stairs yes or no | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stairs yes or no stairs yes or no

Unread 02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
stairs yes or no

Just curious to know I am 2 weeks post I began to feel great after one week now I feel as though it just happend are back slides normal what can I do to ease this??? Ireally am careful not to over do it and one more ??? my bedroom is down a flight of stairs from our main living area how much effect do the stairs really have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
stairs

I think it depends on your surgery and on your doc. It is always good to call and check with your physician.

Mine told me stairs were fine when I got home, just to be careful so you don't fall. I did try and limit the # of times I went up and down.

It was important because all my clothes were upstairs!
Unread 02-05-2005, 11:04 PM
stairs yes or no

I was wondering about stairs too, I live on the 2nd floor of a 2 unit.
DM lives downstairs so she has been letting my 2 dogs out for me when DH isnt here, one is a puppy that I have to bend over a put her on a lead. I have a total of 45 stairs up and down. It does give me pains when I do it, but I have been here and there. Any advise would be great! I an 3 weeks out, SAH 0n 1/14/05.

I love this place! Good luck to everyone!

Patsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2005, 11:22 PM
stairs yes or no

I had a TAH and was able to go up and down the stairs the day I came home from the castle.

I aimed for only going up and down twice. Once in the morning upon awakening and once at night to go to bed. Nothing in between.

I took it very slowly and had either my son or hubby behind me for reassurance. It took a lot out of me to go up 13 steps, but I did it and was much more comfortable in my bed.

I think you have to listen to your body. If you try a couple of stairs and it seems too much, then stop. Maybe try again in a couple of days.

As for the back-slides, I remember feeling really good 1 week post op. Then week 2 hit me and then week 3 REALLY hit me. I attribute the first week's ease to the narcotics and anesthetic still in my body numbing me. Once that was gone, I truly felt the real pain.

I am 10 weeks post op and have way more better days than worse days. For the first month, I remember it was like taking two steps forward and three back. Some days were good and some days were crying, feelilng pathetic, tired out, grouching, regretful days.

For me, I turned around at about six weeks and then again at eight weeks.

It just takes time and patience....hang in there.

Hugs,
Sarah
\
Unread 02-06-2005, 12:19 AM
stairs yes or no

I agree with everyone else here. I have a flight of stairs just to enter my house but I truely believe in the hand rail. It helps support the muscles that are truely sore. Support your body with your hands and arms. It worked for me. The way my house is set up, you have to use the stairs no matter what so I had to compromise. It takes time to restretch the body muscles.
Tracy
Unread 02-06-2005, 12:58 AM
stairs yes or no

I was also allowed to do stairs when I came home, but to limit how many times I went up and down. Bedroom is on the second floor. So went down in the morning and up in the evening for a week or so. Then added more times as I felt ok going up and down.

As far as backslides at two weeks. I think this may be normal. I wonder if it has to do with the anesthesia fully leaving our bodies, taking fewer pain meds and moving around more. Take it easy and your body will adjust.

Jane B
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:30 AM
stairs yes or no

I'm 6 days out, and have been OK'd for stairs since day 2, the day I came home. (In my house, bathroom and bedroom are on different floors.) At the doctor's suggestion, I'm trying to limit the number of trips up and down, but it hasn't been too bad so far. I'm taking it very slowly, supporting myself with my upper body and pushing with the leg muscles rather than using the abdominals as much as possible. My doctor kept repeating that recovery is 2 steps forward and one step back, and to pay attention to how I felt, so.... That's what I'm trying to do!

Melissa
Unread 02-06-2005, 01:05 PM
stairs yes or no

I'm not having my hysto until April but was wondering about the stairs too. I have stairs just to get to my front door, then stairs immediately up to the main level, then more stairs up to the bedroom level, then yet more stairs to the terrace level. So it will be difficult to avoid them.

I'm sure the dr will tell me to limit how often I go up and down and that won't be too much of a problem since I do have a bathroom on the 2 main floors.

Good to hear some of the input here.

Kay
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
stairs yes or no

Hi! This is a good question! I'm not scheduled until 3/25, but my doctor told me maybe a good idea would be to try to stay downstairs as long as there is a bed & bath, and then try to go upstairs to bed. Don't know what I'll do yet, bedroom is up.

One thing I might try is to have a suitcase or " something" downstairs with extra clothes,make-up, hair stuff, perfume, (just to make me feel better), mirror, etc. These will be close by, and maybe use this as a "stash" to get what you need when you need it! If only I could move the computer downstairs too!

I'm so new into deciding what to do, I don't know if this will be helpful to anybody or not.

Good Luck to everyone out there needing any info soon!
This is a great place for help and ideas!
Unread 02-09-2005, 05:02 AM
stairs yes or no

I did steps with no problem the first week and most of week 2. Then. I started having pain. So at my 2 week check up I was told to limit the steps and bending. I must admit, I was up and down them 20 times a day! LOL! So I will limit them for the next week. So be careful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register