How Much help is needed with a LSH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Much help is needed with a LSH? How Much help is needed with a LSH?

Unread 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
How Much help is needed with a LSH?

I need some advise--I am scheduled to have a LSH with everything removed 2/24/05, my husband has been out of work so I never worried about needing any help--we also have 2 children 8 and 4, however a miracle has happened and he has been offered a once in a life time job in DC ( we live in VA) we had discussed this before I knew I needed surgery but now he may start work before then and will only be able to come down maybe for a couple of days? what should I do? both of my parents work-my sister lives out of town--will I be alright alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Hi Keri:

My boys are 12, 9, and 5 and were a huge help to me. My DH was only able to be home for the first week of my recovery. The only issue I had was not being able to drive. Luckily, I have quite a few friends that helped transport my kids wherever they needed to be during the first 2 weeks. (I drove 10 days post-op as I was off pain meds and feeling up to it).

I did accept help from my in-laws. My two sisters-in-law came down and spent the night. The first day, they helped with housework, laundry, and dinner and the second day they took me out of the house and went grocery shopping. My MIL came down for a Saturday and took my middle son to my older son's basketball game and to drum lessons. She also helped take down allof the inside Christmas decorations, including the tree. It was a BIG help! I also had 3 friends bring over dinners for us, and that was great because I sure didn't feel like cooking at all!

I would definitely look into some playgroups for your 4 year old so you can rest and sleep during the day. That was my salvation--I went back to bed after my kids went to school everyday as I had transportation for my kindergartner everyday. I was so anemic I needed the extra sleep and am now only taking a nap every other day at 4 weeks post-op.

I always had a list of things to be done so my in-laws could do the things while I rested. That helped a lot.

Good luck on the 24th! You'll be so glad afterwards--I know I am!
Unread 02-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Thank you for the help----I guess I am also concerned with how I will physically and emotionally going to feel. If I am hurting and sad then I only want my husband to be with me---my inlaws are coming down for my surgery and will stay for maybe 3-4 days I think and then my sister just called and said she can stay with me maybe a week and work from my home( problem with that is usually my sister and I can only be around each other for so many hours without wanting to kill each other ) and another road block is that we live out of zone and drive our daughter to school everyday-- and my son to all day daycare---how will I get them there--how will I pick them up? it is unfortunate that I do not have any good friends and know none of my neighbors.. sorry but needed to vent a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2005, 06:30 PM

also let me add that I am extremely anemic with a blood cot of 6.
Unread 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi Ayers,

I think with your in-laws and DS visiting, you wil have the help you need. My mom came to stay with my DH and I when I had my LSH. It was a great help. My DD is going to college and does not live with us and my step-DD lives with her bio-mom so my mom volunteered to help my DH.

The first couple of days I just needed people to play "nurse" for me. Mostly doing things that involved walking. Do not hesitate to ask someone to get something for you. It is just slow going for a few days.

Can you ask your in-laws and DS to drive your kids to/from school?? Maybe this is a good time to make friends with one of your kid's mom's. They will certainly want to help you out.

Post-op is the time to just "ask" for help. I normally want to do everything myself. And, in post-op I realized I had to lean on people and have them do things for me.

You will be OKAY in post-op. Do not worry!! I think the people we least expect things of in post-op...rally to help out.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 02-03-2005, 06:56 PM

Thank you and I really appreciate this advise--my husband and I are very close and I guess I just know I will be sad that he is not here with me---when is it safe to be on my own? to drive? etc... I really am trying to prepare myself but part of me wants to just cancel and wait untill later. any thoughts?
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:06 PM

Hi Ayers,

Truthfully...I have a very loving relationship with my DH and what happened with me in post-op was that I was glad to have my DH around right after surgery and it seemed like I "bonded" with my mom more. Like it was a "female thing" and she could totally relate to it and he couldn't.

I experienced some sadness right after my surgery when I was being driven home. The realization that even at 46 yrs old, I would never have another child. My DD's helped me through that. Just talking to them made me feel so much better. I realized with my bio-DD that my uterus HAD created her!! I hope you experience that with your two children. It made post-op feel so much better.

A LSH is a less invasive hyst so it can generally require less post-op time. As far as being on your own?? I can suggest letting "you" decide that in post-op. When you feel up to it. I got a greenlight to drive at 2 weeks. Biggest reason was prescription meds. They make one "foggy".

Your DH will be there for you. Even if it is on the phone, you will have his love and reassurances. Sounds like you two have a very strong marriage.

Hope that helps.

Mary
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:12 PM

P.S. I think we all have the "urge" to cancel. Waiting for surgery can be the hardest part. So do not feel alone!!

Mary
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Hi Keri:

Please don't cancel. I know it's a stressful time right now, but you'll feel so much better once it's all done. You won't believe how good you'll feel everyday.

I can understand why you're tired with the anemia. My count was at 8.3 after surgery, and I still battle fatigue and am taking iron to try to bring my counts up.

Take care, not much longer!
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Hi Keri,
Please don't cancel. I canceled my first date on a friday afternoon. By Friday evening I bled more then I ever had before. Called DR over the weekend and he said my appointment had been given away. Luckly I was able to get in a week later.

I think with some advance planning you will be ok alone. Kitchen stocked, phone near b, a friend to drop in. Hopefully DH can spend the first couple of days when you get out of the hospital. That is when I needed the most help. After that I was pretty good alone.

My kids have been of great help. 2,8 &11.
I wish you well,
Sirap

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register