Scuba Diving Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scuba Diving Post Op Scuba Diving Post Op

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

Hi!

My husband and I have a diving trip to Honduras planned for 5 March 2005. I had a TAH (including ovaries, a hemmoragic cyst on my right ovary, many fibroid tumors inutero, etc) on 24 January 2005.

Both my Dr and the Anesthesiologist (spelling) are divers and have assured me I will be able to dive and enjoy the trip. Are there any other divers out there? Will I really be recovered enough to carry my tanks? Will my cervix be closed to infection from the water? What should I expect?

I am still having difficulty finding the right balance between overdoing it and not doing enough. I really want to be healed enough to enjoy this trip. Any sugestions?

Just waiting...

KayAnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

Hi KayAnn,

I have not had my hyst yet, but I am a diver. I reckon that if your gyn thinks that your vaginal wound will be healed at that time then I am sure that from that point of view you could go ahead.

I do think that there may be some difficulty with carrying your tank - perhaps you can put it on after you are in the water if someone can hold it for you. ALso, if you are planning on wearing a steamer or wetsuit you may have a bit of trouble getting the zip up if your tummy is sore and swollen.

Overall Ireckon that the pay-off will be worth it. Once you are in the water then the weight of the tank will be off you, but I think you will be more uncomfortable than normal. It would be a nice way to recover though! My feeling is that if the surgeon feels you will be OK health-wise you should go for it (with a bit of help as those tanks are pretty heavy!)
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

Hi Kay Ann - As a former dive instructor (OK, it's been about 30 years! LOL), knowing what I now know about a TAH, and about diving too (I don't think anything has changed that much) - I would be VERY concerned about your upcoming trip.

First of all - you'd be barely six weeks. I can't think of many activities that use your abdominal muscles as much as diving!

Let's start out by assuming someone else can carry your tank to you (I'd suggest only one at that point) while you're still in the water, and help you put it on so you don't have to twist at all - OK that might work - but even in the water, it still weighs plenty.

Next question is - the weight belt. I cannot imagine being comfortable with that - regardless of the type of hysterectomy I had, pressing anywhere on my abdomen.

Then, let's say you're now in the water and you have observed all the good practices of having your buddy right there with you - you have swum INTO the current for the first part of your dive, so it will help carry you back to your starting point when you're more tired. Now - what if the current shifts - and you have to exert alot of effort to get back.

Say you misjudged how tired you really were - or you pulled something and are now in pain. Let's say whatever you pulled is now bleeding a little, and you're bleeding into the water. And now you and whoever you're with are shark bait....

And then let's say, somehow you get back onshore, you're back in your hotel room, and you have a complication (ahem, CAUSED by your dive) - something that requires at least a doctor, if not a hospital - and there you are in HONDURAS. How would you handle that? And would you want to be in the position of needing that in a foreign country? (read low-tech)

I'm a little amazed, NO, I'm VERY amazed that your Doc and A-man (I can't spell it either!) would think this is no problem.
Not to say it might not be, but then, it could....

I would seriously consider rescheduling - for at least another 2 months out.
That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

joano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

I had my surgery shortly before yours and will absolutely not dive on our Mexico vacation. The stress on the abdomen is incredible as I have experienced there is no way I would want to wear a weight belt or a tank at this point. I am recovering extremely well from my SAH, walking 2 miles a day and there is no way I would dive. I will be waiting until our '06 trip to do any more diving.
Please reconsider. Hopefully you will hear from others that have had this experience.
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Re: Scuba Diving Post Op

Quote:
Originally posted by KayAnn
I am still having difficulty finding the right balance between overdoing it and not doing enough. I really want to be healed enough to enjoy this trip. Any sugestions?

Just waiting...

KayAnn
I have never done scuba so I will leave that to someone else. What I am concerned with however is the fact that you are just 2 weeks postop and you are talking about overdoing and not doing enough. YOu really shouldn't be doing much at all at this point. If you look at the top of the page there is a link called checkpoints. Here you will find a lot of information about your surgery and also guidelines for the do's and don'ts depending on how far out of surgery you are. Click on the 2 week mark and you will see that you have a lot of restrictions and not much different for 3-4 weeks. There is a reason the docs give us 6 weeks off for a TAH. It is a major surgery and takes a long time to heal, actually 6-12 months to completely heal from it all. So take it easy, I would hate to see you hurt yourself or cause damage so soon after surgery.
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

I totally agree with joano!...........just postpone the trip. And, even your doc will not know if your cuff is healed until a visual exam is done at 6 weeks.

I truly think your trip would be so much more enjoyable if you just delay it a couple of months. Take care.................., Deb
Unread 02-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

I know it's been a while, but I did want to thank everyone for their responses.

I had my 2 1/2 week check up on Wednesday. The Dr said I was healing rather quickly. He used dermabond on my top layer instead of sutures or staples and this has healed remarkable fast. I realize I still have a lot of healing on the inside.

His sugestion on diving was to use one of the BCD's that has the weight belt in the pockets held on by velcro. I have actually been looking at this BCD since last July. Probably going to purchase it and get rid of my other one. The Dr said I should be okay to dive, but like anything, I should take it easy and listen to my body. If after one dive I am tired, then no more dives that day. This sounds reasonable to me. He thought I would enjoy my time in the water and that it would be theraputic. We are diving in a group with my husband's firm and since I know many of these people I feel a little safer with them.

I have been taking it VERY easy since I wrote the initial query. I have not lifted a finger to do anthing around the house including the cooking and grocery shopping. I feel much better after realizing I was not superwoman and didn't have to "push" myself so hard.

I really appreciate the website. I have learned so much and feel not alone in what I'm going through. You're a great bunch of sisters.

Thanks for being there!

Always...Kay Ann
Unread 02-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

I am so glad you realize that we don't need to be superwoman and that you have started to take it easy and rest. Kudos!!!
Your doc gave you some very good advice and I am glad to hear that you will be with people that you trust. Continue to rest and let us know how the trip goes when you get back!
Unread 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Scuba Diving Post Op

Wow there's a subject header you don't see everyday!

I have never been diving, but this was very interesting to read about!

Good luck for speedy recovery,

--QB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register