Hospital stay?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital stay?? Hospital stay??

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Hospital stay??

Ok guys, I don't really know too much about having this type of surgery at all, but after reading some of the questions, and stories on this site I am a little puzzled. I know that medicine is a really great thing and that times have changed a lot in this field. I have been reading that most women have stayed in the hospital for a number of days. Now I was under the impression that this has changed also, so how many days is a normal amount of time to stay in the hospital? I ask because I am a really "hater" when it comes to being in the hospital, when I was bleeding very heavy, I wouldn't even go to the ER, because I can't stand them, so can anyone help me out with this question? [IMG]http://[/IMG]
  Quote:
"really scared"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Hospital stay??

I guess that it depends on your hyst type and your doc....

I'm having a TAH/BSO and I'll be in the hospital,"Three days, give or take one", says my doc. I've seen other women post here that've had less invasive surgeries and are going home in 24 hours. There are also women who've posted that have stayed for longer than I will.

It's all up to circumstance.
Unread 02-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Hospital stay??

Hi There!

What type of surgery are you planning to have? I checked your profile, and you didn't specify. You would need to check with your doctor for certain, but the usual stay for a standard TVH is 2-3 days, and for TAH 3-4 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Hospital stay??

Best of luck to you, and I hear you about hospitals, you'd rather be in your own bed, I know I would.

Didn't see the type of surgery you're having either. From my experience, laps are "belly-button" surgeries and usually allow you to go home after you wake up fully. I'm having mine at 3pm, and they tell me I'm going home, great, but not sure-depends on what he finds. Sometimes I hear you may have to stay one night, but again, don't know what type of surgery you're having.

Be well soon
Unread 02-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Hospital stay??

Hi!

After spending so much time in a hospital as a child, the last thing I wanted was a long hospital stay. (For me, long is anything over an hour!) I asked the Dr if I could go home right after the surgery. Right!!!

I had a TAH including both ovaries and reconstructive surgery on my right side on Monday, 24 January 2005. I was discharged the following Thursday morning.

My family had a lot to do with getting me through this long stay. My husband stayed overnight with me reassuring me, running to get ice chips, water, making sure I was getting enough pain meds, holding my hand, talking to me, taking me for walks when I was allowed out of bed, taking me to the bathroom, and in general keeping me laughing. When he wasn't there, another family member was. I was never alone with just the hospital staff. This was a total surprise to me. My family got together and arranged their work schedules around my needs. What a great family I have! That added support and caring made it easier for me to deal with the feeling of being trapped in the hospital.

I hope all goes well with your surgery. Family and friends DO make a big diference.

I'l keep you in my prayers for a speedy and quick recovery.

Hang in there! KayAnn
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:01 AM
Hospital stay??

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelsAnswer
Didn't see the type of surgery you're having either. From my experience, laps are "belly-button" surgeries and usually allow you to go home after you wake up fully. I'm having mine at 3pm, and they tell me I'm going home, great, but not sure-depends on what he finds. Sometimes I hear you may have to stay one night, but again, don't know what type of surgery you're having.

I have not seen anyone here post or hear of you leaving the same day as a lavh.I had the lap incisions at the belly
button and at the pelvic bone and got the lovely vag stitches inside and I was out of surgery at noon Thurs and left castle Fri evening.

I left same day for a lap tubal though.

Like others say it depends on the surgery you are having.Lavh is the best to recover from so they say and it is typical to stay overnight for it.

It can go longer even for it.There are these things I did not know about going into the castle but If you can't pass gas by the day after they may keep you.this is very important!

I didn't know how much so till after I got home and found out.

They would not let me eat and sure wouldn't of let me leave without passing gas 1st .
Well I was so hungry 48 hrs no food I asked the nurse for food she had a accent I could barely understand and she was hateful She said no eat till you pass gas.

I looked at her like she was crazy.I said well I don't usual pass gas in the mornings lol

She just said very important pass gas,try walking.no food till gas,

Never once did she tell me why it was so important.
I call dh crying saying get down here now they wil not let me eat till I pass gas and nurse says walk to help. So 1st she helps me walk around the halls then dh got there and took over and I walk and and still no gas.

I was so confused why I had to pass gas before I could eat.

She listens to my belly says she hears movement good sign but still no food till I passgas ,ok I am fed up now so next time she asks I did big no no and lied and said yes i passed gas ,happy now.
I got to eat and get busy working on other things I had to do so I could get discharged..

I get home and felt like a balloon ready to pop still had not passed gas and no bm's and I hurt.
Finally I figured out myself I need help and hubby got me a stool softner/laxative combo which was my lifesaver after 1st bm which took a couple of days
Finally I started getting rid of the gas but ouch ouch.a few days later and found out about gas x.Be sure and have this at home for you a long with a good stool softner/laxative combo medicine.
I have read from others here how they have had to stay till they passed gas some never did and finally got sent home and despite not passing gas and the
ended up with trouble that led back to the castle.

Also other things can keep you a little longer like running a fever,how fast you get up walk,go pee and other things.
All depends on Doctor/nurses.hospital guidelines.

I can relate to you wanting to get out as fast as possible.I hate hospitals.After eack kids birth I wanted out in less then 24 hr stay.
I thought I would not mind staying with this surgery after all I could use a break from 4 kids and hubby ,I figured I could no way get rest with them all around and I did like having a pump with pain medicine that could control how often i took it.

But I was so sleepy after surgery all day and I only wanted to sleep but kept getting bugged to wake up.
They thought I was sleeping too much.
That night I was alone, dh had to be home with kids and they wake me up after trying so hard and then No nurse to be found for hrs and took forever to get 1 for simple things like ice chips .
I finally crash out again to be awakened by them checking vitals I swear seemed like every 15 mins or coming in at 5 am to take blood etc.I thought heck I could even with kids at home get more sleep then here!
Also I missed my bed .I missed my kids and worried about them with dad in charge,

Take your own pillows it will help you feel some better trying to get comfy in those hospital beds specially if your back bothers you at all.

good luck to you,I hope all goes well and you get out and home fast.
Unread 02-07-2005, 05:55 AM
variable hospital stays

Hi dede2fun!
I notice you are a Jersey gal too! Good for you-"if you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere!". My Dr. initially told me one night for an abdominal, two at the most-dictated by the insurance company. This made me nervous, how could I be in and out so fast? The day of my surgery she sailed into pre-op singing the praises of my Michigan based insurer, who had approved 3 nights, and would go 4 if she asked. Guess what? The first night was sleeping from all the anesthesia, meds, etc. The next day I was up and about, slept like a rock, and got up at 5:30am ready to book. My Dr. came at 8;30 am and discharged me. I am one week post op and feeling mighty good! A little achy at times, but no real pain, a little tired, but not exhausted, moving around easily without pain, but not ready for a cartwheel. Best wishes for an easy suegery and a speedy recovery!
Unread 02-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks

Well ladies, that's the whole thing, I don't know what type of surgery I'm going to have yet, I guess when I go back to the doctor on friday, he will let me know all of this. But yes it's true that I don't want to be in the hospital any longer than I have to, I rather be home in my own bed. You know how people tend to get sicker while their in the hospital, well that's me. At this point, I don't care if they rip my Uterus out of me, just take it out, NOW! I'm in so much pain that I don't remember when I'm not in pain. But thanks for all the advice, because I really needed it, and always remember to pray for me, because this pain is overcoming me. Holla!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register