How are you: 3 wks post TAH? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are you: 3 wks post TAH? How are you: 3 wks post TAH?

Unread 02-04-2005, 06:07 AM
3 weeks today

Hi Linda,

It's encouraging to hear how great you're doing. I too am feeling pretty good. I am up and around and have been since the day of my surgery. I was such a nervous wreck going into the operation that I had all this adrenalin working for (or against) me. I was up and around right away and I know that's helped me in terms of the pain diminishing quickly.

My concern at this point is the patch. I'm using the Vivelle Dot 0.1 and I just feel lousy on it. I felt better the first week post-op than I do now! For some reason the patch makes me feel a little lightheaded ... are you experiencing anything like that? My doctor is switching me to the Climara, and I'm just praying that works. I teach school and I'm scheduled to go back to work in 3 weeks - I really need to sort out these hormones before that!

The other thing is that I'm having trouble sleeping...but again that could be anxiety. I wish that I could just relax. I'm also getting out and walking each day (although I live in northwestern CT where the ground is snowcovered)

Any tips for relaxing and feeling good would be appreciated!

Susy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2005, 06:26 AM
How are you: 3 wks post TAH?

It has been not quite 3 weeks for me (1/18) but I am doing really well. The two week point seemed to be a turning point...I suddenly felt much better. I'm still taking it kind of easy, no bending, lifting, reaching, etc. but other than that my routine is pretty much back to normal. My incision feels fine except if I sneeze and I can sleep in any position I want. I actually woke up this morning and found I was sleeping on my stomach! That felt kind of weird...I definitely wouldn't have done that on purpose yet.

I still have a little swelly belly but it has definitely diminished from a week ago. My staples came out on the 27th. The only lingering problem I have is the anemia...I lost 1300 cc's of blood during surgery. I still look pale and get a little lightheaded sometimes if I move too quickly. And I am having some issues with not being able to sleep at night, which I don't understand. I guess my body is just adjusting.

I am really surprised that I feel this great 2 1/2 weeks out. I had 2 c-sections that I recovered from quickly as well, but I felt so much worse the first week after the TAH that I didn't think I would bounce back that easily. I know my body is still healing and I am definitely listening to the doctor and not doing anything I shouldn't, but I am lucky to be doing so well.
Unread 02-04-2005, 08:16 AM

I'll be three weeks on Sunday.I'm feeling pretty good. still a little stiff if I'm in one position for too long but even that is getting better. My steri strips are starting to come off, they REALLY glued those little buggers on! I can get up and down easily and am starting to sleep on my left side, the right one is still a little uncomfortable. I'm going out to lunch today with a friend and we're going to do a little shopping too! Yeah!!!! I'm starting to do a little more housework that I haven't been able to do in months...like pick clothes up from the floor! It feels good to be able to do stuff again. I haven't driven yet cause I haven't needed to. Haven't had to cook either since we still have meals coming in. Next week they stop and I'm back to cooking for the army :-). I haven't had anything for pain except the occasional motrin since about three days of coming home. Swelly belly is still there but I can at least see my incision now. Wearing elastic waist pants (cause that's all I have right now) but hopefully I'll keep on loosing weight and can do some clothes shopping soon! I've got 30 lbs I'd love to get rid of and dh has promised me a major shopping trip if I loose it all! He'll even go with me with no grumbling! Just waiting on the ok to exercise. I go back on the 21st and hope to be released for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2005, 11:50 AM

Glad to read about someone who is also doing well. I am up to walking about 1 1/2 miles and will go to 2 miles next week (and stay there). I still have a little pooch over my incision but am wearing my regular clothes. My incision does get a little tender and I do have little pains now and then but have not taken anything but an occasional Motrin for about the last two weeks. I am having trouble with constipation and a recocyle (I think that is how it is spelled) but overall I feel lucky and very happy.
I did overdo the other day with too much walking and got a little lightheaded and nauseous but as soon as I rested it passed and I learned my lesson.
Good luck to all.
Unread 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Suzy

