teacher going back to work at 7 wks. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

teacher going back to work at 7 wks. teacher going back to work at 7 wks.

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:29 PM
teacher going back to work at 7 wks.

Hi all,

Tomorrow will be my 7 wk anniversary, and I head back to work. I am starting with half days at first. I am a teacher, and my principal has been very supportive. My problem is my students have run my sub into the ground and trashed my classroom! I was sick to my stomach when I saw it. I feel like I have to go into terminator mode to get them back where I had them in early December. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you handle it? I don't want to overdo on these first days back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:41 PM

Well, while I am not a teacher, I do work in a middle school. I start back tomorrow. I am ok about going. I work in the nurses office and am a health room assistant. I have had pretty good coverage while I was gone, so I can't complain. I stopped in a couple of times and said HI and the kids can't wait for me to be back. One girl yelled "4 more days till you are back"!! She was thrilled. hehehe.

I know I have a boat load of paperwork and desk work that is going to keep me chained to my desk for a LONG time. I have been gone since the middle of December and with my job, that is too long to let it all go.

I had great support from the other staff members when I left. I hope it will continue till I "get my feet wet" again. NOT looking forward to the sick ones. There is SO much going around right now. I just can't see myself getting sick right now. I really hope that flu shot I had will still be working when I get back.

Good Luck with work. Just take it one day at a time when you get there!
Unread 02-01-2005, 05:28 AM
returning to classroom

Hi Kelley, I just saw your post about going back to work. I am a K-1 teacher and have taught 3/4 as well. I had a TAH two weeks ago and plan to go back after winter break. I can really relate to your problem because having a sub for that long, even a good one, will make you feel like you're starting from scratch again. I think you should do 3 things: Talk to your kids about a plan for getting the class back in order - you may need to spend a couple days doing this, but even little ones can take responsibility for this. Take a friend with you when classes are not in session, and do things the kids can't do to restore things back to normal but do no overdue it please!! Mostly the kids just need you there to be their teacher again and will love having you back. Lean on others to help. Second, talk to your principal about the problem, and see how whe can help. She might even come in to talk to the kids about the committment to all work together as a community. Third, Focus mentally and spiritually on your own health and peace as you return. Be good to yourself and realize that the most precious thing you are doing is investing in your student's lives- Living with some disorder is ok and sometimes even good for you!! I hope your return goes well and that you are able to take it a day at a time. God bless you, Annah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 09:43 AM

Thanks, beautsbelle and Annah!

I had a nice talk with the teacher who's been covering for me. Nice guy, just overly soft on management and discipline. Annah, thank you for talking me down. Sometimes in this profession we feel like we have to do everything right or the kids will fail. I know I can bring them back. I felt okay leaving because these were the nicest, sweetest group of kids I've had in years if ever. My first talk with them is scheduled for this afternoon. I plan to wear my "princess" crown and inject a little humor into the situation as well. I also appreciate the reminder that I can get help. I will ask a friend or two in the building to give me a hand with the "renovation".

It's so nice to have you all to talk to! God bless you and this site!
Unread 02-01-2005, 09:47 AM

One more thing...
beautsbelle, I will be praying for a healthy return to work for you as well. Stay away from the sick ones, and don't forget to take care of yourself.
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:19 AM

I am also a teacher. I went back four weeks after my LAVH. I teach high school and the new semester was beginning, so I jumped right in. I won't deny that it has been tiring. I don't think I've ever been this run-down in my life.

I just do as much as I can at school, and let unimportant things slide as much as possible. If it takes a little longer than usual to grade work, so what. Lunch duty? Get someone else to cover it. I wash my hands constantly, because I don't want to pick up the "germ du jour" and I basically live for the weekend so that I can rest up for the next week!

