Sticker Shock - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sticker Shock Sticker Shock

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Sticker Shock

Sarree: I live in ontario.....I saw my dr on Dec 13 ...got a call 2 days later ...surgery booked for jan 19.....and I was not an emergency.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Sticker Shock

Mine was about 11,000. For a Lsh. I stayed one night. I have paid about 375. I sure am glad I pay into a insurance plan at work. I just got another bill from the anestesialogist Thursday for 140. What really bothers me most is all the bills you get from the labs and all the people that interpet the results. Our medical system needs to change. There is something wrong here. We should be able to have some idea how much surgery will cost upfront. Why hasn't our government changed to national health service. It would cost less for all!
Nancy
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Sticker Shock

Sarree,

I found out on November 17th that I needed surgery and I was booked for January 4th.

Jewels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 09:07 AM
cost

My total bill including dr was around 13,000 & thru agreement with my insurance they actually got 9000-had TAH & was in hospital 4 days. I did go to a teaching university but my dr was gyn/onocologist.
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Sticker Shock

I am thankful that I live in the UK and was covered by the National Health Service. A lot of people knock the NHS and the press stirs up fears about MRSA but the hospital I went to was great. Lovely clean modern ward, friendly efficient staff. I did have to wait 6 months for a bed but my only costs were the £3 a day for the bedside television (and DH had to pay £1.50 to park the car when he came to visit!). I was in for 5 days and my take home medicines were free.

Best wishes

Annie
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Sticker Shock

I didn't have to wait at all for my surgery here in Canada....I saw the doctor on Dec 6th and he said I had Fibroids, which were causing all the bleeding and he wanted to try meds, with no promises of successs......
I told him that we were not having any more children, so I wanted the TAH. I was so sick of the constant bleeding and the anemia etc......So, I was certainly not an emergengy ,as it was my suggestion to have the surgery ,and he wanted to book me for 2 weeks later.....I told him that I wanted to wait till January as it was easier for me to take time off work then (less busy), so he booked me for Jan 10/05.....

But, I do know of a friend of my mothers' that is waiting for heart surgery and has been for a few months.....Go figure! Really weird..

tiggeroo
Unread 02-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Sticker Shock

over here in California,

Someone asked for the break down of the costs. I had a TAB/BSO with 2 nights and no complications. This includes, 1 pre op and 1 post op visit.

TAB/BSO Hopsital $28,270.22
Surgeon 2,790.00
Assist Surgeon 2,000.00
"A" Man 1,050.00
Pathology 208.00
Lab 197.00
2 OV's 310.00

Total $34,825.22 Of this we paid $4,669.

Meds and supplies were under $100.00. The whole year of testing and visits were also extra.

My insurance premium is $ 451.00 each month.
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Sticker Shock

I had a LAVH and a hemorrhoidectomy on 12/29/04. I was in the hospital for 35 hours. Two and half weeks later I had another surgery due to complications from the hemorrhoidectomy. So far my bills total up to about $22,000 and still coming. I figure I'll have to pay about $4500. I have fairly good insurance, but I'm a single mom with very little child support so I hope the hospital will take small payments!!!!
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Sticker Shock

I thought my bill at 25,000+ was bad but 65,000. That is high. I had a three hour surgery. The dr bill was 9900 and the hospital was about 15000. The anesthesiologist was 1600. The only thing that is bad is that the insurance so far has denied $4000 because they said part of the surgery was unnecessary. I had an appendectomy with the hyst because my appendix had endo on it and the dr didn't want problems. I will have to call and get the insurance to re evaluate this cost.

I will end up paying about $1000 if the insurance agrees to the $4000. I have used up my ded. a long time ago and my out of pocket was only at about 500-800 before surgery. I am crossing my fingers that I can get the $4000 amount paid for.

Good luck.

Lori
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Sticker Shock

Castle - 3 nights private room/OR - $11,578.62 - don't know how much I'll have to pay yet.

Surgeon - $4,049.00 - I have to pay $77.13

Lab Tests / X-rays - $595.00 - I have to pay $27.84

Preo-op testing @ castle - $388.55 - I have to pay $133.88

So that adds up to $16,610.55 for 3 nights and 4 days in the castle. Funny thing is, my "spell" of ovarian pain which precipitated this whole thing and landed me in the ER was billed out at $5,010.05! And that was just for 16 hours in the ER, so I guess $16,600 is starting to look like a bargain for 4 days!

It's just sickening tho how little the insurance pays for everything. For example, the surgeon's bill was pared down to $694.23 and I'm supposed to pay $77.13. Now you tell me how that's fair! I love my surgeon, and I'd rather see him get the lion's share of the money, but they went and chopped his bill to like 19% of what he billed out. I know they all inflate their bills, but that's ridiculous. And people without insurance don't have anyone to chop their bills up, they're stuck paying the whole thing and that's a crime!!!

<Angie steps off soapbox...>

I do have reasonably good <oops, please no insurance company names> insurance, but I pay about $170 a month for it, plus whatever payments to doctors we have.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register