How are you: 3 wks post TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you: 3 wks post TAH? How are you: 3 wks post TAH?

Unread 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
How are you: 3 wks post TAH?

I posted this on another thread, but now am curious about other 3 wk TAH-ers. How are you doing? Here's my list:

Feeling pretty good with some tummy pulls and pinches and swelling.

Taking Motrin to help reduce swelling.

I get around a lot more now.

Can't sit for too long, but getting better.

Still eating prunes and taking stool softners.

Still wearing steri-tapes.

I don't wear "real" clothes unless I am going out. (Not going out much.)

Not driving yet since I don't really need to.

Have set my Nordic track on level with no resistance and get on for a few minutes at a time. Otherwise, I walk.

Have lost 10 lbs since the surgery. Seem to desire healthy food without making an effort.

Drinking LOTS of water.

Kept ovaries and so far they seem to be "awake."

Started my progesterone cream again.

Have plenty to do working at home from my laptop.

Saw the doc at 2 wks and will go again at 6 wks.

DH is still patient and caring with all of this.

I am so looking forward to feeling fully recovered. Learning to be patient and happy with baby steps in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 08:36 AM

I had my TAH the same day as yours, with my left ovary removed. I feel much better now than I did a couple of weeks ago.
I still feel some pressure when I am urinating but there has been improvement.
If I sit for too long I feel stiff in my abdomen area and walk kind of funny. Other than that I am getting around much better.
Drive only when I need to.
The ugliest problem I still have is terrible constipation. Resorted to taking this nasty Fleet laxative drink this morning and am finally going. This was after stool softeners, suppositories and Citrucel did absolutely nothing. Hoping to get back into the flow again so to speak.

Eleanor
Unread 02-01-2005, 09:50 AM

Hi,

SAH on 1/11/2005.

Getting around OK. Kind of low but doing more each day.

Dull ache and a little nauseous. Can't tell if it's bladder or the "stump".

Bowels are still loose so I'm lucky there.

Incision itched and Vitamin E cream was inexpensive and effective.

Often freezing with cold hands and feet. Body temperature below 97 degrees. DR has agreed to test thyroid (TSH). Also slightly dry eyes and some pressure around the heart, but not the heart. These are also symptoms of hypothyroid. I may research on the internet but do rely on DR for diagnosis!

This website is a touchstone for me!

Greetings to other 3 week sisters.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 10:14 AM
3 wks post TAH

My TAH was on 1/11. I have gone through alot. Ended up staying in the hospital a bit longer than expected. On 1/18 went to have the staples removed but the wound opened up. Dr had to "pack" the wound and sent me home. I had to return the next day to see how the wound was doing,. Dr. went ahead and stitched me up the next day. It has been very painful. I think I felt worse than after surgery. Just when I was getting better, I had to take a step backwards. I was scheduled to have the stitches taken out on 1/31, but another setback. I have to have them for 5 more days !!! So I am back on antibiotics and pain killers !! I hope that when all is said and done, I will feel as good as new !!! Even after all this has happened, I really do not regret or feel negative about the surgery. I think the hardest part is when people do not understand the pains and struggles we go through with this surgery. It bothers me when others think that this surgery is as easy as 1,2,3. I wish everyone a grewat recovery !!
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:11 AM

TAH LSO 1/10/05

I am feeling really good.... still a couple of pains but I slept for a little bit on my right side for the first time last night!!! YAY!!! lol, for 3 weeks I have been sleeping on my left side because my right side would just burn!!!! very frustrating....

Everything is going very smoothly... insicion is great, done being itchy now... after spending an hour on this site yesterday I went out and bought some control top panties and WOW.. sure wish I would have figured this out earlier...

I havent even stepped on a scale.... I have my appitite and sweet tooth back so I am anxious to get excersizinging again.

dh doesnt help out alot... but I am not going to over do it and hurt myself

I am taking 1.25 premarin and so far so good!! no hot flashes and I am sleeping great at night.

Good Luck and stay healthy!!!!
Unread 02-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the input. We are all doing pretty well considering!

By the way, I put on some of those control panties that others have written about...

WooHoo.. I felt good.. looked good too!
Unread 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM
3 weeks out

HI

My surgery was on the 12th as well. I am doing pretty well. Dropped down on my pain meds. Getting emotional even though i am on the estradial patch. I cry at commercials Everyone keeps telling me to take my time - so I am trying. I never knew how hard it is to do nothing.

Glad to see we are all doing so well.

Jomarkhail
TAH oophectomy 1-12-05
Unread 02-02-2005, 11:29 PM
3 weeks out

I had TVH/BSO on Jan 13th. All in all, I am feeling pretty good!

Can't stay in any one position for any length of time or I get stiff and uncomfortable. So... I sit on the couch, walk a little, lay down and nap, walk some more, sit in a chair, etc.

Still can't sleep on my side, I am desperatly awating that!!! I have to sleep on my back and wake up in the exact same position so I feel about 100 years old until I can get up and moving to get rid of the stiffness!

Only occasionally taking anything stronger than Motrin.

My only complaint thus far is having the urge to urinate very frequently. I guess my body is still adjusting.

No hot flashes or moodiness yet (knock on wood)!!!!!
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:25 AM

I had a SAH/LSO on 1/14 and feel pretty good too. I saw my DR yesterday and he said I look great. I lost 7lbs since surgery, was hoping for more but did make a couple of trips to TURKEY HILL (ice cream) during my time on the couch. I too still have the pressure with urination but DR tells me this is normal and time will heal all. (You can tell my DR is a MAN). I am driving and I'm ok , just no parallel parking I did ask the DR when I could vacuum again since my teenager is doing it and seems to run the vacuum over the same spot only. I know my sisters are reading this screaming NO DON"T ANSWER THAT. He told me to look away and give it another week. I am keeping my sense of humor, seems to help. I find if I get a good night sleep the next day is a better one. I am taking a sleeping pill and Dr cut down to 1/2. Took me longer to fall asleep, but I do feel better. Spring is eternal, at least that what they tell me.time:

Denise:
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:45 AM

TAH/BSO 1/14

The insomnia is the worst for me. I also get anxiety attacks during the hours I am laying awake at night.

No hot flashes yet, and no hrt so far.

I seem to get nauseous every time I have a BM. Green is not my color.

I nap infrequently as I am trying to make myself more sleepy for bedtime.

I am back to cooking great meals for my family. Unfortunately I am eating like a :snort: . Wish I could exercise to burn off the calories.

I have no real discharge and am wondering if anyone else is like that too. Most ladies seem to have a lot of discharge isues.

I went to my son's music recital at school yesterday. I had to wear stretchy pants as my real pants put too much pressure on my swelly belly and cause a lot of discomfort. I don't think anyone there knew I had just had surgery. I look fine, but feel tired and stiff.

I hope everyone has a happy day today!

Jennifer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register