Hey there, well the Climara patch so far has been working. And by that I mean that I have not had any symptoms. When I put the patch on, I press firmly on it for about 10 seconds. I then take the blow dryer and blow hot air over it. This has helped it stick. It sticks so good this way that on the 7th day, it's almost hard to get off. But this way I know it is secured. I usually take my shower, dry off really good, then take alcohol and clean the area again where I am going to put the patch. This works great. I have not had any allergic problems with the tape either. I hope it works for you. Man I do miss the snow. It is 82 degrees here. I used to live in Woonsocket Rhode Island and I know it snowed there. I can relate to the anxiety of pre-surgery. For relaxation I usually take my walk, come home read a book and then go to bed. I am a night person so I like to sleep during the day. I also found that when I put a heating bag on my neck and drink some hot cocoa or hot Chai tea that also helps me to sleep. I find that if I am busy during the day time hours that come night I have no problem sleeping. Hope all is well. Take care Linda
Unread 02-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Linda

Hey Linda,

Thanks so much for the encouraging advice. I switched over from Vivelle to Climara just yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I really want it to work! I think that my anxiety has really interfered with my recovery. I'm going to try to calm myself down and get out for a long walk today. Although the ground is still snow-covered, the sun is shining and it's about 40 degrees! A heat wave for us!

Enjoy your day, and feel well,

Sue
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:34 AM

It is 3 weeks for me too

I had to have a catheter bag until a week ago. I was OK to start with but the swelly belly started to give me sensations which were keeping me awake at night.

I noticed why I was having problems, I was wearing knickers on the first night with a pad in case of any accident, but not worn any since.

These are regular 'big knickers' rather than a thong or anything that is remotely erotic.

I went out again last night and wore some knickers and I felt better again, so will be wearing some form of knicker support day and night for the foreseeable future.

I am wearing support stockings on my calves to keep the blood flowing from my feet, but no-one told me to wear knickers to support the swelly belly.

My bowels were in a terrible state when I came home from hospital as I was on ibuprofen and co-codamol max dose.

I took senna and milk of magnesia - the bowels sorted themselves out after 2 days but the agony was unbelievable in the meantime.

The hospital gave me bulking agents which have never worked for me even if I drink gallons of water. Also the amount of time I disturbed in my room with ensuite (I went private) kept putting me off going.

My urine flow seems better now and it felt odd for a few days as I was finishing. The worst thing was having to drink masses for the scan, then needing to pee every 10 minutes for and hour when I left the hospital.

My bowels are working well now - I have to do a balancing act with the painkillers v constipation to give any relief.
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:38 AM

I haven't had any HRT and so far not felt any menopausal symptoms - fingers x'd. I feel so much clearer without any extra hormones.

My first week out I ate very healthily but I crave chocolate like no tomorrow.

I would like to lose weight, especially from the stomach. It was was large pre op for several years now.
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:21 AM

Hi 3 week sisters,

It is great to read all your posts to compare progress. I had my TAH on Jan 13th and have felt great from immediately post op really.

I haven't driven yet and am spending lots of time resting and looking up art things on the Tate gallery website - a brilliant site for anyone who likes art. I am hoping to start a degree in Fine Art later this year as a mature student so my op came at a good time for me really.

I had a couple of strange nights this last week where I had bad hot flashes and insomnia but I think this was because I had a Mirena coil in situ when I had the op so my hormone levels have probably gone a bit strange. This seems ok now.

I lost 7 and a half pounds after the surgery - the doctor told me my uterus was huge!

I have ventured into town, to my art class and today went to Costco and I have felt very tired after each outing. I am frustrated at not being able to vacuum, drive or iron but also enjoying the rest really.

Best wishes to all.

Annie
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:47 AM

In the US not wearing knickers is called "going campground". tee hee.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register