rectocele and pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele and pain? rectocele and pain?

Unread 02-05-2005, 01:11 PM
rectocele and pain?

Hi Sisters,

I had a vag hyst at the end of July with A&P repairs. By Sept. I had developed a rectocele, although my obgyn wouldn't confirm that until just last week. He said just do kegels.

Well, I know that won't fix the problem, though it might buy me some time as I'm a teacher and I don't want to quit during the semester. Anyway, since doing more kegels, I'm having vaginal and rectal pain. I also now seem to have a hemorrhoid, although I've never, ever had one before.

Any guesses what the pain is before I call the doc YET again? He says I'm unusually sensitive, and I don't want him to discount the problem because of that.

Also, I'm going to look for another doctor to do the rectocele repair. If anyone knows of an excellent colon surgeon in NC, could you please let me know? Or if you know how to locate an excellent surgeon? I don't want to keep having problems.

Thanks!
Merlynne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 01:46 PM
rectocele and pain?

Hi Merlynne,

Your pain could have many causes.
I ended up with nasty internal and external 'rhoids due to the rectocele that I knew I had, but it took many months and a few different docs before I got the diagnosis confirmed.
The rectum pushes right up against the vaginal wall, so that can cause pain.
My suggestion, from experience, is do not let yourself get constipated and do not strain!!!!!

Do what you need to to keep the stools soft until you can have it repaired.

An experinced urologist or colon/rectal, in my opinion, is the best doc to do the job.
I would search the web, ask around (word of mouth), or call the hospital you use, and ask if there's some type of women's center. If there is, the person "in charge" should be able to steer you in the direction of a referral.

Remember, you CAN make an appt. to interview the doc.-ask questions, etc. That way you can find the right person for you.

Good luck!!!!

s

Marcia
Unread 02-06-2005, 06:33 AM
rectocele and pain?

Hi Merylynn
I had a rectocele and enterocele repaired by my gyn on the 25th of Jan. He really seemed to know what he was doing. Some gyns are comfortable with doing this kind of repair and some aren't. I did see im 1 week post op. He said no straining of any kind! He also said if things mess up he would send me to a colon rectal surgeon to fix things. I asked what kind of problems could occur if I mess up. He said it could lead to a bowel resection, colostomy, etc. I am trying to be good, because I don't want any of those things.I had hemmorhoids and vaginal pain and rectal pain before my surgery. Now my hemorrhoids are really flared up. I don't get it as I am using peri colace 200mg a day and was using benefiber. I have encountered loose stoles now and sometimes I can't make it to the commode in time. Go figure!!
I woke up this morning in terrible right sided back pain. It hurt to move. I finally made it out of bed and took percocets to help with the pain. It seems like a no win situation right now.
My dr. used a pig skin graft that runs from the vagina entrance all the way up to the top of my posterior wall to fix my enterocele.
Please try not to strain and stay on that fiber until you find the surgeon you want to use.

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 11:06 AM
rectocele and pain?

Thanks, Marcia and Peggy for your replies. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Peggy, I'm sorry you're having pain now! In the past I've had horrendous pain from gas b/c I can't pass it. Do you think that could be part of your pain? In any event, I suppose you'll check with your doctor if it doesn't go away? I did read that sometimes the bowel becomes a bit spastic after the rectocele repair until it calms down again.

Thank you both again!
Unread 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
rectocele and pain?

The problem I seem to be having right now that is causing discomfort and pain is my hemorrhoids. I have several skin tags, but only one is hurting. there seems to be like a kind of long, hard thing in there that hurts me. Why would this appear after rectocele repair? My vagina itself doesn't hurt at all.

Peggy
Unread 02-15-2005, 10:17 PM
rectocele and pain?

I too am dealing with a rectocele that was present before my hyst but has been worse since. I saw a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor and she gave me a lot more specific instructions on how to do the Kegels right for this condition. She also recommended I see a urogynecologist she knows rather than going beck to my gyn who did the first surgery. I think the physical therapists see A LOT so I suspect they know who the good doctors are and who to avoid. I'm not sure if I will need surgery again--but you can bet I'll get 2 or 3 different opinions before I let anyone cut on me again.

Lisa, 44 yo, TVH 6-16-04 for fibroids and uterine prolapse, uterosacral ligament suspension to prevent vaginal prolapse, anterior repair, and perineorrhaphy which was totally unecessary and resulted in vaginal stricture so tight I couldn't have sex for several months.
Unread 02-16-2005, 06:20 PM
rectocele and pain?

Lisalia,

Thanks for your email. Can you tell me more about the right way to Kegel for the rectocele? I'd appreciate it!

Merlynne
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:05 PM
rectocele and pain?

merlynn,

My physical therapist has me do my Kegels standing up, bending slightly at the waist, with my palms on a flat surface like a desk. She has me do the slow ones first holding for 8-10 seconds, then a rapid series of fast ones for 1-2 seconds each. I'm supposed to do them 3 times a day LOL! She says I should contract my transverse abdominal muscles at the same time. That part is really hard to explain--if you can manage it I would strongly recommend you see a physical therapist at least once so she can make sure you're doing them right. She says it is possible to develop a problem with "hypertonus" in the levator muscles and with the increased pain you're having, I hope you can get checked for that..

Good luck

Lisa, 44 yo, TVH, uterosacral ligament suspension, ant repair, perineorrhaphy 6-16-04 for fibroids and prolapse
Unread 02-18-2005, 04:08 PM
rectocele and pain?

I difinitely think a urogynecologist is the best to fix prolapse problems. I just had a Sacrocolpopexy (placing the vagina in the proper position) three weeks ago for total vaginal vault prolapse...I had a rectocele, cystocele, enterocele and a pelvic floor collapse in general. This all after my vaginal hyst in 2001. My Urogyn did the surgery laparoscopically which I am so thankful for...alot less pain. The surgery took 6 hours as he found my colon was wrapped in adhesions and my fallopian tube, which was supposed to be removed already, was stuck to my colon as well. Ugh! Things can really get messy in there!

As was already said, take a stool softner or maybe Metamucil...something mild like that so you don't have to strain and watch your lifting until you are able to have surgery if you opt for that.

I think this repair is going to turn out beautifully and I am so thankful to have it behind me. This was much scarier to me than my hyst and then a year later having my ovaries removed along with adhesions. I am done with surgery at this point and hope to never have to have it again.

Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register