post op weight gain!!?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op weight gain!!?? post op weight gain!!??

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:40 AM
post op weight gain!!??

I am 8 days post op.

I thought after getting rid of my football size uterus, not eating for three days due to surgery prep and post-op nausea that I would lose at least 10 pounds. I have gained 6! My appetite is not yet back to pre-op levels, my bowel function has pretty much returned to normal.

I was so looking forward to finally being able to concentrate on me! I had been bleeding non stop for the 4+ months prior to surgery that exercise was impossible. I thought that football uterus I tossed and the not eating for a few days would jump start some weight loss for me!

Any suggestions/comments are welcome!

Thanks,
kirby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:55 AM
post op weight gain!!??

same boat here I would love to lose weight but I also understand that I can do little activity I am forcing myself to understand that I may gain a little now but once I am fully recoverd I can go for the gold I have set up a exersize class for later just so I know it will get better also get your self a buddy someone to help you and understand you but don't push your self now you have to recover that is what is important !!!!!!!! hope you feel better soon
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:01 AM
post op weight gain!!??

At eight days post you probably shouldn't worry about it. You need to eat healthy food to regain your strength! you maybe anemic and need to have some foods with iron. Just eat normal portions of healthly food and do anything without asking your doc.
I decided on day 10 that I needed to use the treadmill. Boy did I pay! My Doc was mad at me and lectured me. I had gained 6 lbs. during the first 6 wks. I started trying to get them off last week. 2 more to go. I had lost 40 lbs. prior to surgery and still need to lose 30 more. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 09:13 AM
post op weight gain!!??

Okay my surgery was Dec 3 and I also have gained steadly. One of my concerns before surgery was weight gain, and I asked my Dr. He told me that Hysterectomys did not cause weight gain.. if anything I would probly loose, after having everything removed.. Well I lost nothing and ave steadlty gained just like kirby. I also started to what I thought were light exercises but at seven weeks post op. AND boy did I pay. I was up almost all night two days later in pain. My DH was upset and lectured me. Told me my Dr. told me several months to heal.. I can use the tread mill and that at this time ids the extent of what I can do.
ANY SUGGESTIONS from sisters on what we can do to get this under control?? I have very few things I can wear with the swelly belly plus abdominal weight gain. And IT IS UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-06-2005, 09:54 AM
post op weight gain!!??

For the first 6 weeks after surgery my weight fluctuated wildly. I went up and down as much as 10 lbs. Now I'm actually losing a little bit every week and am 16 lbs below my pre surgery weight. I decided the swelling was retaining water and caused me to show a weight gain. Now that I swell less, the scale tells the tale.

I also realize, even with my limited activities, I'm more active than I was pre surgery because I even though I still don't feel great I feel much better than I did the months prior to surgery.

Don't worry about it this early into your recovery. It took me at least 8 weeks before things started to level out.
Unread 02-06-2005, 10:18 AM
post op weight gain!!??

When you begin an exerise program such as walking (at least 4 miles a day) you will eventually lose if you eat wisely. I too had a huge uterus but it doesn't way as much as you might think (maybe a couple pounds). I have frequently been disappointed in the past that nausea doesn't produce as much weight loss as hoped. Probably due to inactivity and maybe a natural tendency for the body to "conserve" some weight to maintain strength.

My doc approved as much walking as I wanted after a TAH. By week 3 I was able to do 3 miles (ability varies patient to patient, so ask your doc).

Eventually it will get better without the big uterus. I used to think I was hiding my huge uterus with loose waisted Eddie Bauer dresses. Since surgery I no longer wear them and people rave about how fantastic I look (I really haven't lost a huge amount). One person thought I lost like 80 pounds!
Unread 02-06-2005, 10:23 AM
post op weight gain!!??

I too was worried about the weight gain thing, because of the inactivity. I have lost about 10 lbs since surgery 4 weeks ago....

I just find that eating more than tiny portions makes me so uncomfortable. So, maybe my stomach has shrunk or all the distress my insides are feeling has an affect on how I process food.....I was so disappointed that spicy food, which is my favorite, had a terrible effect on me ....even 2 weeks Post op ! Why, I don't know. No Franks Hot Sauce for awhile , I guess!
That is hard with me living just over the border from Buffalo, N.Y......all those great spicy chicken wings !!

But, as we get better......things will all even out.....I am sure the weight gained will drop off fast as we become more active.

TTFN
tiggeroo
Unread 02-06-2005, 11:11 AM
post op weight gain!!??

I lost 6 lbs. w/in the first two weeks but now things have stopped. I'm trying to cut down portions and just recently started trying to walk. Good thing is that I really don't enjoy Pepsi anymore..too much carbonation When I had my periods and tried to lose weight it never seemed to work. I always had PMS, cravings, and weight gain. Now I feel like I have a whole new road ahead of me!
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:10 PM
post op weight gain!!??

Quote:
Originally posted by kstwister
same boat here I would love to lose weight but I also understand that I can do little activity I am forcing myself to understand that I may gain a little now but once I am fully recoverd I can go for the gold I have set up a exersize class for later just so I know it will get better also get your self a buddy someone to help you and understand you but don't push your self now you have to recover that is what is important !!!!!!!! hope you feel better soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register