3 mos. post-op still swelly and achy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 mos. post-op still swelly and achy 3 mos. post-op still swelly and achy

Unread 02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
3 mos. post-op still swelly and achy

Hello ladies,
I am new to this site and am very happy to have found it. It's been 3 mos, exactly and my belly is still swelly, and now occassionally achy and tender, is it this cold weather, I live in the Northeast, or am I just doing too much?
I've heard it takes a full year, but I keep hoping not, I have to work, I commute every day by trains (2) I have to take care of the home. I've also started doing pilates and yoga about 2x a week, sometimes I will myself through the aches and hope I not hurting myself internally. I've frozen my gym membership until April. Is it normal to still feel achy at this point? Sometimes I feel pain/aches on each side of my pelvic bones -- it feels like balls on each side. I rest when I can, since I have just my DS who is very young.

I also get nite sweats which have gotten better, it arrives at 4 a.m. and doesn't keep me up, I'm taking vitamin E, I don't know if it's working or not. Getting to sleep is another problem. I'm open to other suggestions.
Does anyone suffer from any of this? I'd love to hear any suggestions.

I had a SAH and have only one ovary. No regrets, just missing my flat stomach and my constant energy level!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Dear Bricey,

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I am almost 5 months and am still finding I have limitations. It sounds like you are doing a lot so I don't think it is abnormal for you to be experiencing some of the aches and pains and swelling that comes when our bodies are stressed.
You might want to slow it down just a bit if you can. If you are having the pains in your side on a continual basis I think you should call and ask your dr about it.
I have experienced some the same things on and off and have found that by just being a little more careful and resting up when I get to hurting it will usually go away.
It also sounds like your hormones may be off. It would be worth a call to talk to your dr about that too. The sleeping problems are often a result of a hormone imbalance. Have you done any reading in the hormone jungle? You might find some answers there and also in the desert oasis they talk about natural ways to deal with some of these problems.
It's good to have you join us!

's, Rita
Unread 02-01-2005, 10:18 PM

Hi,

I am a 3 monther and am still experiencing a lot of pain. I am a student and returned to school and the doctor says my increased activity is causing scar tissue to tear.

Sometimes I get so frustrated and wonder when it was going to end.

I try to rest when I can.

I agree with Rita and think you should call your doctor and get checked out.

I am tired of my swelly belly too. Sometimes I look like I am expecting a baby.

Best Wishes,

Anomis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Hi Bricey

I am 11 weeks and i still have a swelly belly too! I also ache still, especially when i am tired, which is constantly at the moment.

I have tried a bit of treadmill, just walking, at a slow pace.
Its so difficult isn't it? I long to get on my bike again and fly down the street!

My hormonal tests have come back showing that my remaining ovary is hardly functioning, so i am wondering if this is affecting my energy levels.

There really doesnt seem to be any set guidlnes of how much is too much! And when is it too soon?

Anyway, good luck, i hope it helps to know i still have swelly belly too.

XX
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:30 AM

I am 12 weeks post op, and I still get achy. I was interested to see the comment about pain in the hip bone area. My pain is in my hips -- weird! I wake up with this most mornings. It goes away with Motrin.
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:27 PM

Hi Bricey!

Glad you found us! This is a great site!

I had surgery the day after you and I still have the aches and pains that you are talking about. My doctor said this is not unusual and that we are still healing at this point. Like preciouspearl said, pull back for awhile. My doctor said to listen to my body and when I hurt to stop the activity. If there is nothing in particular causing pain, just give yourself more rest time.

I was reading on another post about women at this stage (3 to 4 months) being really fatigued. This is to be expected for a good 6 months and maybe a bit longer. I have started to add more sleeping time each night after almost "collapsing" from fatique over the weekend!

Isn't this all just so much fun?? When I get discouraged, I think back to how I felt earlier in the recovery process and tell myself to "chill".

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. It's great to hear from others who are a bit further along in the recovery process!

Unread 02-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Hi there...Just wanted to add... I am almost 10 weeks, and still having the swelly belly thing, and discomfort. I definitly feel better than before surgery finally, but it is frustrating to still feel laid up. I went through the "no sleeping" thing for a week, still have a few problems there but nothing like that long long week. My DH would get up for work and there I'd be, watching TV from before he went to bed. I mentioned this to my doctor last week and he told me, I have an ovary so that doesn't happen. I felt like asking him if he wanted to come over and observe. It really upset me, because I know it is not all in my mind. I thought maybe my hormones were off, but he said that wasnt possible. After reading some posts on here I have read that it is possible! Thanx so much to this site... nice to know when you are not alone or one brick short of a load!!

to you all!!
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:55 PM

Bricey - Welcome & glad you found us!
I too am still having some pain occasionally, although on most days it's just on the level of annoyance, very background, and then some days - none at all.

The fatigue is another story! My energy level is through the floor. I'm sure hoping it comes back soon - I can hardly remember what it feels like to have any. Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've been sleeping more. Sometimes I'll lay down for 'a half hour' to watch the evening news - and wake up 12 hours later!

I don't have much swelling at all anymore, although it can come back at times after an especially busy day. I have my ovaries and I'm not having any symptoms that tell me they aren't working, so I'm not sure if the fatigue is directly related to that or not, at least in my case.
It is getting better all the time - and I can definitely say I feel better than pre-op - that's for sure! Hope you do too.
Take care,

joano
Unread 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM

4.5 months and no limitations and no pain. I wake up with a flat tummy, but by lunch its comming out, by dinner its so there, and by morning its flat again , how annoying. I'm sure its from all the excersise but I'm sure by next year it'll be gone? sigh
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
This site is the best!!!

Thank you all for sharing, at least I know I'm not one crayon short in a 64-box of crayolas.

I did check out the hormone jungle and am going to try natural remedies for now. It does seem that I need to try to slow down a bit, and instead of doing housework, after working all day maybe do some "me work" and rest!

I'm glad to know it's not just me, and I'll closely monitor my aches and make the appt with my doctor.

I'll keep you posted

bricey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register