Hematoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Hematoma

I went into older threads to read on this hemotoma topic, and now I am terrified. At my 6 week check up (last week) the internal made me black out from pain. the vagnal cuff is not healing. the internal was bad enough, but the swab of the cuff, I lost it. So off to get an ultra sound - well I could see in the screen how large this thing is. the Doc's office called to tell me there is nothing to worry about, that it will likely reabsorb(sp) but this is likely why I am feeling so fatigued still. So at 7 weeks, (she wants to see me weekly) I could not endure the internal and we stopped it. I have not been given antibiotics and my body gets very out of whack when I am given them (I get yeast infections all over the place) and I am afraid that there may be more surgery. I mean, this thing is huge - 8 cm by 7cm by 2 cn deep. Or is that rather small for a hemotoma?

I just feel worse after all this hysterectromy than I did before. I felt pain before, but not this fatigue. I feel that all the energy I have is used at work, and I do take it easy every night and all weekends - still cannot lift, even laundry feels like a huge rip inside.

Any thoughts? Anyone experience a hemotoma that did finally reabsorb? How long did it take? when it was gone, did your energy increase?

thanks for listening to me blather about this, but it just seems one thing after another and I am so tired, that I want life back. I have had to put some rather significant events on hold due to this fatigue. I say, so be it, but this is taking a lot longer than I thought, and now. . . a complication - gee.

Madelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Hematoma

I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. This isn't making your recovery any easier!

I didn't have a hematoma, but I'm hoping other sisters who did will answer and give you some information and encouragement. In the meantime, here's a for you.
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Pain meds?

Oh Madelle

How horrible! You poor girl! I'm so sorry you're going thru such pain. This is the first I've heard about hematoma, so I'll be curious to hear how this goes for you. Are you able to take pain meds? I hope you can have some relief soon!

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Hematoma

My hematoma made me feel very fatigued and gave me a fever of 101. I also felt very "heavy" in the swelly belly. But my hematoma also partially took care of itself because it decided to "bleed out" through a part of my vertical incision. I also got two different rounds of antibiotics followed by a pill that counteracts the "yeast" problems that follow antibiotics.

My doc said if it had not have "bled out" on its own, I would have had to come into the office and get it drained by the doc....
Wonder why they didn't offer that to you. Might would have saved you the days of "absorption" and fatigue along the way.

Hope you feel better soon and know that it is a common problem.

MindySue
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Hematoma

Thank you all so much. I am hoping the Doc will just drain the thing. this is really slowing me down and yes, I get fevers, not bad though, and I have pain meds I use very conservatively. Plus I take anti-inflamitory meds. Things is, everyone here thinks it is hinky the Doc did not charge me for any services rendered after they found the hemotoma (she and her nurse really are very good to me, since they know I have no pain theshold). . . so I hope they do something about it soon - then I hope to not feel this pain and also get some energy. If I don't use more cosmetics (than usual) everyone tells me how pale I am. . . so the draining it sounds wonderful to me - I am going to ask them about it. She always wants an ultrasound. . . before she does anything. I go see her in 2 weeks, and if it is not better, I will ask for the draining option to be seriously looked at.

Again, thanks you all. I am new here and have learned a great deal. My DH is so good to me. . . but this is getting him tired, doing everything. He leaves in a week for 3 weeks. . . I just need to be doing things for myself more, hot heavy stuff, but to at least be able to do laundry and dished without feeling I am going to faint.

Thank you all.
Madelle
Unread 02-08-2005, 05:34 AM
Hematoma

My hematoma was discovered after I staggered to the Doctors 2 weeks after having my op. I was in severe pain and exhaustion and I had a very high temperature and thought I was having a period. They tried to disperse it manually but it was too painful so they put me on two different lots of antibiotics for 5 weeks. I had ultrasound scans weekly for 3 weeks until, at last, on Christmas Eve I was told that it had dispersed. Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Diane
Unread 02-08-2005, 05:44 AM
working so soon

Dear Madelle,
I am very sorry you are fatigued and discouraged. Please also remember that you are only 7 weeks post op, and many have not gone back to work so soon, especially if they have complications like you do.

You might consider working only 1/2 days, or take some more time off to allow your body the energy it needs to take care of this.

I know everyone needs the money, but if you are not healing and are still so fatigued, you might end of with more trouble for longer and still miss out on the money.

The thing about work is that sometimes it can be done if we really push ourselves, but should it be done for our health?

Just something to consider
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Hematoma

I developed a hematoma at 2 weeks post-op of my colon surgery. I remember being very upset--it also looked huge. I didn't know anything about it and I felt awful. I was on antibiotics for three weeks though I felt much better after I stopped those. I had two CT scans that showed it was getting smaller. The doctor said that it would reabsorb and when I saw her at 10 weeks she said it was probably gone. The only way to know for sure was to do another CT scan which she didn't think was necessary and I didn't want. I didn't care to drink any more contrast!!!

I went back to work part-time at 6 weeks and full-time at 9 weeks. I am 3 1/2 months out now and I feel fine. Hang in there--it will get better.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Hematoma

Thank you all - the pain has spread to all over my abdomen - up above the incision (bikini) and from hip-to-hip - I called and they are getting me in Monday. If it gets worse, I will go to the ER.

Thanks for all the sharing you gave to me.
Madelle
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Hematoma

Madelle,
I'm sending you tons of hugs. You've given many of us great support and kind words.

Kindness to you,
Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register