Glad to be on other side! :-) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Glad to be on other side!  :-) Glad to be on other side! :-)

Unread 02-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Glad to be on other side! :-)

Hello Ladies! I had LAVH Tuesday, and can't begin to say how happy I am to be on the 'other side of the fence'! YAY! :-D
My recovery is going well, and some of my abdominal swelling is already going away, making it easier to get in/out of bed, and to sit. I was suprised to see I had gained nearly 7 pounds of fluid, but now that is dropping like a rock. I think all of the water I've been drinking is helping. For some reason ever since I was in recovery, I'm absolutely PARCHED! Kind of weird????
Toodles, I'll post more later! Time for a nap! <zzzzzz.....>
Janine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2005, 11:26 AM

Glad to hear you're doing well Janine. I had LAVH Tuesday too and am very happy with the progress I'm making. I can lay more comfortably and get up and down with much less effort.

Hope to talk to you soon. Keep up the good Princess training.
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm having an LAVH on 2/7 and I am nervous.

How was the procedure?

How long did it take?

What were the pros?

Did you have a foley bag afterwards and if so, how long?

What were the cons?

How long was your hospital stay?

Are you able to go up and down stairs?

What kind of meds were you give?

Most important, how was the transition in the recovery room? I'm afaird of th anatesia and the mask.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2005, 12:47 PM

I'm happy to share my experience with you. I had to arrive at the hospital at 530 for a 730 surgery. I was taken back around 615 or 630 to the preop area, they drew blood for typing and started my IV after I changed into my gown and got compression stockings on. I signed a ton more consent forms, including one for sterilization (I felt so stupid I at first thought the meant cleaning type of sterilization Obviously I need my coffee in the morning).

Shortly after 7 the anesthia man and my dr came and talked with me and the A man gave a shot in my IV. My brother said I got the giggles at this point, I really don't remember. I remember them telling me to move onto the operating table but nothing more.

I woke up in recovery and remember telling them I hurt and then, getting moved to my room. I was in my room by noontime and slept until about 2. I woke at 2 and started buzzing for pain medicine. I would highly recommend asking for a PCA machine as it took close to an hour for them to get me more pain medicine, I was NOT a happy camper at that point. Once I got the shot I dozed again until 7 or so when I talked to my kids on the phone.

I did have a catheter until 6 am the next morning, and I would say that was the most discomfort, or it seemed to be. I felt like I had to pee really bad, once I got the pain medicine that discomfort eased tho.

I awoke around 4 am the next day feeling really pretty good. The nurse brought me a cup of coffee and once the foley was removed we got up and walked. I did several walks up and down the hall waiting for the DR to arrive. I was released about 2 pm the day after surgery.

I moved gingerly that day, steps would have been do-able but not without great effort. Fortunatelly I didnt have any stairs. Each day I've felt better and more comfortable. I was able to shower the day after I got home without much discomfort. I'm taking it easy, getting up and walking some then laying back down for a while.

My Dr. sent me home with Percoset for pain, 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hrs. So far I've taken about 4 per day, including 2 at nite to let me rest easier.

I was very nervous as I only had my kids to help care for me etc. All in all I am really really pleased with how its gone, and I hope it continues this smoothly.

Good Luck on your surgery!
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Welcome home, princess! Glad all is well. May your entire recovery be blessed.
Unread 02-04-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks that was very informative. It's just pretty much me and my DD. She's wonderful but has the flu, so we'll see. When you awoke from surgery, were you real groggy, felt out of control, or were you just in to much pain to care?
Unread 02-04-2005, 03:08 PM

younique67,
Had my lavh on 1/24 and it has gone very well.
I work with my DR, so asked her to remove the foley that evening after I was awake enough, those things make me crazy. After multiple promises that I would get up to go the br, she agreed.
I awoke in recovery sleepy, but not really in too much pain. I did not have a mask on in the rec. room. I know they did give me meds in their though. I got to my room by 11:00 am and dozed until about 2. Talked to my mom for a while, then back to sleep from 2:14 til about 4 when my kids showed up.
The afternoon was uneventful except for a little nausea. The catheter came out about 6p and I was up to the bathroom in about 2 hours, and it was way easier than I thought. I was walking the hall at 10p and again at 4 am. I work on the unit I was on, so it was social as well as medical walks.
I didn't do stairs for about a week.
I did have a PCA pump, but only used it a few times, early on. I received Toradol IV, a non narcotic, anti-inflammatory every 6 hours while in the hospital. My dr. came to see me about 8, and after I ate breakfast and kept it down, the IV was out, and I was on Vicodin. By 12p I was in the shower and dressing to go home.
I was home by 2pm. I will say that you need to keep track of when your pain medicine is due and to take it scheduled around th clock the first few days. I think that helps alot. Don't wait until you are hurting to take it, just take it. Once you get behind on pain control, it is so hard to catch up. I was also given the toradol to take at home and I think that helped alot too.
I was only taking toradol after the 1st week except at bedtime and when I first woke up. Now I only take it at bedtime now, to help sleep better.
I am amazed at how good I feel, except for tired, but minimal discomfort. I was really good about resting for the 1st week and I really believe that helped.

Good luck, and try not to worry to much.
If you hurt ask for meds, otherwise rest. You won't feel much on the outside, but there is a whole lot of healing going on inside.
My doctor wanted to make a point because she knew I was likely to over do it, so she was sure to tell me that the only thing keeping my intestines from falling out my vagina, was 4 stitches!!
I am hear to tell you, I have been very very very good. That is not a "bowel" movement I want to have to deal with!!

Sorry for the long post, but it really has been way easier than I could have hoped!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register