How long till you were out and about? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long till you were out and about? How long till you were out and about?

Unread 02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
How long till you were out and about?

I had the same "boyfriend" moment when I read your post!

Here's a plan for you:

Make a small grocery list (max. 6 items)
Have DH take you to the store. Call ahead and ask if they have the motorized carts. USE IT! These are great to let you get out of the house without overdoing it. Be sure DH sees how careful you are being. Go home and rest afterwards.

Then a few days later have your friend call and ask if you can go have coffee (or lunch or something). Let DH know you'll be very careful and then go!!! HAVE FUN!!

Let us know how it goes.
Virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 01:37 PM

Just thought I'd let you know.. I went to lunch with my friend. Couldn't wait to get those clothes off when I got home! Now I'm back in bed a little more achey than before I left... but then I'm still glad I got out of the house. Oh well, guess I'll take a nap!
Unread 02-02-2005, 02:34 PM

I had an emergency TAH so I was not prepared. They put me on antibiotics for a few days so the operation would be safer. Then as soon as my blood work passed their scrutiny, I went in to surgery. When I came out of surgery, I felt in less pain than I had in some time (that is, the next day. The recovery room was quite unpleasent!). I went shopping with DH my first day out of the hospital (4 days post op). Bought lots of stuff. He pushed me around in a seat cart thing (don't know what there're called). I had a blast! Then I had to learn how to drive the mechanical ones. Not all stores have the push type. They're fun too. I was driving myself at 8 days post op (no longer using the carts). So I believe, if you feel up to it, go for it! You may be fine getting out and about right away, or it could be several weeks. WE are all different in our recoveries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 04:04 PM

.,My surgery was December 16.
I went to church on Christmas Eve.
I went out to dinner on January 3.
I went shopping on January 6, for a short time.
I slowly worked up with my activities.
I returned to work yesterday, February 1.
I made all my own decisions about how I felt and I suggest you do the same.
It is nice that DH is concerned, but suggest some ways he could be helpful without trying to make your choices, you are an adult!
Unread 02-02-2005, 05:35 PM

I posted earlier that at 5 days post op 2 days post castle I broke out to best buy and dropped by work to pick some stuff up. I was in a hello lot of pain in best buy and by the time I got home took some good drugs. I stayed in bed all day the next day and yesterday I painted 3 plates sitting at my dining room table. Today I ventured out to bjs with my parents. My dad wheeled me in a wheelchair because my mom took the only motorized one(she weighs 400+ so I wasn't going to take it from her). anyhoo we came home and I was trying to watch my soaps that were on dvr and fell asleep at 2 something waking up about 6. I was so dead to the world my dad did vacuuming and I didn't hear it.
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:33 PM

well I've just decided that since dh doesn't want me overdoing it he's just going to have to take me out! That should solve that. I do understand where he is coming from. From all accounts I almost died and scared him half to death in the process. Still I'm feeling much better and need to get out a little! Oh and bf is definitely best friend!! Lol Don't know what I'd do with a dh and a boyfriend!! One is enough! Hope everyone got a good laugh.
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:47 PM

I am having my TAH on Friday. I have been steering clear of the post op board for fear I would become more nervous (if that can be) and was very heartened to see all of you on this post doing so well so short after TAH.

I am proud of you and sincerely hope I can do the same. I have a hard time staying home--afraid I will go nuts!! I will not do anything to compromise my healing, but am hopeful after reading this that it may not be too long before I can venture outside in the real world, if only for limited periods of time.

Thanks and good luck on the rest of your recovery.
Unread 02-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Delightful to read posts!

Dear Ladies,

I just read all of your delightful and informative posts. I enjoy your sense of humor. I'm feeling better and more hopeful that I too, will recover! Thank you for sharing, very much!

Tomorrow I will be 10 days post-op. So glad to be on this side! I have not been out of the house yet, but I look forward to it very much. I have trouble with oral pain meds making me sick, so I didn't do well at first. Now I'm off all meds except 200mg ibuprofen when needed.

I get very tired by the end of the day, even though I spend several hours in bed off and on during the day. We all heal differently for sure.

Sure do appreciate all of you and this place where we can come and be encouraged and even entertained!

I wish you all the best and happy, safe healing!

Cinderellen
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:54 PM

I too thought "bf" was boyfriend and was I ever confused!

Now I guess I will have to admit what a pampered wimp I am. My surgery was on January 7 (will be 4 weeks Friday) and I have not yet been out of the house. I know - it's terrible. I have my first post-op checkup tomorrow so that will be my first time back out into the world. My DH still thinks it is too soon for me to drive (even though my doc said in the hospital I could drive at 2 weeks) so he is going to drive me to my appointment. A few years ago it would have driven me nuts to not have gone out for almost 4 weeks but it doesn't bother me now. I am comfy cozy at home and can still "go" shopping to my hearts content on the Internet. We have been getting an unusually large amount of deliveries recently! LOL

Lori
Unread 02-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Just had my 1 week check-up today. Incision looks great, Doc was impressed with how I was doing. Got the ok to drive. Light housework, still no lifting or straining. Feel very good. Still get tired and have a little pain in those muscles when I do too much. Other than that I feel great. Christy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register