Bladder Cut by accident-Hemoglobin 10 having a pity party | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Cut by accident-Hemoglobin 10 having a pity party Bladder Cut by accident-Hemoglobin 10 having a pity party

Unread 01-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Bladder Cut by accident-Hemoglobin 10 having a pity party

Yep above would describe the way I feel today. I wrote another time and did hear from someone who had their bladder cut by accident as well, and could use some encouragement now.

I had my surgery on January 14, 2005 and really think I would be just great if my bladder wasn't cut! I had my cathader on until Tues, January 25,2005. After he took that off I had severe pain and could barely walk with a really tight leaking bladder. I am finally urinating ok now but am living on Percoset and opium sapositories. I am really scared about the long term effects of the accidental puncture of the back of my bladder. My doctor calls me often to check on me, not sure if he's checking cause he is a really nice doctor, or is really worried about how messed up my bladder. He said my tissue is like mush and thought it might be due to my mixed connective tissue disease. Friends have asked me if I should sue. I don't know if this is common occurance or not. All I want is to be back to normal. The doctor said that it will take atleast 12 weeks to heal. Starting to feel like a cage animal even though DH took me out for great dinner last night which was nice. I guess I just needed to vent and say I am scared and tired of being stuck at home on meds. I was hoping recover in FL with close friends, but now scared to travel with the bladder problems. I go back for a 2nd post opp on Tuesday.

Thanks for letting me vent! Ok trying to end the pity party
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 04:58 PM

Hey That's horrible I hope everything heals well I have irratable bladder syndrome and I just can't imagine my bladder being worse off well now I've heard your story I can't feel so bad for myself Good Luck God Bless I hope everything heals well . Kayline
Unread 01-29-2005, 06:23 PM

My gyn nicked my bladder as well, and he teaches this surgery to other doctors so I don't think it was a lack of skill. I've seen posts from several other ladies that had the same thing happen too. I don't think it's that uncommon.

Mine has gone back to normal although it did take a couple months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 06:52 PM

I have had my bladder "nicked" (according to the surgeon) or "went through" (according to the resident who was assisting).... I can feel your pain. I had a TVT in March 2003 when this happened...I had a catheter for 10 days. I had to learn how to pee all over again, but after a few months, it was fine.

Fast forward to my hyst in July 2004....I guess my bladder got in the docs way because, to make a long story short, I had my cath for 26 days before my bladder would work again on its own (after over a half dozen attempts). That was the worst 26 days I've ever spent. Thank goodness I found this site.....there were a couple of other ladies who were going through the same thing.

It will take time....and those bladder spasms really hurt. Have you been to a urologist...or has your doc consulted with one yet? That might not be a bad idea...there are plenty of meds out there to help with pain and function.

You are just 3 weeks post-op, too...this is major sugery to heal from. The bladder especially take alot of time to heal. You were able to go out to dinner....lucky you! I couldn't go anywhere except the docs office and the ER (3 times) because of my cath for almost 4 weeks.

Take care, sweetie and hang in there. It will get better....I know this is a terrible ordeal w/the bladder. My bladder is back to its normal self....even after 2 surgeries/catheter ordeals. I hope this gives you some encouragement.

I'm sooooo sorry!!!

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:04 PM

JenFm,
I'm sorry to hear you had that misfortune.
Things that 'could' occur during surgery was discussed in a class our medical plan gave us prior to our hysts. That was somehting I was aware could happen. I agree with the HS that said it may not be a lack of skill. My DR mentioned that at times, the way things get so convoluted inside some of us can make it hard for them to make a clean cut. Some of us have incredible amounts of adhesions, or our organs are really squished together, especially those of us that had a bit of weight over what we ough to, often due to all the stress from our female problems!! (I don't mean to offend any one, I was just not sure how to put it gentler...)
Suing is the latest trend in the minds of many when things don't go quite as we expected. Before you go that route, think seriously about what you really want. If it seems it is just relief, then be patient. And trust us, you will get the relief in time.
I too felt like a caged bird recuperating. I'm almost always out early and was constantly peering out my windows until I was able to get out and about.
Please, don't feel guilty about a Pity Party, many of us need, create and actually enjoy them at times!! Then, we tend to feel much better!!
Unread 01-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Thanks Ladies for your replies,

It's always a good reminder that we all bear cross's some the same some different. You give me hope and encouragement that I can heal and get better. I really appreciate the feed back. I wish you all well and am grateful for this sight. I will hold my head up and believe in the best. I am glad to hear that you all healed, but sorry to hear some of your hardships.
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:49 PM

Oh my gosh, you poor thing. I can't even imagine how miserable it must be. I will say many prayers for a speedy and full recovery for you.
Did you not have a urologist present? My doctor had a urologist put in bladder stents so as to move and be able to point out the bladder and the tube that goes from the kidney down to the bladder. I'm very thankful for that, and have been drinking tons and tons of water to flush out any impurities so I don't get an infection.
You will be in my thoughts,
Take Care,
Karen
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:31 PM

I know just how you feel. I had my bladder cut twice~once for my last c-section in `97 and then again for my hyst. in `04~because they couldn't make out where adhesions and uterus ended or started(I guess).Both times I had to keep the catheter for two weeks.Just make sure you drink lots of water to keep yourself flushed. also cranberry juice does it too~it helps keep infections at bay. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Pity Party 2

I had surgery on 12/15. My bladder hole was about 5/8 of an inch - the width of a dress seam - the kind you sew at home. I was supposed to keep the catheter for 2 weeks. Instead, my gyno called a urologist who said to keep it in for 3 weeks to let the stitches heal. For the most part, my bladder hasn't been a problem since it was removed. However, recently I began having spasms and a desire to urinate - but nothing there. So I called the DR because it seemed to me that HE started the issue with his 6 wk internal exam. At that time, he told me I still had stitches that had not dissolved. No sex but I could go back to work (talk about a pity party-I cried the rest of Friday and anytime I wanted to on Saturday.)

Have you seen a urologist? It sounds to me like you've moved beyond the scope of a gyno - I'm not a doctor, here, but if I continue with bladder problems, my gyno is sending me upstairs to the bladder department.

Move gently with yourself - your internals are still pretty cranky. When I was talking yesterday with the gyn and told him I was "irritable, cranky and wanted to cry" - he decided we needed another little visit.

RE: the percocet - don't let yourself hurt. It's not worth it. Try ibuprofen first, is my motto - if it doesn't kick in in about 30 minutes - go for the gusto!

Don't worry about the pity party - it seems to be part of this whole issue.

Sally

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register