Driving? How soon post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving? How soon post op? Driving? How soon post op?

Unread 01-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Driving? How soon post op?

Hello all!

Is there a "rule of thumb" for how long to wait post-op before driving?

I'm 11 days post op and no longer needing percocet. Ibuprofin and acetominophen are doing the job nicely for the general aches and pains.

Anyway, I'm going in tomorrow morning to have my staples removed and am thinking of driving myself. I feel as though I'm healing well, I'm getting around easily, no sudden sharp pains, bleeding continues to decrease. The hospital is about 15 minutes from my house, so it wouldn't be a long trip.

Do you think it's safe for me to drive myself (with my tummy pillow in place) or should I get a ride?

Thanks,
Meri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2005, 05:12 PM

I got a ride to get my staples removed. Glad I did.

I felt every crack, pot hole, speed bump and dip in the road on the way there and on the way back. Never said ouch so many times in my life!

In addition, you use your abs a lot in raising your leg when you press the gas and brake. I found twisting to reverse and check my blind spot painful at times too.

This is all at four weeks post op. I waited a long time before I felt comfortable enough to go on a short trip.

Call your doc to get his opinion, but in my opinion, I would get a ride in.

Good luck,

Sarah
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi,

Usually most doctors recommend not driving for two weeks after surgery. You need to check with your own doctor about what your restrictions are.

A good rule of thumb is that you can drive when you've been off of all narcotic pain meds for 48 hours, can turn your body at a 90 degree angle to look behind you, and can stomp on the brake hard without pain or flinching.

I think your best bet would probably be to get a ride to your appointment. Even riding isn't comfortable for awhile, and driving yourself might be a bit too much.

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Yes, I would definately call you doc on this one. Some docs say 2 weeks, some say 6.....it depends on alot of factors. My doc said 4- 6 weeks. It ended up being about 6....and that was just a trip 1/2 to the Taco Bell drive-thru. It takes alot of time for the pain meds and anethesia to get out of my body....so I was in no way ready to drive.

You wouldn't want to drive too soon....have to slam on the brakes real quick (or worse, have an accident)....and rip your stitches. You never know what is going to happen at the next intersection....

take care!
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:53 PM

My dr. said no driving for 2 weeks or longer. he said once I could stomp on the brake without hurting myself I could drive, but not before 2 weeks.That was with my TAH in May.
With my posterior repair I just had my dr. just told me the same thing. I did sneak up to the store today, but probably I shouldn't have. Doctor's have their reasons for our restrictions.

Peggy
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:04 PM

I was told by my Dr.'s office that I could drive once I was off the pain meds (TAH) and that was one week post-op. I drove everyday beginning around the eighth day and never had a problem. However, I only drove locally, on side streets, took it very slow and never stayed out for more than an hour. So....just another point of view. Getting out in the real world for an hour a day kept me sane and I never felt my health (or others') was threatened.
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Hi Meri,

I wouldn't drive if I were you. You had a TAH and I'm sure it's a much bigger incision that what I had (LSH). I tried driving after a week and was so sorry I did. Every bump hurt like heck. I'm driving now, I'll be 3 weeks post op Wednesday and what a difference each day makes. I can drive now with a little discomfort looking behind me but not pain like I felt at 1 week 2 days when I tried driving. You know your body better than anyone. I would take someone with you or go for a ride around the block and see if you're up to it alone.

Good luck!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register