Accupuncture or Chinese Herbs?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Accupuncture or Chinese Herbs?? Accupuncture or Chinese Herbs??

Unread 02-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Accupuncture or Chinese Herbs??

Has anybody tried either accupuncture or Chinese herbs or a combo to get rid of fibroids? My chiropractor recommended it as a possibility but it's yet more money. However, if it allowed me to skip surgery it could be worth it. I'm scheduled for a hysto April 26th so don't know if that would even be enough time. And I don't want to reschedule for something that may or may not work. Done enough of that!!

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 12:15 PM

S

I'm hoping someone here on the Options and Alternatives board may be able to help you with this question.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks Mary Lou!
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Hi Kay,

I had two large fibroids and I can understand where you are coming from.

I would think that acupuncture and/or Chinese herbs might help to relieve the "symptoms" of fibroids such as pelvic pressure, bladder incontinence, constipation, etc. Truthfully?? I have never read anywhere that they cured fibroids.

Have you looked into any alternative methods such as a UFE ( Uterine Fibroid Embolization )?? Or possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a laparoscopic hyst??

Sounds like you are doing your research and I think that is the best thing to do. It will make you more prepared with questions for your Dr.

Your thread made me think about what fibroid treatment will be in 100 years. I think it will simply be a shot (if they still have those!!) in the arm. The shot will dissolve the fibroids leaving the uterus intact. We fibroid ladies will just have a "heavier" period and we will be done with our fibroids!! Or it will simply be a short outpatient laser session. With our medical science today, it will probably happen. But...hey.... if we lived 100 years ago, we would have none of the medical science we have today. Back then is when women complained about their "female" problems. It was probably fibroids!!

Best wishes. Keep us posted on your plans.

Mary
Unread 02-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Hi Mary,

Yes, I have tried several alternatives. I had a UFE last July to no avail. My family doctor sent me to another gyn and she suggested a new type of IUD that has progesterone in it. So we inserted that. Well, the fibroids knocked it out of place so I had great pain and got a bacterial infection and she put it back into place. I had a follow up ultrasound last week and the fibroids have increased in size. The IUD is nowhere to be found!! So either it's hiding in the fibroids but more likely it's been ejected during one of my more aggressive periods. So that's when we decided on the hysto. So as you can see I have tried some other things. I'm just very tired of having my period all the time and at times it is very debilitating. The accupuncture and herbs is a last ditch effort really and I was curious to see if anyone had tried it.

Love your idea of fibroid treatment in 100 years!! Sigh - if only that were now.

Thanks
Kay
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:36 PM
herbs

I have not looked into acupuncture. I was treated with herbal tinctures prepared by my naturopath--but that was before I found out I had fibroids. My ND suspected perimenopause & hormonal imbalance was the cause of my heavy periods and she might easily have been right. I'm "that" age although I had no other signs of approching menopause like hot flashes or period becoming less regular. I also used progesterone cream, all based on the suspicion of perimenopause.

Unfortunately, none of it decreased bleeding that I could tell, but that could have been because the treatment was aimed at the "wrong" target (perimenopause). I don't know if there's any herbal treatment specifically for fibroids.

cookie1956

P.S. I forgot to say they, weren't specifically *Chinese* herbs.
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:57 AM

Hi...I did try a chinese herbal formulated specifically for fibroids. My Dr./Surgeon is married to a woman who is a licensed practitioner of chinese medicine. They did not work for me. I also tried bayberry, which is supposed to control bleeding plus natural progesterone creame...nothing. Just the same bleeding bleeding bleeding. I am now considering UAE or Hyst...I want this over with!
Unread 02-12-2005, 05:54 PM

i don't know whether this would work for your situation, but I'll toss the idea out just so you can consider it.

I have fibroids and some other estrogen-dominance issues (including seizures related to elevated estrogen levels). I've tried various hormone treatments, including bc pills (bad) and progesterone pills (better, but not good enough). My old obgyn, who went to med school probably in the 1970s, recommended a vaginal hysterectomy.

The idea of major surgery and six weeks in recovery didn't sound too good, and I kept putting it off. Then I started hearing more about laparoscopic surgery, and saw an ad for a local obgyn who specializes in it. I went to see her, and she said it would be a fine option. I don't like to make generalizations based on age, but I think the fact that she's in her 30's and has been trained in the newest techniques gave her a different perspective.

Even with fibroids, they can dice up the uterus and slip out the pieces through the little 1/2 inch incisions they make. Sounds gross, but the recovery time is much shorter than with the other kinds of hysterectomy.

Then my husband and I got to thinking it over, and thought, if it's the estrogen that's causing the trouble, why not just take out the ovaries? In theory, at least, the fibroids should shrink by themselves once they stop getting stimulated by the estrogen.

I've heard of people who say their fibroids kept growing after menopause, but I'm thinking that may be because there are other sources of estrogen in our bodies--caffeine, dairy products (cows are saturated with extra estrogen to make them produce more milk, so all the cheese that we love is like eating estrogen pills!), chemicals like parabens in our shampoos, etc.

The young obgyn thought the oophorectomy was a great idea, and said we could always go back and get the uterus later if I decide it needs to go. So I had just my ovaries taken out last week, laparoscopic surgery. I was in and out of the hospital in one afternoon. I took one week off work. Today (8 days) I can do most normal activities, and I'm going back to work on Monday.

I'm taking Prometrium (progesterone) and testosterone cream. So far, no hot flashes, no bleeding, no cramps, no headaches--I feel great.

I realize this may not work for everyone, but it's an option I haven't seen mentioned often, and I think it might be helpful to people who just want to deal with the effects of high estrogen levels. Our philosophy was, try the least invasive solution first.

With my ovaries gone, I have to make a commitment to eat well and take good care of myself so my bones and heart stay healthy. That's something I'm willing to do.

Of course I can't make recommendations for anyone else--it's something you need to investigate for yourself. What I learned is, different doctors prefer different approaches, depending on how they were trained. Sometimes it's worth doing your own research on the options.

I hope you find exactly the right solution for you!
Unread 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM

Esue, you still around? it's 2009 now. I'm interested in your diet, what are you eating to keep your body in balance w/o ovaries?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register