Summer is only four months away! ;-)
Unread 02-01-2005, 02:12 PM

I too teach. Middle school Deaf Special Needs kids. I have had a good sub while I have been out. She can't sign so basically my teacher's aide has been teaching and the sub has been the aide. I understand she has been getting everything graded and in the book ....better than I did when I was there....lol.
She did thank me on having everything ready to go for 6 weeks ....I even had it run off and ready to go in little packets. I suffer Bipolar disorder as well so I guess I was having a manic moment during that time.
I want to go back to work but at the same time I don't . I still don;t think clearly. I can't remember things from day to day. That scares me. And well the emotions ......lol ....you can all relate.
I had to go back to the doctor yesterday ....I tore an internal stitch open and was having severe burning pain in my side and leg as well as spotting blood. Apparently I have been doing too much.....But I just think I feel better than I actually am. I hate to be dependant on others.......I mean sure being pampered for a while was great.....now I just feel like I am a burdern to my family.
I am sure that feeling will pass as well.
Jenn
surgery 1-18-05 due to severe pain in side, horrible cramps, migraines, and apparently endometerious(sp?) :confuse:
Unread 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Hi all you teachers!!!

I teach second grade and I'll be going back 1/2 days on Feb. 7th.
(What grade do you teach 3daniels?)

I've actually had two subs because I thought I was having a LAVH, which turned into a TAH/BSO, and the original sub was leaving for Australia, so a new one came on. However, this person is a retired teacher with 25+ years experience. She is a good friend and agreed to do the job just for me! I knew I wouldn't have to worry about their behaviors with her at the helm. I've been back for two teacher inservice 1/2 days and I can tell I'll need to spend some "quality" time in my room. I left the day before our Christmas break, so all the furniture got moved and then moved back without me. It looks OK and I've decided that regardless of who they're sitting by, I won't move the desks right when I get back.

Isn't it interesting how this time off of forced rest can make a person really evaluate their lifestyle? I know that I stress WAY too much about school and it's usually the red tape and politics, not the kids that get me going. I am determined to go back and try to take a more relaxed attitude about the whole thing.

So my advice to you is to pretend it's the first days of school all over again. Remember all the time you put into building your community and getting those behaviors all in line? Do it again. Start from square one. If the kids need to do some major cleaning, make them do it. If they owe the sub apology letters, have them write them. Give yourself permission NOT to come back up to speed. Take your time, make them WORK, WORK, WORK and praise the good stuff. And if you can, every once in a while, take an afternoon off! Mental health is a sick day isn't it?

Virginia
Unread 02-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Virginia - I can relate to your furniture moving story. I came back after Christmas break to find all of my desks facing in the opposite direction of where I had them. All I could do was tell the kids, "I'm not sure that I like this arrangement, but since I just had surgery it looks like it's staying this way for a while!"

Pam
Unread 02-01-2005, 08:08 PM

I too am a teacher, elem music. I was planning on teaching full days beginning Feb. 7 but now I'm feeling like 1/2 days are all I can handle the first week back. Thankfully my principal is fine with that. He wants me back but told me my health and recovery come first. My substitute is doing okay. I know classroom management has gone fine but curriculum has suffered. My mind just swims when I think about all the stuff I have to do. It's causing me some anxiety. I'm experiencing consistent pain on my right side which does get worse as the day progresses. I've needed to use tylenol and ibuprofen esp. at night in order to get a good night's sleep. My Ob/gyn told me the pain was probably because that's where he "knotted off", whatever that means.

Does anyone feel like the "bottom is falling out" physically by the end of the day? Everything is achy with some burning sensations. I'm really hoping I can handle heading back to the classroom next week. I see my reg. MD Thursday. He told me I would not be heading back until he gave me the okay. My surgeon gave me the okay at 4 weeks. I think he must not like women very much (just joking) but in all honesty, I think that was WAY TOO SOON. I don't think he "gets" what goes on in an elementary classroom every day. He's been very difficult to communicate with and I don't trust him as I do my reg. MD.

Cross your fingers and say a prayer for me that I can handle it because I am really anxious about having the stamina and endurance to do it, not to mention entering the "germ jungle". My colleagues have told me that it's just nuts: influenza, strep throats, etc. We should all be given space suit protection until we're back on our feet.

Songtch
SAH, 12/23/04, kept ovaries, removal of huge fibroid

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register