I need advice for my mother. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need advice for my mother. I need advice for my mother.

Unread 01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
I need advice for my mother.

My mother is 67 years old. She just had a total hysterectomy due to ovarian cancer on Jan 4, 2005. Her cancer was at stage 3, the operation was performed at <hospital name snipped for safety/privacy concerns>. She is not recovering very well at all and I am scared out of my wits. She is always uncomfortable and her temp keeps bouncing around everywhere. Just an hour ago it topped out at 101.8 degrees Farenheit. We called the physician and he said to give her Tylenol but I am worried this only temporarily fixing the situation. She currently is being administered Zosyn(antibiotic) thru a Hickman device that we have to change out every 24 hours. She still has a hard time eating although I am able to give her Ensure but not as often as I would like as she has no appetite. I guess my question is, is there anyone here close to this age who has had this procedure done. I am thinking that maybe this home care is not the right idea for her as she is not getting much better. On top of this, she has a window to get better before she can be administered chemotherapy. I am sorry for sounding so urgent with this post but I am really up in arms on what to do as our doctors are currently not on call. One doctor said to just give her the Tylenol and check her temp again in 5 hours. UGGHH!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Hi There!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are worried about your mother's recovery from her surgery, and the complications she may be experiencing. It makes sense that you are concerned about her!

No one here at Hystersisters.com can give medical advice, as we are not doctors. If your doctors are not on call, and if you are worried about your mother's temperature, and cannot take her to an Urgent Care Facility or Emergency Room, please phone 911.

Many s to you!
Unread 01-29-2005, 07:22 PM

Bless your heart, I don't blame you for being so worried. I understand your concerns since I lost my Mom to cancer. I'm sure your Mom is going to beat her cancer and be just fine, but I know this is still a very frightening time for you both and my heart goes out to you. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both.

I just had my surgery on the 10th and had some complications and had about 24 hours of continual IV antibiotics. I can tell you as far as the appetite goes that when I was on the IV antibiotics in the hospital, I had no appetite at all and even had nausea. The antibiotics will do that.

Also remember that Mom's had major surgery and takes a lot out of a young healthy person so you can imagine how it zaps someone who has complications and isn't 20 years old!

A temperature of that stage generally indicates infection, but she is getting antibiotics, so the doctor probably is figuring that she needs time for them to take effect. Tylenol will lower the fever to keep her from having difficulties from the fever itself. If it fails to lower her temperature I would call 911 and have her transported back to the hospital. If you take her in by yourself she will end up having to set there until they get her in; if you take her by ambulance, they will take her right in and at least she will be in a bed where she can lie down!

Best wishes and please let us know how things go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:28 PM

By "home care", do you mean that a home care nurse comes and takes care of her, or does that mean that she's at home, with family?

If it were my mom, under those circumstances, I'd have her transported to the ER at the hospital. Since it's a weekend. At least you will know they will have to find out what's wrong, and she has more than usual symptoms that need treating.

I think she is young, since I'm about 12 or so years behind her! 60 is like 40 now.
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:34 AM

Thank you all for your responses. We did go ahead and call 911 and the ambulance came and got her. I guess I should continue to follow my gut instinct which we finally did. It's amazing how much of a "mind thing" recovery is. She dosent feel she was getting the proper care for post op where her surgery took place, now she is in a local hospital which she loves and is frightened of being transferred back to Baltimore. Her attitude and well being totally changed for the good as soon as she arrived, and they hadnt even done anything to her, bless her heart. I will be going down to see her later today to see how she is doing but her temp was stable which is what we were most concerned about. I just hope the family can convince her to keep fighting and to not give up. Just curious as to if we should force her to eat, or to let her eat when she is ready or to set up some sort of schedule that she should follow as far as her diet is concerned.
As far as the home care, what I meant was is that yes, there is a nurse that comes by from time to time to check on her but me and my step father do all of the therapy(mainly just draining the fluid bag from her side and switching out her antibiotics). I will keep you all up-to-date on her recovery.
Thank you all for your compassion and sympathy.
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:12 PM

I am glad to hear that you were able to get some help in a hospital that she feels comfortable in. That is important. You sound like a very compassionate person. You deserve a pat on the back. It is hard to see a parent in this type of situation. I hope everything goes well from now on for you all. Take care.
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:26 PM

Hi Clooney
Sorry to hear about your mum. I am 65 and had a TAH, plus lymph node removal, plus washings etc etc for ovarian cancer in November. I am now going through chemo.
When your mum comes home from hospital please ask her to send me a PM if she wants to. Does she know what kind of chemo as yet?
Let her know I'm thinking of her and send her hugs.

Glenys
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:37 PM

I'm glad you Mom is doing better! There is much to be said about having peace of mind for your recovery!

As far as her eating goes, I would ask to speak to a Dietitian-Nutritionist while she is in the hospital. This way, it would be someone who specializes in this particular type of situation and nutrition in her case. She would be able to discuss with you all kinds of options and what would be best for your Mom and how your part in her nutrition would come in play and how best you could assist her.

Don't let your Mom give up! There is always hope and treatment is advancing very quickly for cancer! Praying for you both!
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:40 PM

Clooney
It sounds like you did the right thing, you and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers.
A Big Hug For You!
Karen
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Hi Clooney,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom and I will put her in my thoughts and prayers. You and your family are going through such tough times.

I related so much to your post and it touched my heart in a deep way. I completely understand how you are feeling right now. My mom was 66 when she found out she had ovarian cancer and had a TAH. It was very hard for her and I was so, so worried about her. Luckily, she recovered after her surgery and chemotherapy and I talk to her almost every day. I can't imagine how my life might have been had things not worked out so well.

When I was reading your post, you expressed some feelings that touched home. I know this is a very rough time and that you must love your mom deeply. Just hang in there and know that you are doing the very best that you can do for your mom. It will be a struggle and it will be so hard to see her not feeling well, but time and the health care professionals will rebuild her strength. You being by her side will help her so much. The medical industry has done some very amazing things in recent times to help people going through cancer. They will help her and fight with her to beat this thing! I felt so very helpless when my mom was going through this and I was very paniced. I felt powerless to change the situation and didn't know where to turn when I was so worried for her. I wish that I could say something to help you through this, Clooney, but hang in there. Be with your mom, for both you and her. You are doing a fantastic job for her and she is one lucky lady to have you helping her. If you need to type with someone who understands, please feel free to email me.

Oh, another thing I thought of about her eating that help my mom was to feed her more often. If she can't eat big meals, try and get an ensure down her every couple of hours. Also, see if her doctor can recommend a dietitain (sp). My mom got down to 88 pounds and we were trying to get some nutrients into her every 2 hours.

Hang in there. You and your family will be in my thoughts! You guys can lick this thing!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register