thought it was just me and the winter months having such a problem with the severly dry skin and itching. My doc told me to take benedryl for the itching and that did help some. But it hasnt taken care of my dry skin. I resorted to some UtterCreme Lotion since I have very very sensitive skin I cant use just anything with perfumes etc. I had serious problems from the tape on my incision alone along with the rest of the things I posted earlier. I have kept myself hydrated and have resorted to totally baithing in lotion the moment I am dry from the shower. This has helped some...but I can still tell I am VERY DRY. At least I have hope now that this too will pass soon. Thanks for posting.....it helps me see I am not standing alone out here with all these issues
Lacey
Unread 01-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Dry skin - No HRT

Hi there everyone - jumping on to your thread - I also have this problem and notice that lots of replies have put it down to lack of oestrogen. Due to medical condition my doctor cannot put me on HRT - is there anybody else who is not taking hormones who can offer any advice in relation to dry flaky skin. I am also drinking lots of fluids, eating healthily and having to use masses of moisturisers. Hope to hear soon
Regards
Rita
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Rita,

I've got a friend who swears by taking extra vitamin E and Omega 3 & 6 capsules to help with her dry skin. I know they are all considered essential oils. Maybe this along with what you're already doing will help.

Gina
Unread 01-30-2005, 03:15 AM

Hi Gina

Thanks for the info - I will certainly give them a go. I have been taking Evening Primrose OIl capsules - but will try anything - so tonight will start on the Omegas and Vit E - cheers

Best wishes
Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register