Blood count/hemoglobin question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood count/hemoglobin question Blood count/hemoglobin question

Unread 01-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Blood count/hemoglobin question

Dear sisters,
Does anyone know if it is dangerous to have surgery when your hemoglobin count is 7? I know anything under 12 is low. Would that make transfusions a must?
My pre-op count was 9.5 and down to 7 when I had my surgery. I had no idea. I also had a high white count.
The things you find out from reading the hospital reports.

thanks, Allyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:30 PM

Hi there,

Well, this is what I was told when I was in the hospital, as they were pretty close to transfusing me as well. I am not sure what my pre op was, but they said post op I was very low. The hospital where I stayed said they transfuse at 7. I was at 8 just post op. They told me a "good normal" is about 12. After a couple weeks of rest and iron (and more raisens than I care to talk about).... I was up to a 12.2.

So they did not say anything to you in the hospital? You just picked that up from your report post op? Wow, I would think they would have said something.

I am also told different doctors and hospitals will transfuse at different results. One MD there likes to transfuse at 8. I am way glad I had the doctor I did. Just one more thing I'd be worrying about now... with a transfusion. I get worked up about the little things.

Anyhow.... I am not sure that helped you or not. Just wanted to let you know what they told me.

Andi
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:55 PM

My blood count was 5.5 at my first visit to my gyn.My dr. said I wouldn't survive surgery with such a low count unless I was transfused first. I was transfused 3 units a couple days later. It was 9.7 right before going into the OR for my TAH in May. After surgery it had dropped to 6 something. I was not transfused though. I think mainly because I had a terrible reaction to my pre op transfusion which landed me in the ER for 9 hours, before I was able to receive the blood. My gyn didn't want to take chances on that happening again. I was given high doses of Chromagen for the next several weeks. My count was up to 11.7 at 5 weeks post op. My new energy had me bouncing off of the walls.
I had GB surgery in Sept. and my blood level was 12.3. Last week I had posterior repair and enterocele repair. It was 13.8 before going into surgery. I don't know if it dropped after that or not. This is the best energy wise I have felt since I was a kid!!
My hyst has turned me into a new healthy person.I would go through all of this again if I had to!!

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 10:24 PM

Hi Allyson - Yes, a 7 is pretty low for surgery, but there's no hard and fast rule - I guess you and I are proof of that. My understanding is that *usually* a minimum of 10 hgb is the target for surgery, and that 12 or above is considered optimal. Of course that is subject to what is happening, and your own Doctor. I know Doctors will try to avoid it if at all possible.

I hope you've been able to get your count up since then and you're feeling better. Mine was 5.7, day of surgery, an emergency that coincided wtih my surgery date, thank goodness - it was 12.9 four days before that, at the pre-op (too long, TMI for this post). I recently had it checked and it's now 15.2. No more iron supplements, needless to say!

I also found a few surprises on my hospital report, so I'd encourage everyone to get a copy of theirs. It's a good thing to have for your own records and peace of mind.

joano
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:58 AM

Hi there,
After my first minor op to remove the tumour my bloods were 9.

After my hyster 2 weeks later my bloods were 6, I was transfused with two units two days after surgery.

My doc says that they would have only gone up to about 8 after the transfusion if I was eating right (which I havent been - no appetite) and thats without suppliments.

I am booking in with my gp to have my bloods tested and to get on with managing the anemia which seems to be my biggest post op issue.
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Hi sisters,

Thanks for the responses. I know I can always count on you!

Andi--
No they didn't say anything to me in the hospital. I had lots of complications and never got a straight answer from my doctor or the nurses why I was transfused. I got two units in surgery and another two later in the week. This is just one of the reasons why I got my hospital records. Now I know my hemoglobin level dropped to 6.2 after the surgery. I was very disappointed in my surgeon's treatment and this just makes me wonder about his care even more.

Joano--
Yes my levels are back to normal. I was tested just before Christmas because of the new staph infection I'm fighting. My blood levels were a-ok. Thank goodness for that because they never told me I was anemic and never gave me any instructions on what to do. I've just been taking multivitamins and fortunately my energy level is good.

Hope everyone is feeling well,

Allyson

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register