Sticker Shock - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sticker Shock Sticker Shock

Unread 02-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Amazed at U.S sticker price...

I agree with Jewels1962 !

I am sooooo thankful to live in Canada...OHIP ( Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan) pays every penny...I had no idea what mine cost the government, because I never saw a bill, But I can only imagine from hearing all of your stories...Wow !

If you are a NON-RESIDENT here, though, you have to pay ahead of time....they don't bill you, can you imagine?

I had a TAH and was in the hospital for 5 days in a semi-private room.....I had great care and lots of meds. It must have cost alot. I do know that US medical costs are huge though.....my DH is from NY state and when we were first married and waiting for his Canadian Permanant Resident Status to be final, he wasn't covered in either country.....I held my breath every time he got sick or got bodychecked in Hockey.......the very day that we got his papers, I took him down to the OHIP office to get his card ! That was 4 years ago and since then, the only thing he has had to use it for is yearly doctor's visits...When my stepsons come from the U.S. to visit, I tell them to be careful not to get hurt 'cause if they do, we will have to put them in the car and make a beeline for the border (only 20 min. away)

Crazy, eh?

I am glad to hear most you have insurance that covers alot of it.
Don't feel guilty at all for incuring this cost. I know how you feel though. Even though we do not have the medical costs, my time off work has been financially tough on us with very little Unemployment Insurance coming in.
But, after all you do for your family and friends....You are soooooo worth it and more !!
The better you feel, the better wife, mom , friend etc.... you can be.

tiggeroo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Sticker Shock

Mine was about $25,000, but $7000 of that was for the panniculectomy, which we had to pay 100% up front because insurance wouldn't cover. Of the rest, I think we ended up paying a few hundred $$ because we were close to the out-of-pocket maximum for the year.

My biggest shock? The cost of the castle room. They had told me that a private room was only $35 more than semi-private, so of course I wanted a private room (which I got for one of the three nights).

When I got the bill, I saw $965, figured it was for all three nights. Nope -- it was $965 PER NIGHT for a semi private room, and an even $1000 per night for a private room. Talk about a puny markup for something so substantial!!!
Unread 02-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Sticker Shock

First, Sisters - I don't want to hear a WORD that you have any guilt whatsoever about being ill and having these expenses! You didn't choose to be ill - it's not your fault, and you are SO worth whatever it may cost to keep your health!!! NO guilt, OK?
Whew. Had to say that!
~*~

Uhum, look for me to be moving to Canada! (where's my mittens?)

I only have ONE bill in yet. I've had 3 admissions, totalling 12 nights, and 4 ER's. What a mess.

The one bill I do have (pre-op) was for 4 nights - $18,005, and I received a letter that they had reduced it to ZERO! A mistake? - I didn't ask!

I'm estimating probably another $50,000 or so...

(no insurance)

As I said, what a mess!

joano

(BTW, my out of pocket expenses thus far = $100 to the hospital + approx $100 for drugs)
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Sticker Shock

Canadian & Aussie Sisters,

What % do you guys pay in taxes?

You're definitely fortunate to not have such huge bills for your stay at the castle, but I know you are also paying the King more each month.

Unread 02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Sticker Shock

Hi Everyone,

Well I can't believe your over inflated prices and I'm very thankful I live in Australia and will be covered under our government medicare system of which we pay a levy through our taxes. This is one thing our government got right by the sounds of it.

When I leave the hospital I will not receive any bills, my doctor will perform surgery but I will mainly see hospital registrar throughout stay. I will see my doctor at times but this doesn't worry me as I'm not too fussed on my doctor but he's good at what he does and thats what is most important.

Take care ladies and speedy recoveries to all..........Karen
Unread 02-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Sticker Shock

WOW......I paid $10 co pay to see the gyn and the hospital stay and surgery nothing. I then paid my $5 co pay for the three month supply of Climara. Thank goodness for my insurance.
Unread 02-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Sticker Shock

Wow,I never even thought of the cost.I don't know how much mine cost nor will unless I go ask the hospital.
I am very thankful now.If we had to of used my husbands insurance through work I would not have been able to have my surgery at all.
With just his insurance for awhile we still could not even afford to see a doctor.His company once had great insurance then they changed to one that hardly covers anything for the 50 a wk they take out of his check.

We went through a real rough bad situation and because of it where able to get on medicaid for all of us for 1 yr and thankfully they completely pay everything.
Unread 02-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Sticker Shock

I had SAH with no complications on a Monday morning and went home from castle on Wednesday morning, stayed in private room because that is all hospital has I had my surgery 11-22 and still have not got all my bills. I have got statements from the insurance company about how much they were billed and if I add everything up around $30,000 but my out of pocket will end up around $1000. I just wish everything from hospital could be on 1 bill instead I've got hospital, lab, EKG, anesthesia all done at same place but billed separately.

I never asked beforehand how much any of this could cost because IT DIDN'T MATTER!!! I could not go on living like I was living and I had to do what was best for me. I even had to yell at DH it was not my fault I was sick, I didn't ask for this and wouldn't wish it on anyone!!! (I also had EA 6 months earlier which cost me out of pocket about $700. Fortunately I have the money to pay for this but even if I would of had to make arrangements with hospital to pay $10 a month forever I would have done it!!

I am so glad I did this. It was worth every penny!
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Sticker Shock

Just out of curosity, how long did you Canadians have to wait to get in to have your surgery? I heard because there are no fees that you have to wait months to have any kind of medical care. Is this true?
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Sticker Shock

I feel shocked that not only do you girls have to deal with being off work and healing your bodies that you have these unbelievable costs to deal with......do you all have insurance...how do you do it otherwise.....Our health system allows everyone equal opportunities for medical treatment....how do you afford it.....we pay nothing ...well wrong i paid 8 dollars for the use of a telephone in my hospital room for 5 days.....my biggest problem now is not money...but trying to go for my daily walk in our snow.....LOL......take care of yourselves all....I am looking forward to pain free days ahead....Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register