In Need of Support After TAH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In Need of Support After TAH In Need of Support After TAH

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:49 PM
In Need of Support After TAH

Dear Cape Cod Sister,

One of the nurses at the castle tole me to take 2 percocets before going to bed so I would get a good night sleep. I found I needed 1 more during the day.

It is surprising you weren't given a prescription for stronger pain relief. When I shattered my wrist (2002) I refused to sign permission to operate until the prescription was written!

I did sleep through the night from the beginning. It was such a relief not to get up a couple of times to use the bathroom.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM

CapeCodSister - I am so sad to hear about your experience. Before I went into (sorry i am still knew here) the castle, I talked to a nurse supervisor and the Doc - they talked together too, and my low pain thershold was discussed. I know that in the recovery room, I could hear everything but could not open my eyes. One person there said "oh, she is either screaming or asleep." I wrote the admin about that. I am so sad that you were in pain and in a position where communication would not be in your interest!

I do want to tell you, that with pain, and pain meds, I did not sleep well - nightmares galore - but my emotions were the worst, the entire holidays and after . . .I cried, no wept for hours, days, then that finally got better. I prayed each day, several times, for my horrible thoughts and pain to be touched by god, to be taken away.

The whole thing is a terrible trauma - to the body, the mind and for me, my pride - I had a hard time accepting I HAD to take it easy (you mean, I am not superwoman? when did that happen?) and I had to ask for help. I wish I had come to this place sooner. I know now that I am not alone, and you are not alone either!

Please, don't rush yourself, call the Doc for pain meds if you need them and use them if you need them.

Madelle
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:01 AM

Dear CapeCod Sister,

I am two weeks post op and experiencing the same issues you are, the lack of sleep, the nightsweats, and the nightmares. I've found that taking my pain med (tylenol w/codeine) before heading to bed helps to some degree.

I've had a set back with a seroma that burst and now have an open incision that has to be cleansed and dressed twice daily. I too am having doubts about recovery and how horribly slow and painful this whole experience has been.

My best advice? Try to focus on the long range....that there are many of us in this same sense of dispair trying to get thru day to day, week to week. It's wonderful to read the posts of those who are 3months, 6 months.....and to realize that it does get better....little by little....good things come to those who wait.....the pain and suffering we are going thru right now will ease as time goes on and life will become more enjoyable.

My focus? Planning my summer Cape Cod trips.....love it there....I'm jealous of you

Best wishes as you recover.....I hope things get better and better for you!

Moonglow Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 09:24 AM

Pain meds can cause terrible nightmares. I knew before my surgery that I can't take percocet, it gives me awful nightmares. If any of you ladies are having nightmares while on pain meds ask for something else. Vicodin worked for me. I also found that if I could keep the swelling under control I felt better. My doc recommended three ibuprofen per dose.
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Dear CapeCodSister,

I have found that pain control involves trial and error. We all respond to different meds and you need to muster all your strength to be firm and vocal with your doctor until you find what works for you. Also, some meds will affect your psyche (Vicodin makes me crazy!) as will the hormonal issues surrounding the surgery. You are very early in your recovery but you must believe that each day gets a little better. You are not alone....we are always here for support, kind words, advice, prayers and s !!

Hang in there
Jennifer

TAH/BSO w app 1/14/05
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Everyone has different reactions with respect to pain meds.

Tylenol 3 (with coedine) gives me nightmares but percoset does not.

The difference between percoset and vicadin is that one includes tylenol and the other aspirin. I don't remember which.

What I'm trying to say is trial and error may be necessary.

I'm sorry your hospital experience was sub par and am sending you

A good night's sleep is important to recovery. Also keeping ahead of the pain.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Susan
Unread 02-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Update

Well, thanks to those who are keeping me in your thoughts and prayers...you have mine, too.

These last couple of days have been a little better since getting more pain meds (Oxycodone 5/325 in addition to the Ibuprofen 800 mg.) I guess I was supposed to get the Oxycodone when I left the hospital, but somebody messed up. (Side note: Cape Cod is a beautiful place to live, but the hospital here leaves a LOT to be desired) The nights are still rough with the nightmares and nightsweats, but from reading the posts I guess I'm not alone in experiencing these. I do look forward to the days and nights in the future when I'll feel better and sleep better. Still, it really helps to know that you all are as close as my laptop!

One good thing is that from my bed I can see the squirrels and birds on the feeders in the backyard and they always make me smile. It's been a few days since I've felt like smiling, so this must be progress! My dear neighbor even offered to loan me her cat to keep me company throughout the day...I thought that was awfully sweet.

Swift recovery to you all!

Cindy in Cape Cod (come and visit me...Sisters welcome!)
Unread 02-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Sleepless nights

Hi Ladies,

I agree with everyone who's posted here! We all need to sleep and yet sleep seems to be the one constant that we're all struggling with. I can't help but think it's relate to anxiety. Yes, there are several other things playing into this - hormones, pain meds, etc. But anxiety should not be ruled out as a major factor. I know that I have no trouble falling asleep at night, but within a couple of hours, I am wide awake and my heart is racing. The panic sets in and that just exacerbates the whole situation. What a vicious cycle. I'm trying to focus on working through the anxiety. I find that if I can get control of it before it controls me, I can usually get back to sleep. I've tried some deep breathing exercises and that seems to help. I actually may try not taking any Ambien tonight and see what happens. (I'm 3 and half weeks post op). I'll let you know what happens. The good news is that this can't go on forever, right????????

Sweet dreams to you all,

Sue

ps - a nurse practicioner friend of mine told me that it takes a full 6 weeks to work the anesthesia and the pain meds out of your system and a full 6 months to a year to fully recover from the trauma of this surgery. My uncle (who is a physician) added that this surgery is more traumatic to the body than open heart surgery!
Unread 02-09-2005, 05:46 PM

GOOD NEWS!!

The staples don't hurt when removed. You can feel it a little but for the most part no pain!!!

I had mine taking out on the forth day after surgery.

Good luck!
Kristy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register