2 1/2 post-op, & daily "healing" activities | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 1/2 post-op, & daily "healing" activities 2 1/2 post-op, & daily "healing" activities

Unread 02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
2 1/2 post-op, & daily "healing" activities

Hi sisters, I hope my subject title makes sense. My surgery was 1/17 TAH, kept ovaries. Fortunately, I feel better every day, but it's not fast enough for me. I have a couple of questions? How much activity is everyone doing? I basically can't stand being in bed any more, I try to watch TV in bed after 6:00pm, and try to take about 1/2 hour nap a day, though I'm not even tired anymore as before the surgery. But basically, I sit here at the computer for anywhere from a 1/2 to 2 hours working on projects, etc, or move from chair to chair either knitting or playing scrabble. I do very light things around the house, tidying up wise, or cooking also, for no more than 10 minute intervals. (actually, as I re-read this, I really do sound like a princess!) I am wondering am I doing as much as most women at my post-op point, or should I not be afraid to move and do more? I know everyone heals different. I do at about 2-3PM feel the dreaded pain on my right side return from I think just moving around, but it subsides as I sit and don't feel it all morning. I wonder if that is muscle or internal, it is becoming less and less but, it is still around. I haven't ventured outside, only for my post op appt, which was cancelled for an emergency surgery by my doc. I live in Chicago and here, there is quite a bit of snow left from a snow storm 2 weeks ago. Otherwise, I think I may want to venture out of the home next week, if most of the snow is melted for a couple of errands I need to run. Also, is it common to have a slight yellow liquid/brown discharge? I didn't my first week, but notice it now. I know it is not an infection. Should I have it ,and how long does it last? Finally, I feel fine overall but have momentary pains, like jolts, that aren't severe, but I feel this from time to time and it is in different places. Do I feel myself healing? I will see my doc next Tuesday for my rescheduled post-op I wanted to ask him these questions at my first appt, but will have to wait until next week. I was hoping for early feedback, from this post. Thanks for any input.

Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 10:36 AM

Hi,

I had my TAH 4 days before you on 13th Jan and I feel fine really. I have had very little discomfort and went shopping in the town centre for an hour last week for the first time since the op. I felt tired afterwards but every day it is getting easier. I went to my art class for 2 hours on Monday and had no problem apart from being a bit more tired than usual. I have had electric shock type discomfort as the feeling comes back in my tummy but I think this is just the nerves healing. I have had a fairly constant light bleed rather than a discharge and I expect this will get less as everything heals. I am doing very light housework for short periods. I did a marathon cleaning job before the op so it is easy to keep things relatively tidy. I am frustrated at not being able to drive, vacuum or iron but I am enjoying the chance to read books that I never got round to and there is a great free online art course at www.tate.org/itl that has been keeping me occupied.
Best wishes for your recovery.
Unread 02-02-2005, 11:25 AM

I had my surgery the 21st. Feeling good here too, but do have that pain you mentioned on the rightish side...I will ask the doc on the 9th of this month, about that pain. This will be my 2nd post op appointment. The first one was to remove staples and take out the catheter...They had to leave it in for a week as my bladder was knicked during surgery. I have a slight discharge of blood but that is it...I would ask the doc if it is anything other than a blood type discharge, just to be on the safe side...mmm k? Will let you know what they tell me about that pain on the left side. Take care.
Jana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 11:41 AM

I had LSH (kept cervix and ovaries) on 1-17-04, slept for probably three days....but went shopping for a while the 7th day. Went back to school the 9th day and back to work the 14th day.....altho if I could have, I would have stayed out of work for a month and just taken it easy. My mother had a TVH and was digging holes for trees the following week, my friend had a LTVH was too sore to do anything for two weeks but sleep.....You really have to listen to your body on this issue.....try a few small things and see how you feel....and don't push yourself too much!!
I had yellowish discharge but that went away by 2nd week...I did not have any sharp pains until I went back to work. now I have occasional pulling sensation and sharp pains here and there, and by the end of the day my belly is swollen and hard as a rock. My post op appt was rescheduled as well, so i am not sure if this is normal or not.
Unread 02-02-2005, 01:00 PM

I had my tah and left ovary removed on 1/17/05. I went yesterday for a check-up with my Dr. For me my main complaint was hurting in my tummy when i pee (not burning), didn't have an infection and said it was pretty normal and should get better. The soreness in my tummy is sometimes on the left, or middle or right and is better one day, worse the next. This too Dr. said for me was normal and should improve with time.

I too have wondered how "active" others with same/close surgery date are. I'm still not doing much as my tummy becomes sore and painful to stand or do much. It's definitely much better than it was but still definitely not gone. I've been doing a little light straightening of house but not much and no cooking (been very blessed to have a little help here). I have a 3yo though; this has been the biggest challenge for me as I've had very little help with him since day 7... probably what causes my pain to be better one day, worse next , what he's into from day to day, lol.
Dr. told me to not to do anymore (activity) than I have been doing yet and to take it easy.
I'm also getting restless but too tired to do much. Trying to just look at housework that needs to done and enjoy thinking that I don't have to feel guilty about it right now!
Unread 02-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Hi,
I had a TAH, BSO, Full tummy tuck on the 19th..Feeling great
I've gone out to dinner a few times, went grocery shopping last week. I've been to the doc twice and am going to gyno today. I am driving and have driven a little already. I am going to start walking on the tread mill probably tomorrow. I'm getting bored.
I've done a little around the kitchen.. I usually sit on a stool and cut up things,etc. I cut some fabric yesterday to make something, didn't get it done will work on it again. Just puttering around. I do get tired somewhat easily.
All in all doing very well.
Unread 02-02-2005, 01:39 PM

Had a LSH on the 18th. have that discharge your talking about. This is my second day out for a walk. Only 20 minutes, but feels good to get out. Have been to the mall and shopping with friends the end of the first week, but had to sleep for 3 hrs afterwards. Basically if I do too much I have to sleep. I hit that wall of tired.

can't sleep at night. Think my body is in shock from all the inactivity.

Happy healing,
Sirap
Unread 02-02-2005, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the responses. I sit here by myself and wonder if all the little things I feel during this healing process are normal, and it sounds that what I'm experienceing is common. I fret easy, actually, I overreact to something I don't understand. Thanks for the input, that helps put my mind at ease alot. Jeanne
Unread 02-02-2005, 03:37 PM

I had my tah, "I think that's the right abbreviation for abdominal hyst." on Jan 13 2005. I started doing things like vacuuming and sweeping during my second week. I did not know that I wasn't supposed to do that yet. So, I was worried and called the nurse at my clinic. She told me that I should not vacuum. She said to slowly ease into more housework but stop if I get sore or tired. It's been hard with a 2 year old and 5yr old. I find it impossible not to bend down to change a diaper or give a bath. My dh works all evening so I'm on my own. I'm trying to take it easy as I am sore still. I can't sit for long time or stand for long time. I have to balance it out. I'm still taking tylenol and ibuprofrin. I don't like being so immobile either. I can't wait to feel normal again. I'm used to being much more active than this. Anyway, if I try to take it more easy, I'm hoping I'll feel better.

Chris Turn
TAH due to fibroids, and adenomyosis causing extremely heavy periods. age 32

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register