Sticker Shock | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sticker Shock Sticker Shock

Unread 02-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Sticker Shock

Hi Ladies,
I just got the bill for my surgery and am in shock. I had a SAH that was very routine (only took 1 hour) and without complications. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. The total bill: $15,500 !!!!! I am so thankful that I have good insurance, but geeeesh! Anyone else care to share their experience with sticker shock?
Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Sticker Shock

My husband said that my surgery alone was $15,000. I told him to please not tell me any of the charges for anything else. We have good insurance, but still have to pay out the wahoo. I feel guilty for having this disease and costing all the money.
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Sticker Shock

I've been told that the price they show on the bill is inflated for the insurance companies. If you were to get a complete breakdown, it would be much lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Sticker Shock

hey my bills are still coming in. So far for everything we're at around $65,000. I'd gladly take $15,000!
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Sticker Shock

Girls my jaw is sitting on the floor, $15,500 - $65,000 WOW that has just totally wipped me out, do your insurances pay for all of that or do you have to put some towards it as well. Mine here in Aussieland coast $1,800 which we pay all and as you said LA41950 i feel so so guilty too, for having this wrong with me that used resources that could have been used more readily for the family, i really am having such a hard time coming to terms with just that.
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Sticker Shock

As a follow Aussie my jaw dropped as well! I have no idea about the costing of my surgery. It was completely covered by medicare (our govts health programme paid for through a levee in our taxes). I was in hospital for 7 days in a private room. I walked out with a bill for $21 for medication.....
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Sticker Shock

The doctor I used for my second surgery does not take insurance. I had to pay $10,000 up front! Ouch!
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Sticker Shock

we'll have to pay 4500 out of pocket. Mine was for more than just the tah though.
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Sticker Shock

Mine was around $25,000. I had LAVH/BSO and no complications, and was only in the hospital for 1.5 days. I think the hospital and doctor usually "settles" for about half of the listed amount. Still, I was amazed at how much it was. I had to pay about $1,500 out of pocket.

Barbara
Unread 02-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Sticker Shock

It is a bit depressing that these bills are so ridiculous. I am also thankful for the insurance through my husband's employer. We will still owe some, not yet sure how much. I think I'm running about 13,000 so far, 4 days is hospital, pathologist, pharmacy, every body and their brother gets their share in this I guess. Despite how nice my surgeon is and how well I was treated in the castle, I hope to never see them again! Enough is enough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register