Discharge Causing "Pad" Rash? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Discharge Causing "Pad" Rash? Discharge Causing "Pad" Rash?

Unread 02-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Discharge Causing "Pad" Rash?

You know how babies end up with diaper rash? Tonight I have "pad" rash from the horrible, stinky discharge that's been plaguing me for several days now. I shower in the morning AND evening and change pads as needed (especially since I can't stand to smell myself!). Tonight, while I was in the grocery, I felt a burning and when I got home and looked, I am red everywhere the pad touches and therefore where the discharge is. And I was wearing a larger pad since the pantyliners just don't cut it right now.

Has anyone else had this happen? Could it be the discharge or could I be sensitive to the pads? They're the same brand I've always worn, and considering that I'm only two weeks post op and have a few more weeks to look forward to with discharge, I can't imagine how raw things are going to get.

I also thought that maybe the stitches might be starting to come out today because I saw some really strange, white, kind of thready things, but it only happened once or twice and it wasn't very much. I didn't think they'd start dissolving until around 3-4 weeks. Am I losing my mind? Waaaaah! My bottom hurts!!! :burning:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 08:32 PM
skin problems

It could be that you have a skin yeast infection. I had several episodes of skin yeast infections after surgery. This is especially true if you have been on antibiotics (like I was) that lowers your resistance to yeast infections. Now that you are frequently moist in the area, it is the perfect setting for a yeast infection to set up shop. Also, my home care nurses stressed that the area must be dried thoroughly after showering. One nurse recommended using a blowdryer on low heat aimed at the area after towel drying to ensure complete drying.

I would check with your doctor about the stiches and at that time ask about your skin. If it is a skin yeast infection, there is a powder called Nystatin that can be sprinkled on the skin a few times a day. One of my nurses suggested getting the over the counter vaginal yeast infection applicators and rub the cream over the area.

Perhaps you could try something like Desitin first and see if that helps. If it doesn't, it might be a skin yeast infection. Hope this helps.

Karen
Unread 02-04-2005, 07:30 PM

Hi Kenzo, I didn't have the problem with the rash, but Idid have the smelly dishcharge, which I rermidied by folding a piece of toilet tissue about 18" long into a small pad placing it between my body and the sanitary pad. Then every time I used the toilet, I made another toilet tissue pad which eliminated the odor and also saved on pads.

Hope this helps ---------Marilyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2005, 07:41 PM

I used to get that when I had my periods, because they lasted so long and I wore pads.

I used vagisil or hydrocortisone cream (on outer skin surfaces that were irritated). It helped some, but the best thing was to allow air to get to the irritated area.

The blowdryer idea and Desitin mentioned in the above post sound helpful too.

Make sure you check with your doctor before using any creams that he has not okayed.

-QB
Unread 02-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Good suggestions!!!!

I bought some cotton liners at my local "health food store".
You may be having a reaction to the chemicals or the plastic they use in the regular liners.

The cotton ones are just like you are used to, only they are made of a cotton versus plastic material.

I hope that this helps. I hope your bottom feels better!!!!!
Take care of yourself!!!!!

s
Marcia
Unread 02-04-2005, 11:28 PM

One other thing I did as often as possible was I used the little spray bottle to totally wash off the disharge every time I sat on the pot. I dried off thoroughly, of course.

By the way, I hope you aren't carrying any grocery bags yet. Please take it easy!!!

Good luck and hope your rash clears soon!

Sharon
Unread 02-05-2005, 08:57 AM

Thank you all for the excellent advice. It seems to be a little bit better now; I've been blowdrying myself (aaaah) to make sure I'm good and dry after the shower. Today I started with the little toilet paper trick (why didn't I think of that?), just to cut down on the odor and to spare me from having to use so many pads. All the other ideas are appealing to me, too.

It just seems that this discharge is not only stinky but caustic. I feel like my pads have become a toxic waste dump! I can handle a little discharge; it's the horrible-odor discharge that's really starting to get under my skin. I hope it stops soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register