lifting a child | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lifting a child lifting a child

Unread 01-30-2005, 12:01 PM
lifting a child

Hi,
I am scheduled for TVH next Wed. I am leaving a very active work out regime and also very active with a 16 month old and 4 year old. My doctor said theoretically...it will take 12 weeks to resume normal exercise to protect sutures. Does this sound normal that I can not lift my younger 21 lb son after the normal 6 week period? I do have assistance for at least that long but realistically can not imagine not performing the normal required lifting for car seats/ high chairs/ cribs..etc.. after 6 weeks. I do have another call into my doctor for more clarification but was wondering from the experienced group if anyone has had surgury with a child in this age range and size. I also will be having my bladder supported with tape due to a uterine prolapse requiring TVH.

Any information will be appreciated

Jaynee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2005, 12:14 PM
lifting a child

Hi Jaynee I've moved your post over here to the Pre-Op forum, which is the place to post questions when you're scheduled for surgery.

I had a TVH and A&P repairs three years ago. For six weeks I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. At that point my DR told me that I should *never* lift anything over 25 pounds if I wanted my repairs to have a chance to hold. I've tried really hard to keep to that restriction... and it's not always easy, but so far, so good.

Talking with your DR to get a clarification is a good idea. Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:14 PM
lifting a child

I will tell you that yes, sometimes there is still alot of healing going on and the surgeons don't want pts. lifting a child. Some women, especially those with repairs, are given a lifetime lifting restriction. It is important that you follow exactly what the doctor tells you!!! You only have one chance to fully recover the right way and you don't want any set-backs in recovery!!!

Now...as far as having a lifting restriction with small kids, been there! I had a 5# lifting restriction put on me when my oldest child was 18 months old and it lasted for the duration of a twin high-risk pregnancy. I paniced, thinking there is NO way my toddler could manage this. We did!!! It is amazing how much a toddler can do for themselves when they have to!!! They can crawl in and out of high-chairs, car seats, beds.....and you can always enlist a friend to go to the store with you to lift them into a basket, or use one of the ones with the bucket seat (Walmart has one with two side by side seats) the kids can just step up and crawl into it!! The four year old will probably be of more assistance than you expect!!! My twins were 4 when I had TAH/BSO and they amazed me!!!

Best of luck in your upcoming surgery and recovery!!! Take your doctors advise!!

's,
Ronda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2005, 07:52 PM
lifting a child

I am having TVH with cystocele repairs in May. I spoke with the nurse at my doc's office last week. She said there would probably be a 5 pound lifting restriction for 2-3 weeks, 10 pounds until the 6-8 week mark, and a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 months or more. I have young children as well, and I wonder how this is going to work, especially with my 16-month old (he's a mama's boy). After the 6 week recovery period, I am really hoping my DD6 is going to be a big help. I know she can. DS3 and DS1 will just have to become more independent. I am ready for this surgery, and I definitely do not want to undo the good things the doc is going to do.
Unread 01-30-2005, 08:43 PM
lifting a child

I appreciate all of your suggestions and replies. I am not the kind of person who takes help very well and I know I will just have to. I like the using of steps and crawling in suggestions. My 16 month old is a late walker and not very stable yet so crawling up and into places will be a challenge but I probably will be surprised at what he can do. Wendy, both of mine are momma's boys and a lot of this is really mental for me. Since my TVH is going to provide me a better quality of life and eventually will be needed...I am not sure I should not just wait another year. My preference is to get it over now and enjoy my family and kids even better. Thanks again for all of support.

Jaynee
Unread 01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
lifting a child

My situation was similar when my oldest was 2, and I had a c-section with the younger one, and couldn't lift anything heavier than the baby, so it was tough going.

A woman at the grocery showed me how to lift the back part of a grocery cart like a gate so that my son could crawl into it instead of having him walk all through the store.

I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to just hold him like I wanted, but I found that if I sat down on the couch, he could crawl up beside me and cuddle awhile.

Kids are amazing and resilient, and you will be amazed at what they are capable of, and willing to do to help Mommy!

Best wishes,

Angie
Unread 01-30-2005, 11:48 PM
lifting a child

I am really concerned about the same issue. The nurse I spoke with said it could be anywhere between 2 weeks and 3 months before I could lift my children. I have a 10 month old and a 2 year old, so that is really concerning. I am going to ask my doc more specifically when I see him on Wed. I worry about my 2 year old jumping on me or something(has happened before. During a play time session, she jumped on my neck causing a major bleed with a trip to the "castle" and four days of infusions after. She is quite strong and agile for her age). My 10 month old is not walking yet, although I pray he will be walking well by my surgery. My DH is going to take off as much time as possible, looks like about a week right now, so I will have some help in the beginning. I know it is for the best, but I kinda feel robbed. I wanted more children, and this is taking away so much precious time I have to hold the two I have while they are still little. Just my thoughts. I am sure I will get through it as will you. Somehow, things just work out. Best wishes.
Unread 01-31-2005, 07:33 AM
lifting a child

I felt the same way. I quit working just for that reason last August. They grow so fast in just a short time I want to cherish and hold them as much as possible. It's comforting to hear from you all. Let's all just pray for the best. I am sure this will be in the past soon.

Jaynee
Unread 01-31-2005, 08:09 AM
lifting a child

Well, you can still HOLD them -- you just can't lift them or carry them around.

I just now started carrying my 4-year-old any distance -- he weighs in at 42 pounds. And he never stops moving from the moment he gets up in the a.m. to when he goes to bed at night! His calf muscles are like steel.

It's amazing how quickly they learn that they can't jump on mommy. And you can do alot with them crawling into bed (or onto the couch) and snuggling under a blanket.

One of the best things my dh did before my castle stay was to move the DVD player from our bedroom to the TV in the living room (which was my recovery space). That way our ds and I could watch movies together.
Unread 01-31-2005, 12:49 PM
lifting a child

Oh my, i never realised there could be a total lifting ban forever! My youngest is 9 months and my VH and repairs is on 11th Feb. She doesnt even crawl yet, I will have to lift her when my band of merry helpers disbands after about 6 weeks!
Alison

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register