Uterine Anomalies - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine Anomalies Uterine Anomalies

Unread 01-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Uterine Anomalies

Hi Kia,

In the U.S. we can obtain our medical records just by signing for them at the hospital; sometimes there is a fee. I don't know how it works in the U.K. ~ Maybe the Medical Records Department at your hospital could point you in the right direction.

s
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Uterine Anomalies

Well, I'm going to give them the nicely to start approach.
I'm printing off *everything* I can find out (to back up my queries) and I'm going to include a return addressed stamped envelope even and say I expect to hear back within 28 days.

I know they had to stop the surgury at one point because I went "into distress" and had to be stabilised.

It's the secrecy that gets to me, and not knowing. I mean I'm the kinda girl who goes to my doctor and if he prescribes say anti-biotics I want to know what they are and why he's giving me them...
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Uterine Anomalies

I don't mean to be pessimistic but don't be disappointed if the surgical notes/pathology reports don't shed any light on just what type of anomaly you had. Don't be surprised if they don't mention it AT ALL!
I had a double uterus/cervix/vagina. I even had 2 pregnancies in the left uterus and one in the right. I delivered all 3 children vaginally. I had a tubal at 22, surgery to excise the vaginal septum at 26 and my 1st laparoscopy for endometriosis at 28. I sought out a new doc shortly after the lap because my previous doc wasn't taking my pain and bleeding seriously and didn't seem to know what the heck was going on. I was shocked when the new doc told me that I only had one cervix! We requested my records from all of my previous gyn's and were amazed at what was not noted, what was missing and what information was just plain left out. Some doctors noted that I have Uterus Didelphys, some noted Bicornuate Uterus, only one made mention of the vaginal septum and the one that I saw for 7 years and through two pregnancies noted the double uterus but nowhere in his records does it mention the double cervix and all my pap smear AFTER the septum surgery are missing! It's unbelievable. We believe that this doctor may have removed a cervix when he excised the septum but we have no proof anywhere! All of my pain and troubles started within a couple of months of that surgery. I got a copy of the surgical notes and pathology report from my hyst to see if one uterus was indeed closed off but it doesn't indicate and my doctor still can't be sure that that's what happened...
I hope your records will shed some light for you. I believe you have every right to know everything you possible can about your own body. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Uterine Anomalies

omg I'm sorry you had to go through that. Isn't it unbelievable that these "professionals" can get away with such lack of attention to detail? And to not note everything - else how will future doctors know what was done and how best to help you?
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Uterine Anomalies

It certainly hasn't made things easy. It's still so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that the doctor's can be so inconsistent. Sometimes I wish there was a way to go back in time and tell that 18 year old girl what I know now. Tell her to educate herself, ask more questions and not be afraid to question the doctors or ask for second opinions. I waited WAY too long to do that and when I did it was too late. The cervix(es) had already been altered and there was no way to confirm or deny what he had done. I'm sure that whatever he did didn't cause all of my problems. I do have endo, ovarian cysts and pelvic adhesions and did have Adenomyosis and fibroids but I often wonder if he did block one uterus if it could have triggered the problems or made them worse.
Oh well, what's done is done. I can't change it so I just take it one day at a time. Anyway, my point is don't be afraid to press your doctor for any and all information he can give you. What type of uterine anomaly you had may not seem important to them but could turn out to be very important somewhere down the line.
Stay strong and stand your ground.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register