Poochy tummy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Poochy tummy

I am new to this board and have been reading about swelly bellies ... I am nearly 4 weeks post op and have had a relatively routine recovery ... almost speedy I would say. In fact, I was out in my garden weeding 10 days postop. But here is the thing. I used to have a flat tummy. Now I have this "pooch" above my incision. I am convinced it is something I have done to cause this ... have I over done it with gardening? Am I doomed to have this pooch forever? Will I need a tummy tuck? Please ... any advice is appreciated ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Poochy tummy

Hi and

The pooch you refer to is what I call a "shelf". It is fluid build up caused by the surgery. I already had a belly. Fluffy as we call it here on the boards. But it is bigger now due to the surgery. It is pretty normal to have this swelling, I have been told. Just another side-effect as we recover.

You don't mention what kind of hysterectomy you had. If you could fill out your profile with some details, we would know more about you and what you had done.

I had a TAH almost 10 weeks ago and I can tell you I WOULD NOT have been gardening 10 days post op. No way.

I was told, like many sisters here, that we are not to pull, push, twist, lift, bend, stretch or reach for 6-8 weeks. You can do yourself some serious damage if you don't adhere to these rules. No vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, mopping, sweeping, laundry, etc. I would think that some of those things mentioned would go under the catagory of gardening.

Please make sure you rest and take care of yourself. This is MAJOR surgery you have had.

In land, gardening is not pampering....

Take care...

Sarah
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
poochy tummy

Hi Sarah,
Thank you for your post. OK ... so I didn't realize about the princess thing. I had a supracervical abdomenal hysterectiomy for huge fibroids, severe anemia and (as they found by biopsy) adenomyosis. The thing is, I feel good. Except for this heavy, tight feeling in my abdomen (and the pooch). I have let that be my guide as far as activivy goes. I am an outdoors type person and it drives me crazy to be inside so, thus, the gardening activity(I live in the SW).
It is helpful to know there is a name for what I have. But when will it go away? Will I ever have the tummy I used to have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Poochy tummy

Hi Sarah,

While I didn't have the same surgery as you(I had a LSH) I do remember from my C-Sections having the same thing. Not sure if this relates, but the shelf thing went away at about 6 weeks post op. It did return however if I extended myself too much. Maybe the gardening can wait a bit and you can just sit and enjoy it. I know there is that weed staring at you, but just walk away! LOL.

Sirap
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Poochy tummy

Ok ... so I shouldn't be gardening at all??? When can I start up again?
Unread 01-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Poochy tummy

Did your Doctor give you any guidelines about exercise? Gardening can be almost as strenous, squating, bending, ect. Might want to check with DR and see what she/he says.

good luck
Sirap
Unread 01-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Poochy tummy

Seems my post didn't "take". so here I go again...

I am 9 weeks post-op, not overweight, and I HATE my pouch! I think part of it is swelling and part of it is scar tissue and out-of-condition muscles. Doc says I can start doing abdominal exercises in about three months and it should go away. I sure hope she's right! The only "formal" exercise I do now is walk, and I only do as much physically as I feel comfortable with. I was hoping to have a flat tummy by now--considering the size of my pre-hyst uterus, I figured anything would be an improvement. I guess I expected too much. But we have to hold onto the thought that this, too, shall pass...!!!
Unread 02-01-2005, 07:55 AM
poochy tummy

I guess I did not get as strict of guidelines as most of you did. I was simply told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. In the reading I did they seemed to emphasize no vigorous or high impact exercise. At my 2 week check I did ask my MD if light gardening was ok and she said yes. I've been listening to my body and when I get tired or my tummy feels too heavy, I stop.
I have noticed that I do get poochier if I over do. How would I know if I've caused myself any damage by being too active? Now I am worried.
Ann
Unread 02-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Poochy tummy

Ann,

Call your dr if you think anything is wrong. I also got few "do not do's" and have been up doing a lot, no gardening, though as my yard is buried under 3 feet of snow!

Listen to your body but really try not to do any strenuous weed pulling or heavy lifting. Those things will need to wait a while.

I hate sitting still so my dog has been very helpful in taking me out for walks and cuddling when I need to rest. Find something to make this down time more bearable.

Jennifer
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Poochy tummy

The poochy belly is depressing me.....doc said I had 7 fibroids and one was as big as my uterus....so I thought that my tummy would be smaller after surgery....but it is the same only now I can't even suck it in.
I told my boyfriend last night that I am going to go buy maternity clothes and pretend to be pregnant until my belly goes away
Patience is not a virtue I possess

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register